Phonak Marvel Bluetooth

I could be mistaken but I don’t the the Marvels will work with the Compilot device. That said buying one device that would then connect to multiple devices would be great but then again being able to connect seamlessly without any additional device would be even better.

Thanks for the replies. I’m not familiar enough with the forum to know if I can reply to a particular comment or if they all just get posted in order. I agree with darylm that connecting is far from seamless especially when I compare them to my experience with my Apple Air pods or even the TV connect device. I also know there will be occasions that I want to connect directly and I’m still having trouble when I attempt to do so. Usually I keep my Apple Air pods nearby and when I want to listen to something on my laptop (in the same room my spouse is watching TV) i just remove the marvels and switch to the airpods. Last night I decided to give pairing a try (again) so I turned of blue tooth on my phone, powered off and then on my Marvels and waited for my laptop to “see” the Marvels… and after a few minutes I gave up. I’m not sure if the Marvels were not in pairing mode or if I need to click something else on the laptop to get it to see the Marvels. Knowing their limitations I still want to be as proficient at it as TraderGary reports. I’m open to some suggestions. I’m going to try again when my more tech proficient son is visiting. The other question I have is- is this a limitation on the technology or the manufacturer wanting to maximize profit. One will lead me to seek a different company for my next pair, the other will make me appreciate the difficulty of getting all of this technology to work together.

Butch,
Are you using Microsoft Windows, Apple?

I’m using a Windows 10 laptop and an Android Google Pixel 3 XL phone to make it all work.

So the Marvels can stream directly to a Windows laptop without the TV streamer? I’m sure it’s been discussed before but I’m lazy. :>)

And a Mac, I use them on my MacBook Pro occasionally.

1 Like

So besides Android, they can stream directly from any computer with standard bluetooth? I’m guessing they could also stream directly from bluetooth TV? Pretty impressive.

your mileage may vary. I’ve read some people having difficulty with less popular bluetooth cards/drivers (don’t have more details than that, just what i remember reading on this forum), but i’ve never had an issue when i’ve needed it. probably for the TV - but the TV connector’s reach distance wise is a lot farther than direct BT in my experience.

1 Like

The reason the TV connect works differently is because it uses BLE, not Bluetooth Classic.

Here are the steps to pair the marvels with a device. Turn off BT on nearby devices. This is particularly important if the marvels are already paired with another device. Turn off the Marvels. Turn on BT on the device you want to pair the marvels with. Turn on the marvels. There should be prompts on the device.

If you’re having problems pairing the marvels with your laptop after following the above steps, there is probably something wrong with your laptop. Possibly the BT chipset doesn’t support BT 4.2, which is not likely. Possibly the drivers on the laptop need to be updated.

As for why Phonak chose to deliver the marvels with the single-pairing limitation, I’m sure they know, but they aren’t talking. I don’t see how they benefit from this, unless they intend to fix the problem in new HAs and force people to upgrade. If so, that would probably backfire.

For the record, I purchased marvels and returned them because of this issue, as well as because I found that they frequently disconnected. I got a pair of Opns on evaluation before my evaluation of the marvels expired. I ended up keeping the Opns, because they didn’t have these problems.

1 Like

They will work with the Roger Pen in the fall of this year, and as I described, it has some similar functions.

I’ve paired with 3 of my computers that all use Windows 10 Pro and Bluetooth Classic:

Dell XPS 15 laptop
Microsoft Surface Pro
Microsoft Surface Go

I also pair with my Android Google Pixel 3 XL phone.

Each device pairs readily with no problems. Of course since you can’t pair multiple devices at the same time, you have to take the time to un-pair the current device and then pair to the new device. That takes about a minute to do. Some find that to be problematic enough to not use Marvels. I don’t have a problem un-pairing and pairing with the devices I own. Pairing with each device, including my phone, has been rock solid stable. I’ve now had my Marvels for 5 months and I change paired devices frequently. Pairing to my Microsoft Windows 10 and Android devices and streaming from them without the need for wearing an intermediate device was a prime reason for my going with the Marvels.

I don’t have a Bluetooth TV so I haven’t tried that. If the TV uses Bluetooth Classic it should work.

1 Like

I do have a Sony TV running Android with Blue Tooth. It works great with the Marvels. My hearing loss is such that I just listen using my sound system, but it was great to watch tv without disturbing others.

TraderGary- I’m using an I-phone 7s running the latest software upgrade. My goal is to get as good as you are at switching among devices. I followed the directions posted by darylm and was able to connect with my MacBook- Success!!! Now I need to master switching back, that seemed much more prolematic. I going to experiment and try a few more time but it seems I have to forget the devices from both my phones settings and the Phonak Ap and then re pair from both places. My apologies if someone has already posted these steps but I’m looking to be able to do this in as few steps as possible and do it the same way every time- Thanks for the replies.

