Phonak Marvel M-90R charging problems

I’ve been enjoying my M-90Rs for 6 months but in the past month they started exhibiting problems when recharging. Occasionally one or the other HA would show a solid red light and not charge. The problem usually resolved itself when I removed and reinserted the HA a few times. I checked the contacts but they are not dirty. The problem began exhibiting with more frequency (a couple times a week), so I tried a 2nd charger and power supply, but it still occurred. 2 days ago we updated the HA firmware, hoping that would solve things. They both charged fine the first night. But last night, both HAs failed to charge, and now the problem persists no matter how many times I reset them. They blink yellow for 5-10 minutes but then turn solid red again. The charge is currently at 25%-30%. I’m now bringing them in to my audi so he can send them in to Phonak for repair or replacement.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Yep, my wife had the same problem with her M-70R’s. My Audi replaced the charging base and the problem went away.

So far the only time I’ve had an issue along those lines is when they didn’t have good contact. I got mine nearly one year ago on New Year’s Eve (day).

There’s a firmware update for recent charging issues.

1 Like

I performed the firmware update and it didn’t help at all.

I cleaned the contacts with q-tip and alcohol, but that didn’t help either.

The problem exhibited with multiple charging units, so it was definitely the HAs not the charger. I returned them to audi yesterday for repair, and now I have a loaner pair. The loaners work fine with my chargers.

So odd that both HAs would fail like that at the same time…

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your rechargeable aids.
Hopefully the repaired or replaced aids will fix the issue for good.

I had a problem a while back with my Phonak Marvel M-90Rs not charging. My Audio advised the following -

There was an issue a while back with the plugs for some of the chargers where it wasn’t charging both devices. If it happens again then take the USB out of the wall plug and plug it in to your computer to charge. If it resumes charging then it is likely an issue with the adapter plug.

Thanks for this suggestion. However, the problem exhibited with multiple adaptors as well as multiple charging cases. And the replacement units are charging perfectly with that same charger and adaptor.

The good news is: it is covered under warranty, and my audi provided me with temporary replacements so it’s all good. I love the M-90R’s. The recharging experience has been mostly great until this glitch.

I’ll post here if there are any updates.

–rex

4 Likes

I have had many problems charging my Phonak Audeo M90 hearing aids. The only time I did not have a problem was when I was in Germany for 5 weeks and did not use the AC adapter, but I plugged the charging cord directly into an 6 port USB charging device. I never had a problem with charging. When I returned to the US, I had the same unreliable charging problems using the AC adapter. Finally I eliminated the AC adapter, and I plugged the cord directly into a USB connection for charging. This solved the whole charging problem.

I too had gone through the software updates, and the cleaning tips. That did not help. I thought I was simply unable to put the hearing aids into the charger properly.

Phonak supplied me with a faulty AC adapter.

When I visit my audiologist, I will request a replacement.

Such a simple solution to such an aggravating problem.

Hello!

I have phonak marvel 90 Charging pair. Today while charging my son did switch off first then switch on.After this my Left(Blue) hearing aid is not working. I did 3/4 times long press on hearing aid but not starting and also tried to put on charging device but green charging light not flashing but right side(red) is proper working. Plz give me ur precious advise for solve this my issue.

Thanks in Advance

Regards

Sohail

I have acquired a used set of M-90R that have the problem mentioned in these comments about charging problems. Specifically the left HA when inserted into the charger will initially flash green for 1 second then go constantly red. As its some time since the last comments, i would like to know if there’s any actions I can take other than mentioned already or finding an audi for return/repair by Phonic. Thnkyou.

Try to reboot the devices by pressing and holding the bottom button on the back of the aids for 20 seconds (It doesn’t matter whether this is done while the aids are switched on or off). Then place the devices in the charger for 1 minute. This should serve as a soft reboot and may resolve the issue.

Good luck

1 Like

Thank you for the prompt response and suggestion Louie. I tried that process a few times but unfortunately it doesnt resolve the issue … so still looking for more suggestions. BTW, I initially did the contact cleaning routine given the Aids had been sitting around unused for a yea, but assume that as the green flash then solid red light only comes on when in the charger , it must be getting power OK. Thanks again,

I think your only option now is to send for repair unfortunately. It has been a pretty common issue with Phonak rechargeable devices from what I’ve seen in my clinic. I think in Aus phonak charge a flat repair fee of about $250 per aid. Where in Aus are you?

Maybe you are lucky and the problem is not the HA battery.
A short circuit in the receiver can cause the HA to switch off again immediately.
Try swapping the receivers. If the problem changes to the other device, the corresponding receiver is defective.

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestion sterei. As the old song goes … “I should be so lucky” … but regrettably I wasn’t. I switched over the receiver but unfortunately the problem remained. Looks like a return to Phonac.

Seems no other option now Louie other than to send to Phonac for repair. I’m in Hobart, Tasmania, so after the weekend I’ll track down Phonac and see if I can send the HA direct to them to cut down the turn-a-round time, or if it needs to go through an audi. Thanks again.

Im sorry, it didn’t work, it was worth a try.
Yeah, I think you need to send them back.
Anyway, good luck!

1 Like

Thanks sterei, another question please … in your opinion is it sensible to replace both lithium batteries at the same time given the units are nearly 3 years old … or just wait until the good one also dies?

I think I would send them both in:
The left one for repair, the right one for a check up.
They will probably replace them both.
Ask for the cost for that before you decide.

1 Like