Phonak Naida L50-SP - programming issues

Heard about it and I’m sure there would be some awesome features but I tried some UP receiver in the past and there wasn’t enough power, don’t know if it’s changed in the past 5 years

I’d probably need a Naida and waiting more than a couple months is no longer an option since I waited wayyyy too long to replace my current hearing aids, I’m afraid they will no longer work by then… and I can’t afford to not be able to hear properly (not sure my employer would keep me unfortunately !)
But in France, where I’m from, we can have a new pair every four years, mostly paid by our social security and health insurance, so I will definitely check the new platforms then !

1 Like

Ok, my bad, just checked and UP receiver for Lumity may be too weak. We will see what about possible new receivers - maybe they’ll be based on xMEMS technology?

What about your Word Recognition Score (WRS) on each ear separatedly + binaurally?

Have you ever been qualified for cochlear implant e.g. Advanced Bionics?

Now that’ll be a game changer, but unlikely, as I’m sure the word would be out.

1 Like

I would have thought that the UP Naida would be the best fit for your audiogram, when adjusted properly.
As respects SR2 then reproduce the exact settings from your ventures. Remember it needs time to acclimatise.

@Bimodal_user : Left ear is pretty much at less than 5%, right ear is at 65%.
Binaurally, I’m at 68%. If lip-reading + hearing aids, I recognize 96% of the words
All checked at soft-spoken voice level, with my old hearing aids.
I’ve been qualified 7 years ago but got cold feet but I’m going through the process again later this year :slight_smile:

@michael1 : yeah they would be for sure, but we tried every settings and couldn’t make them work, maybe in a couple years I’ll try again. SP right now already feel more powerful than my old ones, but in a manageable way, when UP were way too much discomfort (for sure it was a programming issue, but how to improve it is a tough one).
I believe my old ones are even older than venture (by 5 to 7 years), we tried reproducing the settings but SoundRecover changed a lot when they released SR2 (more adaptive sound treatment I believe) and even after a month of wearing the aids, it was still a huge issue. Not even sure going back to SR1 would be better but just wondering if it was even a possibility with those Lumity, just to check if things improved or not. If not a possibility or not better, I’ll manage but I’m all in on trying things to get the best results !

1 Like

The OP has Naida V SP which is the first generation Naida run on the Core Platform which has SR1.

Naida I, III, V, IX were the different ones.

3 Likes

A quick update prior to my appointment this afternoon : checked on Target (I’m considering DIYing) and switching to SR1 is still doable so we’ll try this today !

I’ll let my audi know about your advice regarding some tweaks to do

It’s worth the effort. Many implanted people regret to not be implanted earlier. Hearing aids probably don’t give you over that 68%. The only way to elevate WRS score is cochlear implant.

My decision about my left ear was easy because it hears totally zero. Your left ear is quite unusable to hear speech so you also have almost nothing to lose with surgery.

Concededly, I have CI from Cochlear company, but if you plan use Naida on right ear consider Advanced Bionics because of bilateral cooperation with Naida HA mics:

So, for bilateral (more precisely - bimodal, see my nickname) features it’s worth to think about Naida L90 for right ear (90 instead of 50).

** saturation for some sounds (sound is “vibrating”), *
** over-presence of “small” sounds,*

These two seem related to compression, i.e. how much the hearing aids amplify soft intensity sounds.
For severe to profound losses, some long term wearers prefer less compression, and it is not something easy to get used to.

You could request a more “linear” setting, which for phonaks is easy to accomplish.

• SoundRecover is an issue… Is there any way to put back the “old” SoundRecover in Target for Lumity aids ?

Yes - under phonak target setup > fitting session > fitting there is a tick box called “show soundrecover versions in global tuning”. once enabled, your audi will have control over soundrecover version under ‘global tuning’

One other thought is to import your previous naida v hearing aid settings into the new naida L-50 hearing aids. Even though the Naida V is very old, you can still import some of the fundamental settings over to the newer hearing aids, including the frequency curve, compression settings etc

in my experience this works maybe 50% of the time for wearers in your situation, as with old hearing aids there are some factors influencing the sound that cannot be replicated on new hearing aids, including distortion of older circuitry which might now be part of your preferred sound quality.