Butch, the step you probably need is to put the Marvels in to pairing mode. You can do that by turning the HA’s OFF by holding down the Volume Down button until you hear two fog horn like sounds. The Marvels then turn OFF. Turn them back ON again by holding the Volume Down button until you hear the “startup” tones. The Marvels will now be in Pairing Mode for the next two minutes. You can pair only when you are in pairing mode.

If you have the rechargeable model it is simpler to just put the Marvels in the charger and take them out again. Doing that puts them in pairing mode for the next two minutes.

If you have the battery operated model, simply open the battery door and then close it again to put the Marvels in pairing mode for the next two minutes.

You don’t have to forget the HAs on a device to pair them to another device. You will have to forget them on a device before you re-pair them with a device they were previously paired with. Pairing is one-time. When you pair the HAs with a device, whatever pairing was in the HAs will be overwritten by the new pairing and therefore it will longer exist. However, the other device has no way to know that, because pairing is supposed to be a one-time event. This is why you have to forget an existing pairing before you can re-pair.

Again, to pair the HAs with a device, here are the steps:

Turn off BT on all other devices that are nearby. (This is important. If another device is nearby, the HAs might try to pair with or connect with it before the device you want to pair them with gets a chance.)

Turn off the HAs.

For the device that you want to pair the HAs with, if it was previously paired with the HAs, forget the pairing. If you don’t do this, the HAs will not pair with it and they won’t connect with it. Nothing will happen. If required, put the new device into pairing mode (this depends on the device).

Turn on the HAs.

On the device you are pairing the HAs with, accept the pairing.

The process is slightly different for android, ios and windows, but the result is the same.

Having to jump through these hoops is an inexcusable PITA, but it’s how they work. Thanks Phonak.

1 Like

Yes, unfortunately that’s the way it is. For those of us who prefer the Marvels and want to connect to devices other than our phone, there is no alternative. We jump through the hoops. It’s a PITA but fortunately it’s not rocket science. :sunglasses:

Daryl, when I was on a conference call with Phonak while at my audiologist, it was claimed that the chip was full and couldn’t hold the additional code to work like normal Bluetooth. I thought that was a bit lame!

I think that’s nothing but an excuse. The amount of space required to store pairing information is minimal. It would have taken more effort to make a FIFO store or a last accessed first out store, but IMO, they got lazy. I posted my communication with Phonak. They basically said it was too hard for them.

1 Like

For those of us who prefer Android and Microsoft Windows 10 without having to use an intermediate workaround, others need to step up and do it right. Too many people use Android for Phonak to remain alone with their ill thought out solution.

This has no much sense for me to switch between different devices using BT, while I am connected to Hands Free Profile of my Phone. I was trying to reconnect each time between phone and BT capable TV until I bought TV Connector. This is marvelous (!) device. No pairing required (it is fully automated). It just starts streaming when connected audio signal is active and it mutes upon incoming call (via bt HFP).
Finally, I have three simultaneous, always-on wireless connections in my setup:

• TV Connector (Proprietary Phonak) - can stream any sound source with optical toslink or analog 3.5 mm jack. (You can use cable splitter to connect more devices)
  • Bluetooth Classic HFP/A2DP for phone calls in and out
  • BLE to connect to Phonak Remote app on my Android phone to change programs, balance volume between streaming and ambient hearing etc.
    This works optimal, to my needs of course.

Johnny, I’m in agreement with you. Although I found the TV Connector of more value leaving it connected to my main Windows 10 PC. This now gives me totally transparent always ON connections with both my phone and my computer.

I first tried the TV Connector with the TV but Kate and I decided that we liked our custom TV sound system better. When I then tried the TV Connector with my computer, it found a permanent home.

1 Like

I enjoy all the feedback and comments on this topic. It matters to me if it was a technology limitation or some other reason the company (Phonak) was not able to achieve the seamless level of connectivity that seem like it should be possible. I’ve mastered pairing to a new device but switching back to my phone has been less than smooth. I know much of it is my error. For example at night I’m paired with my laptop and then in the morning when I attempt to pair back with my phone I have to remember to turn off the blue tooth on the lap top. I also have to remember to forget the devices in both locations on my phone (settings and the Phonak Ap.). I’ve found that if I just “forget” them with the Phonak Ap, or even if I don’t the devices with re- pair with the Ap. so that they can be controlled but streaming from my phone will not work. I have to “forget” them in both locations. I found that I had to attempt the re-pair several times and reboot my phone for the devices to be found. I’m working on getting to be as proficient at it as TraderGary. It does frustrate me that it’s easier to reach for my Airpods. I’m committed to these devices for now but (Phonak are you listening?) seamless connectivity will certainly be a much higher consideration when its time to replace them.