Phonak Marvel with Public FM Systems

When I go to a theatre or a church which has an FM broadcast system, how can I stream this to my Phonak Marvel HA’s?
I used to pick up one of the theatre’s FM receivers and plug it into my Compilot but I cannot use the Compilot with Marvels.
Is there a solution or a workaround?
Thanks

Purchase FM receivers for your hearing aid (along with an FM transmitter if at that point it’s cheaper to bundle and access ADP).
Purchase a Roger MyLink and activate telecoil if your hearing aids are telecoil compatible.
Use your old hearing aids at church?

There’s probably some other hack-y way if you can find some other devices that will accept audio input and the stream it out via classic bluetooth to the hearing aids.

Rare to have a church that provides FM, I find. You sure it’s not telecoil?

My church does FM. I get a receiver and plug in my Roger On with the media cable. Works well.

You can probably get this to work with one of the other Roger mics. But I have no experience.

Last suggestion would be to get a tv connector, a usb battery pack, and cable it up so the receiver feeds your tv connector. I’ve done this while my Roger On was out for service.

Hope this helps give you ideas even if none of my ideas work for you.

WH

Starting from the Marvels (I have no idea if it has happened with previous models) you require licenses per ear with an FM system. I would assume this includes the Roger Select, ON, Table Mic, etc etc.

The only thing I can think of is using any of the above mentioned devices to connect via media cable (3.5mm to 3.5mm) to the churches audio interface and being able to stream wireless through those. Failing that, if your church has a telecoil system, that may be your second best bet.

My first thought was, “why don’t you just connect directly?” But it strikes me that you would need 02 receivers for that and you probably have 03 receivers. Salient point if Gilbert wants to pick up FM receivers but his clinician isn’t super familiar with FMs. The 02 receivers are, unfortunately, considerably more expensive.

Wouldn’t they need to be Roger based FM for that to work? These are not made by any hearing aid related company to my knowledge.

(And, they broadcast in mono on the right channel, and use an adapter plug to make in go to both ears. Most users take it with a set of earphones. The first time I tried it, it drove me crazy because they forgot they broadcast in mono and just handed me a bare receiver without the adapter plug. Direct reception would be uncomfortable.)

If I could use 02 receivers, I am certain the VA would buy them for me. No need I can foresee.

WH

the fix I found that would work was to get a Bluetooth transmitter that plugs into your FM receiver . This then changes FM to Am which will be transmitted wirelessly to your Marvel. I discovered that the new Roger On could replace the need for the Bluetooth transmitter. You can look on Amazon for Bluetooth transmitters, portable wireless Bluetooth adapter, rechargeable.
they are very inexpensive.

Thanks for all these suggestions. I think I can make it work now.

The 02 receiver should be a universal receiver. It would have worked with whatever in the past. Now that’s it’s virtually installed. . . honestly I haven’t encountered the situation.

2 Likes

I have successfully used a neck
loop which I bought on Amazon. It uses the loop technology to connect the FM to the telecoil in your hearing aid (if you have one). Just plug the FM radio to the neck loop, then turn on your telecoil program.
Regarding the neckloops–I’ve personally tried the Williams Sound neckloop and noticed I got better reception when the black triangular part was pulled up a couple inches closer to my neck.
I have not tried the neckloops from Bellman & Symfon or Listen Technologies, but the Bellman one seems to have better online reviews than the other 2.

Neckloops are also supposed to be available where you pick up the FM device - ask for one, but like the FM, you need to make sure it has good batteries.

Neck loops and telecoils are such an important interface between FM and IR receivers and hearing aids. And yet, more than once I’ve heard audiologists say people don’t need telecoils “because there are so few looped venues in our area.” Bluetooth does not as yet replace telecoils because BT is a short range connection and only one to one. But when Bluetooth LE Audio is fully implemented, it will likely start replacing all of the other Assistive Listening Systems (FM, IR and Loops).

I think it’s been covered, but I’ll chime in anyway. We have had an FM system at our church for a while, but no one knew about it. So, I outfitted it with some FM receivers. They’re about the size of an old fashioned pocket portable radio. Then you can hook ear phones (single or double) into the receiver to get the sound, or better for those of us fortunate to have gotten telecoils with our HAs, you hook in a neck loop. Then, the neck loop funnels the sound into your telecoils, and hence, into your ears. It’s great!

Our system comes from Williams Sound, which I think someone mentioned above.

Bluetooth LE Audio is now known as Bluetooth Auracast. It will be a major disruptive new technology!

I have successfully used a neck loop which I bought on Amazon. It uses the loop technology to connect the FM to the telecoil in your hearing aid (if you have one). Just plug the FM radio to the neck loop, then turn on your telecoil program.

1 Like