You would need to make sure you have your old hearing aid settings copied and saved on the audis computer system, and then they can import it using the fitting > transfer fitting function within phonak target.

2 Likes

Thank you for all these informations, I was not aware of most of it and I will then ask my Audi to switch my hearing aids as to make sure I’m fully prepared if I end up with a CI short term !

Quick question about the post-op : was it a long road to recovery ? How does it sound ?

1 Like

Will try this since, at the moment, he used the “soft sounds reducer” slider (made some improvements but not a lot, don’t know of much he put) for the small sound issue, and increased MPO for the saturation (didn’t work)

We found it and it’s made a great difference already !

Unfortunately, current audi doesn’t have the old program on is computer (and it’s not compatible with his Windows version). I remember trying this a couple years back and it was indeed not a huge success : distortion is indeed a HUGE issue :frowning:

Thank you for your help everyone, I hope I’ll have good results soon !

I use SoundRecover aggressively on my Lumity UP and i get no S/SH issues. Sound Recover is adjustable but it looks like you would only benefit on the side where you dont get any high frequency sounds.

The default setting on Sound recover for my loss is starting at 2700 hz so it would basically take 3500-5000 hz sound (that i cant hear) and put it into 3000-4000 hz (which i also cant hear. So, mine is set to start at 1100 hz.

My thought is to check your hearing with aided word recognition test, and see, somewhat objectively, what you are hearing. You cant expect the sound to be similar to your old ones, but the word recognition should be fairly good.

Next step would be cochlear implant.

2 Likes

Fingers crossed for Nada L90 with Naida Link!

I am not to be the best person to ask about it, because my better ear hears quite well. But see here, there are also my point of views:

How well do people hear after getting cochlear implant? - Cochlear Implants - Hearing Aid Forum - Active Hearing Loss Community (hearingtracker.com)

1 Like

@younguy69, there are other useful topics:

Any major reservations regarding Advanced Bionics brand? - Cochlear Implants - Hearing Aid Forum - Active Hearing Loss Community (hearingtracker.com)

Anyone here with a Cochlear implant regretted it? - Cochlear Implants - Hearing Aid Forum - Active Hearing Loss Community (hearingtracker.com) Advanced Bionics CI Activation a Success - Cochlear Implants - Hearing Aid Forum - Active Hearing Loss Community (hearingtracker.com)

On this forum @joanhawsey is AB user:
Advanced Bionics CI Activation a Success - Cochlear Implants - Hearing Aid Forum - Active Hearing Loss Community (hearingtracker.com)

Thank you guys for all your help ! Program is way better now and I’m also looking all these informations about cochlear implants as a next step in a couple months or a year !

1 Like

You’re welcome. Make sure if Phonak Naida Lumity 90 has Naida Link technology to make connection with sound processor from Advanced Bionics.

I’m not sure does Lumity platform has model linking with Naida CI Marvel. Ask @joanhawsey or @Michael_Phonak about Naida HA compatibility with sound processor.

Not all Phonak aids link with the CI. The only one that does is the Naida Link Marvel. See this link to the Phonak list of HAs. Hearing Aids | Phonak

I am happy with my AB CI and Naida Link Marvel. I am crossing my fingers that the new platform Phonak recently announced will eventually be used for a new Link HA with the CI. Might be a a couple years.

4 Likes

@joanhawsey, thanks for your clarification.

@younguy69,I think Naída Link Marvel will give you more benefits due to its bimodal features despite being an older platform than Naída Lumity. It is up to you to test if it is true in your case.

And if you have that possibility:

You can probably get a newer sound processor and newer Naida after 4 years.

Make sure your audiologist has knowledge about bimodal features and knows what to do to make proper adjustments.

The proper earmold with as close venting as possible and REM will also be key factors in your case.

@Tony3, I think this topic would be of interest to you. Maybe you don’t have to be afraid of the “outdated” Naida Link Marvel and bimodal features would give you more benefits?