Phonak Marvel Bluetooth

Live stream is only available for MFI Aids (Made for IPhone). One of the drawbacks of MARVEL is it’s MFA (Made for All).

1 Like

Well, it worked very well when I first got them at the beginning of the year. I just started having issues about 2 months ago.

MFA is also one of the best features…

3 Likes

Some points yes. but for iPhone users, you loose some features of MFI ( live stream, smoothly change volume/program from control centre with no need to go to app)

1 Like

First post and I haven’t read all 244 replies, but will ask my question anyway. I just finished the 30 day trial period of the Phonak M90s and returned them because of the BT cutting out with my Android phone in my front pants pocket. These are my first HAs and I was very pleased with Marvel fit and functions. But I stream audio at least 2 hours a day and more in the summer when I’m working outdoors.
I made the decision to return the HAs the night before the visit to my Audi and she was shocked. But I couldn’t see living with this issue for 5 years. I know BT streaming is not the purpose of the HAs, but it did make me more inclined to use them. So a few questions -
Is this a BT in the HA hardware issue? Or is it a HA + certain model phones issue? Many of the issues discussed here relate to iPhones. I currently have a Samsung 9 and would be willing to change phones is that would solve the problem.
Does the problem exist with all this model HAs? I asked my Audi if I might have got a defective HA (the one setup for pairing). Have not gotten a response.
If it is a hardware issue and Phonak were to found a fix, would it be covered by the warranty?

Assuming the Phonak Marvels won’t work for me (mild to severe loss in both ears) do you have recommendations for other HAs that I should look at?

Thanks

1 Like

Were they both cutting out or only one side? The way the connection works is one HA connects to the phone and then transmits the audio to the other HA. Since your head is between the two HAs, the signal gets attenuated if there are no surrounding surfaces for the signal to bounce off. If the drop out is between the HA and the phone, sound will drop out on both HAs. If the drop out is between the HAs, sound will drop out on one HA. I would be surprised if the problem was with the phone. If you already returned the HAs, there is no way to try another phone or another HA unless you ask your audiologist to let you try another pair. I would be surprised if it made any difference. I think you’re experiencing the limitations of bluetooth. It’s not a perfect technology.

I have an iphone, an android phone and a laptop. I previously had Marvels and I returned them due to drop outs with the laptop. I understand why you couldn’t live with this. For me, it was a show-stopper, because I rely streaming to work for several hours per day. I switched to Opns, which use an intermediate device called a connectclip to connect with non-apple devices. It works very well and I have zero drop out problems. The Opns also connect directly to my iphone using MFi, which works pretty well also. Marvel proponents don’t like an intermediate device. It’s not my preference, but I would rather have in intermediate device that works, then no device that doesn’t work. If you were going to switch to an iphone, the Opns would be a good choice. If you were going to switch to a new android phone, such as a pixel 4, there is a new capability similar to MFi, called ASHA. Some HAs already support ASHA and others will in the future. (Opns don’t currently support ASHA, but I’ve been told real soon now by Oticon.) My android phone doesn’t support ASHA, so I’m not desparately waiting for the Opns to support it. YMMV.

1 Like

Thanks for the response and suggestions. The loss was from my left HA (the BT connected one) then to the right. I would loose some portion of the book I was listening to. I had my regular weekly outing with former workmates. I’ve been retired almost 10 years, but still keep in touch. These are a group of current and former IT professionals (systems designers and software engineers) and some have hardware experience. There conclusion is that Phonak may be lowering the BT power requirement to save battery power, One suggestion is wearing a BT repeater.and there was talk making me a special helmet. There was beer involved.
On a serious note, I’m not sure I want to change phones and use an intermediate device for a problem I could solve by NOT using BT with the HAs.
I really appreciate your suggestions and will ask the Audi about a possible Opns solution.

1 Like

Marvels use BT Classic between the phone and the HA and BT Low Energy between the two HAs, so power consumption must have been a challenge. One of the HAs has to maintain a two-way BT classic connection with the phone and a one way BLE connection with the other HA. It’s impressive that they could pack so much into HAs, I would be very surprised if the drop outs change without you changing where you keep your phone.

