Phonak Marvel - vibrating tremolo effect for high pitched (electronic) sounds

I can see feedback happening if you place your hands too close to the aids. What else will cause this?

Sometimes the headrest in your car - the proximity, depending on how the aids are adjusted might trigger feedback. Hugging someone. Anything that gets something quite close to your ears. Just a note - performing music sounded better to me with the OMNIdirectional mic setting. This MAY create a potential for more feedback, but to me, my solo guitar sounded better with the omni mic. So, staying with the directional mics may reduce that feedback risk.

It’s also highly dependent on how much gain you need in the 3000-3500hz range and on how occlusive a fitting you have. Another option is to back off the gain a bit in those frequencies.

1 Like

As MDB says in general it is higher amplification that starts the problem, but it is compounded by the venting and the fit of the domes or sleeves used. Essentially feedback is sound from the receiver leaking out the vent or around the fitting to reach the microphones on the HA. Once the sound completes the loop then you can get feedback. And somewhat surprisingly it is worse for soft (50 dB) sounds as they get more amplification than loud sounds.

Here is an example that graphically shows where feedback may occur. I used Bob’s audiogram for the example. This is with an M receiver, NAL-NL2 prescription, and open sleeves, with the KS8 HA’s. You can see the problem areas shaded in red and blue. The highest gain curve (for the 50 dB sounds) goes into trouble at 3 kHz and possibly at 8 kHz as well.

And here is what it projects using custom molds with 2.5 mm vents. At least in theory feedback is avoided.

2 Likes

Wow, this is complicated! I’ve been trying to get used to the Marvels for 10+ days. Still not there. I have profound hearing loss 2000Hz and up, both ears. I have to turn them down 2 or 3 button presses from the preset volume of 70% for them to sound comfortable. Walking on wood floors, closing drawers/doors, getting ice from the fridge, etc… still sounds too loud to me. Is this normal? How long should it take to get used to them? I know I’ve had hearing loss for at least 15 years.

It would be helpful if you filled in your audiogram. Here is a link on how to do it.

What you describe are all common observations of a new hearing aid user. I’m getting close to half a year and still am observing these sounds as too loud.

Appreciate the feedback. I know it will take my brain time to adjust. Just wonder if eventually I will be able to go to the preset volume without going crazy! :slight_smile: I will try to post my audiogram. Can I attached a scan of it?

Tried the link to add hearing test and gave this:

500 ERROR
We’re sorry, but something went wrong.
We will review the error and apply a fix soon. In the meantime, see what else we have to offer:

OK, got my audiogram up. Wasn’t sure how to read the recognition numbers. As you can see, it ain’t pretty!

1 Like

Yes, that is a profound loss alright. You may be a candidate for a Phonak Naida BTE style aid.

Hmm, really? So the Marvels may not quite cut it? Sure do like them. The Naidas seem bulkier.

I think the Nadias have much higher available gain than the Marvels. (Am I right?) If the Marvels are giving you enough volume, which it sounds like they are if you have to turn them down, they may be OK. I don’t know that the Nadias would be any different in terms of the sounds you say you haven’t gotten used to.

I’ve had it relatively easy with my mild (comparably!) hearing loss, but my right ear still shakes me by the lapels for every little click and buzz and noise. It seems to be getting a bit better after a couple of weeks but there’s still some resonance and noise that I think can be tuned out.

If the very highest frequencies bother you, maybe have your audi roll them off and see how it is. I think the creaks and clicks and things are at the very top of the frequency range.

@daverh1 I would agree that the Marvels should be fine and more power is not going to make it easier to adjust to the hearing aids if you already find them too loud. As others have said, it can take awhile to adjust. To me the key is to keep it in the range of what you can tolerate. If you’re overwhelmed at the end of the day and ready to rip your hearing aids out, it would likely make things easier to get used to if you had less volume, either by using the volume buttons or having an adjustment. Then, after you’ve adjusted, a little more volume can be added.

Agree. I have to turn them down 2 or 3 button presses right now. So they’re plenty loud. I just need to wear them more during the day. I love the TV streaming option!

Yes, I think the Naida HA’s are more limited when it comes to wireless streaming.

1 Like

I was about to say the same thing. Both points are valid.

Well… today I had my audiologist turn off WhistleStop on my Marvels. Huge difference. Tremolo issue is gone! Yes, I do get a slight feedback if I cup my hand over them but don’t plan on making that a normal routine. He also reduced one of the gain settings so they don’t sound so loud. So far, I like this setting much better. They don’t seem to have the “tin can” effect they did before.

3 Likes

I don’t get the tremolo effect because my audiologist has also set WhistleStop to zero! I too get a tiny bit of feedback if I cup my hands over my ears. That’s also inconsequential to how I use my Marvels. My audiologist has made a piano program for me that also turns the volume down 3 steps as I’m sitting right on top of a large grand piano when I’m playing. I love using my Marvels when I play. The sound is much more full than without them and I can hear the entire last octave of my piano . Without my Marvels the last octave is completely dead and all I can hear is the thud of the key hitting the key bed. You can look at my audiogram and see why.

My audiologist turned off WhistleStop for my “Piano Program” and for my “Music Program”. She left WhistleStop turned ON for my AutoSense OS 3.0. From your experience I think I’ll ask her to turn WhistleStop OFF for everything. I’ll bet that will eliminate the fatiguing effect I get from extended wear with normal use and AutoSense turned ON. What do you think?

1 Like

Similar to what I’ve done recently. Although because of the level of my deafness and hence the required power of my aids, turning WhistleStop completely off leaves me with far too much feedback. The Music program automatically adjusts WhistleStop to 8 but Tremolo was still evident at this setting. I found reducing it to 6 eliminated Tremolo for me and still leaves me enough feedback stopping power.

I’ve set Music as Program 1 and turned AutoSenseOS off. So my aids won’t auto select anything else but stay on the Music program which suits me. Even SoundRecover is off. Everything is off. I hate compression of any sort.

1 Like

I seemed to sometimes get the tremolo effect with things besides music, bells, chimes, etc. Weird thing. So I think keeping Autosense without Whistlestop is good for me. Of course, I’ve only had it this way for one day. :slight_smile: