Phonak Lumity Measured Feedback Threshold Test

I have just been fitted with Phonak Lumity and my initial reaction was that the lower frequencies were now much more noticeable. That was to some degree expected as my current aids (Phonak Virto Q90) had the lower frequencies gain reduced. But the bass boost seemed greater than I expected.

When got back home, I plugged them into my computer and ran up Target to see what they had done.

The above is from Target (right HA) and it appears to show that the test has dampened my gains above 2KHz which would fit in with what I am hearing. The same occurs with the left HA.

Also there is a little “i” next to “Continue both measurements” which says that the previous test was done but was not successful for all measurement points.

I just wanted to confirm with the illuminati on here that this is not how it should be. I tried rerunning the test myself to see if it would correct it. I only heard the low level roar during the feedback test and not the whole range of frequency roars.

Is there anything I can do or do I need to go back to the HAD to fix this (if they know how).

TIA

Well you’d really need to compare with your older models as to how much difference there really is, but it seems they didn’t reach those targets in the higher frequencies, they have set up SoundRecover as well, did you use that on your older models?

So you sat a new audiogram or was it audiogram direct, REM done as well

Possible you just may not of heard the very high frequencies

Well I’d go back and ask for them to redo everything if your not happy first, and to explain to you what and why they are setting things up so differently.
As your into DIY you could also just do a complete new fitting based on what you like and how you want them sounding.

Well my current aids (Virto Q90s used for over 8 years) do have SoundRecover 1. I tried KS10 and CostCo fitter said it was better without SR. But I couldnt get used to them as the custom molds never fitted properly.

A new audiogram was done at the last appointment a few weeks back and they fitted these aids today (there has been very little to no change in the audiogram over last 8 years). No REM as this is BootsHearingCare in the UK :frowning:

No, I have always heard these other “roars” and the test lasted this time for maybe only a few seconds. It definitely did not complete as usual.

The custom shell they have provided has a small vent (1mm) whereas my current half-shells (Virto Q90s) have a 2mm vent. I expected more occlusion and less feedback, but not such a reduction in gains over 2K. Here is the chart for the Paradises I was fitted with last year (admittedly with a different cShell):

I am going back in a couple of weeks but if I am reading this correctly I am getting significantly less gain at frequencies over 2K than I should to meet the target gain.

That’s a big difference, why not print those screenshots off and show them to your audiologist, it’ll be interesting to “hear” their explanation on why they are set up like this, I’d say the second follow up will get better results.

1 Like

Update: If I pull the custom shells partly out, the feedback test runs fine. It seems the shells are too long.

I do have long and wide canals and it has taken some effort to get a cshell that fits in the same way my half shells fit. These do fit but the high frequencies are now missing. I will be going back in a couple of weeks.

I did point out to the HAD that the gain charts look very different but she said “well that is what the program has given you. Try it and see if it works”

Update2: I went back to HAD and they performed the feedback threshold test in the sound proof booth and lo and behold the feedback threshold curve has risen massively for the higher frequencies. Why they don’t do that as standard I have no idea as its really not much of extra effort.
The feedback threshold curve is now above all the target gains. :slight_smile:
Outside the booth in the normal office (a closed room) there is still plenty of background noises such as fans, air-con etc.