Phonak Lumity L70

I’m inviting comments the Phonak Audeo Lumity L70.

My Audi is recommending the L90 primarily so that in noisy situations he can stream from my left ear, which is weak in noisy situations, to my right ear, which is stronger in noise.

Unfortunately my insurance program stopped funding the L90 and will only cover the L70 or below. My Audi can still do the streaming on the L70.

Any thoughts on the benefits of the L70 vs the features which will be lost by not purchasing the 90 are more than welcome. And I am grateful for any contributions.

I don’t understand your Audi’s rationale for L90 but hopefully some of the experts on this forum will comment.

From your audiogram it looks as if L70 could suit you if properly programmed. My Lumity 50 have been effective for my hearing loss but of course everyone is different. (Note after only 16 months use, my Lumity HAs had to go back for repair - reliability underwhelming.)

Perhaps a good strategy for you would be to try L70 provided your Audi allows a reasonable trial period with no-hassle return if they don’t suit you. Good suppliers should do this, I understand. Good luck!

1 Like

Yeah it’s a bit puzzling, all the models can stream from one ear to the other regardless L30 or L90, they work on a master slave setup and this can be changed to make left or right the default, the microphones can also be attenuated for when your in noisy environments, the hands free calling is a hit and miss affair for some because if your in noisy a environment, the microphones pick up “everything” around you!

Actually any of the models can accommodate this audogram, when we talk about “extra features” it’s in the noise reduction and beam forming etc personally the difference from L70 to L90 is very small so unless you spend most of your time in bars/restaurants or mall’s, I doubt you’d notice much difference, @justlisten is right that you need to trial them to know which you prefer, because only you’ll know for sure which is suitable, I take it there’s quite a price premium as well, did you ask your insurance company if you could pay the difference if you were to choose the L90, and as mentioned the rechargeable batteries don’t have the best rap, but of course you get the 3 year warranty, so if they do give you some grief you’ll be covered there.

1 Like

I won’t comment on the 70 vs 90 issue, but really encourage you to stick with disposable battery versions. The battery on cros/bicros applications with rechargeable has a terrible reputation of not nearly long enough performance to make it through the day. The two aids communicate in a power hungry function all the time and the rechargeable ones don’t last all day. Maybe 12 hours.

WH

5 Likes

Thank you, @tenkan , for your advice.

Yes, there is quite a price difference. Full retail price for the L90, but $3499 L70. Sounds like the latter would do the job and that manual activation of speech in noise might be preferable.

1 Like

Thank you, @WhiteHat, for your comment.

Phonak Lumity is actually not my first choice, but my Audi feels strongly that the streaming feature would make a big difference and says that he can’t do this with any other HA except Starkey. He prefers Phonak because he says that it has more setting options and because Starkey has had more problems in his experience. I am leery of the battery issues which you’ve mentioned because I did run out of power on a previous trial.

I actually have already trialed the Lumity and didn’t care for it due to sound quality, unexplainable program changes by AutoSense, and frequently disconnecting from my phone. My phone might be the problem with the latter issue. My Audi was on vacation for the second half of that trial period and believes that he can fix any issues I experienced previously, so he’s pushing me to give it another try. He obviously really likes Phonak.

In favor of Phonak, I was asking others to repeat themselves much less often than with other hearing aids and that’s what I’m looking for in a new hearing aid.

My first choice would be Signia or Widex because of the natural sound quality.

Thanks, @justlisten, for your suggestion. My insurance company allows fir a 60-day trial, so that certainly allows a reasonable length of time to try them out.

You may have answered this already, but what phone do you have? It makes a difference.

I have the LG Journey, which uses the Android version 10 operating system.

I would think about get a newer phone. Android 10 is pretty old now. You can find refurbished ones in Amazon for good prices.

Who is your carrier. T mobile , Verizon etc

Here’s a new phone that has Android 13

Verizon is my carrier.

That phone I listed would work for you. Here’s the specs from Motorola.

carrier compatibility

AT&T

• Compatible | supports WiFi Calling, VoLTE || 1

Verizon

• Compatible | supports VoLTE, WiFi Calling || 1

T-Mobile

• Compatible | supports VoLTE, WiFi Calling, Video Calling || 1

Boost

U.S. Cellular

1 Like