I’m very happy with the Opns, but I was okay with having to compromise by using an intermediate device (for my laptop and my android phone, not for my iphone). What I gained was a reliable connection. Others don’t wish to make that compromise. Again, YMMV.

1 Like

I don’t have the hardware expertise that darylm has and I totally respect what he says. The only thing I have to offer the forum is a new HA user’s 10 months of actual experience with the only HA I’ve ever owned, the Phonak Audeo Marvel M90-R.

The phone I use is an Android Google Pixel 3XL.

My computers are:
Asus ZenBook Pro Duo (i9 version)
Dell XPS 15 9560
Microsoft Surface Pro i5
Microsoft Surface Go

I stream my music from Primephonic.com at their lossless CD quality level. I’m a classical pianist and music lover and I stream several hours every day. The audio quality I get from my Marvels and my Primephonic subscription is superb.

My home WiFi is a NetGear Orbi Mesh system.
My ISP is Comcast and my speed is 240 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload and is very reliable.

I live in a rural area and my home is at lake level and I have no cell service until I walk up my driveway to my mailbox and then I have cell service for my daily walks.

I can start streaming my music while sitting at my desk in my study and I can then walk up my driveway to my mailbox where my WiFi gives out. Then my Pixel 3XL phone transfers seamlessly from my home WiFi to cell service and without any interruption of my streaming music. I then do my walk where there are few houses closer than several hundred feet and I’m essentially out in the open. My music stream is never interrupted. I walk daily and I’ve never had any cutouts in 10 months. My primary ear is my right ear and I’ve never had my left ear drop out. If there is a requirement for the right HA signal to bounce off something to reach the left HA, I’ve never experienced it. Of course there is always the possibility that there is nothing but empty space between my ears! :confused:

When streaming at home I usually use my Pixel 3XL. I’ve tested streaming Bluetooth Classic with all of my computers. I’ve streamed from my TV and from my computers using the Phonak TV Connector. I’ve never had a dropout occur with any of my computers, phone, or TV Connector. I’ve never had a dropout occur when out walking when streaming from cell towers.

For the hardware I use and what I do, my Marvel M90-R has, for 10 months, been absolutely rock-solid. FWIW that’s my experience. Obviously from the forum comments Your Mileage May Vary.

4 Likes

Good Evening! Yesterday I got the M90’s back from Phonak. They replaced them but did not verify any issues. This was very nice of them. After turning them in for repairs and getting some Widex Beyond 440 to use, I started having loud issues with the Widex. I decided to box them up and reopen my Resound Linx2 that I replaced with Phonak. I paired them and started using Live Listen. They pair totally different to my iPhone than the M90’s. After getting the M90 replacements yesterday, I decided to leave my Resounds paired to my iPhone. I paired the replacements and all seem to be good. Last night I decided to use the Resounds to listen to TV because Live Listen works well. It’s cool to be able to pair two brands of HA’s to my phone and use them for different situations. Both work on my phone but differently. Phonak didn’t really verify why there was BT issues with my older M90’s. My audiologist said that it was that Phonak and Apple are not working close together when there are updates on firmware. Phonak tech support did mention that they are aware of issues and that there will soon be another firmware update coming. Let’s hope that everyones Phonak get better.

Check out the Resound Quattro

I know that this shouldn’t matter but that was one of the things that the Phonak Rep said could be an issue or that there is too many connection in the area. Which i found very dubious. Especially since it cuts and stutters when outside especially.

I am currently very unhappy with how the Marvel HA are performing through Bluetooth and combine that with the silent treatement I’ve been getting from the Phonak people after my previous emails. Will try to return the HA based on Phonak failing to deliver what they have promised.

artexjay, what phone are you using? Apparently that could make a difference. I’m using an Android Google Pixel 3XL with my Marvel M90-R and in 10 months I’ve yet to experience cutouts inside or on daily walks.

its true…iv tried streaming musci at Beijing international airport 2 weeks ageo. the connection… intermittent
so im guessing more ppl. more connection(wifi,bluetooth.etc) and intermittent.

