Phonak lumity question

I’m sure this has been posted but I can’t find it, I’ve had these HAs for a few months now and the other night I was listening to some music through them from my phone and I went to push one of the domes in as it felt loose and wow! the sound was totally different, the music and vocals just popped! I took my fingers out and went to so-so sound.

My question is how do I , or can I even, do something to have these rich tones stay rich without walking around with my fingers in my ears, and how would it affect the sound when not listening to music?

Thank you and sorry if it’s been covered before.

Music always sounds better with a more closed fitting. Keeps the bass from leaking out. I’m sure someone else can provide a more technical explanation.

Jordan

2 Likes

Happened to me.

I had open domes. Sound left my ear. Fingers in each ear the volume was two times as loud

Audi didn’t know. Changed my domes to closed domes. They have two tiny holes

Still using then 6 months later. No feedback. Perfect for me

Phonak Audeo Paradis P90Rs

Dave

1 Like

Depends on what type of domes you’re using now, and what sort of loss you have. For streaming music, more occlusion is better, so closed domes would be better than open, a custom mold would be better than closed domes, etc. The trade-off is that less outside sound reaches your ear, so you’d be more reliant on the HAs’ artificial sound even in frequencies where your hearing might be relatively good. This is why open domes are often recommended for people with normal hearing in the lower frequencies. If you switch dome types, the settings on your aids will need to be changed to compensate.

Look into Phonak’s Active Vent receiver. It opens to allow sound into the ear naturally most of the time, but the vent automatically closes when you’re streaming or talking on the phone. It can also be set to close for Speech in Noise modes, where you might want to block out background noise. That might be a better option than switching to a dome that’s not optimal for actual hearing.

2 Likes

My friend has the Audeo P90 with open domes.

Can’t think off hand what frequencies the two lowest frequencies are, but he had those two frequencies and the MPO raised on those two frequencies by 6 dB in the Bluetooth programs and it’s made music sound really good to him.

He has a typical normal to severe ski slope loss.

Oh to add, he has open domes.

The two lowest frequencies are the ones when 20 channels are shown on the software.

4 Likes