Using the Compilot Air II with my previous Audeo HAs I was able to connect to both of my iPhones (work and personal) at the same time and seamlessly switch between phone calls, navigation directions. podcasts, music etc.). This is a step backward. When I needed to connect to my laptop or PC, I simply turned Bluetooth off on one of the phones. Lets call it two steps backward.

I will look into alternative HAs. It will be very difficult for me to function with these limitations.

With the Phonak Marvel 2.0 update the need to do the un-pair and re-pair dance has been eliminated. You can now remain paired to your devices and switch between them just as you have always been able to do with any Bluetooth Classic device. Bluetooth Classic now works with the Phonak Marvel the way it should.

I’ve never had any difficulty with my M90-Rs and LG G6 combo either. I’ve even left the phone on the trunk lid and walked away. I was a good 30 feet away before the signal started breaking up. (This is a major reason why I’m not in any hurry to “upgrade” to another phone.)

Do you have a link to show how to make that happen? I have not been able to connect to both iPhones simultaneously. The only thing that works is the “simple” four-step process outlined on the Phonak website: Phonak Guide to Connect Second Phone

If you want to pair new a smartphone to your Phonak Marvel hearing aid, follow these steps:

1. Click ”Forget devices” on the device that is paired at the moment.

2. Ensure that Bluetooth wireless technology is enabled on the device that you are going to pair with. Search for Bluetooth enabled devices in the connectivity menu.

3. Battery: open battery door, wait 5 seconds and close it again. Rechargeable: Switch the Phonak Marvel hearing aid off and on using the multi-function button.

4.The Phonak Marvel hearing aids will be now in the pairing mode for 3 minutes. Your Bluetooth device will show a list of found Bluetooth devices. Select the hearing aid from the list.

Yes, those are the steps to initially “pair” a device. After a device is “paired” you never have to pair it again. However, on step one, instead of “forget” the device you’re leaving, change that to “disconnect” from the device you’re leaving. Remain paired to all devices.

I don’t have a link for you as using Bluetooth Classic with multiple devices is something I’ve known how to do for many years.

I’m paired with my Pixel 3 XL phone and 3 Windows 10 computers. When I want to change from one device to another I do it the same way I’ve changed Bluetooth Classic devices for many years. I simply go to the device I’m leaving, go to Bluetooth settings, and “disconnect” from that device. I then go to the device I’m wanting to connect to, go to Bluetooth settings, and “connect” to that device. The process is easy and quick. My Marvels always remain paired to my phone and to my computers. The only thing that changes is which device I’m currently “connected” to.

Again, what you must first do is “pair” all devices you want to use. You never have to “un-pair” those devices ever again. You simply change “connections”.

Edit: You must have the Marvel 2.0 firmware update for Bluetooth Classic to work as it should!

2 Likes

Thanks TraderGary. I’ve known how to use “Bluetooth Classic” for years as well. Actually, I’m a General Class amateur radio operator, an electronics hobbyist, and someone who hacked the battery and tuned up the PFSK transmission on my Compilot Air II for improved performance. The various Marvel models use Bluetooth 4.2 (released in 2014) and since 4.0 it has been known as BLE or Bluetooth Low Energy. Bluetooth 4.2 adds some privacy features which were probably necessary for hearing aid security/privacy… Bluetooth 5 was released in 2016 and is in every iPhone since iPhone 8. Bluetooth 5.1 released in January of this year. 5.1 brings some exciting features for hearing aids including AoA (Angle of Arrival) which will help with determining the direction sound is arriving and assist with tuning to specific conversations. If Phonak’s timeline hold out, we have some big enhancements coming in 2024.

What I am experiencing is not typical Bluetooth connectivity and not even on par with the Compilot Air II in performance. Based on what I have been able to find about Marvel 2.0, my suspicion is that my audiologist did not put firmware 2.0 on my hearing aids. I’ve found the documentation on line and will ask her to load Target 6.1 on her Target system and reflash my HAs.

2 Likes