Phonak Lumity and amber alerts in Ontario

So recently we had a few amber alerts here in Ontario. My HAs (Phonak Slim L90-R) are connection to my iPhone via Bluetooth and even though my phone is in silent mode and never makes any noise when amber alerts come in, I just about crashed my car when they blared in my ears.

I know our friends in the States can disable government alerts, but this is not an option here in Canada.

Anybody knows a solution?

Thanks!

I think you have to turn all notifications off.

Do you use an iPhone or an Android? For me on my Pixel 6 Pro, I can go into the settings menu and search for alert, and it will take me to the alerts where I can enable or disable them.

It may not work depending on carrier settings, but it looks like my phone supports enabling or disabling it.

1 Like

I have an iPhone SE. It’s a work phone; it’s managed. (I have no idea what they’ve changed or control).

I searched in settings for ALERT.

First item is NOTIFICATIONS. I’ve turned off “announce notifications”

Doing so, if I’ve turned off the volume on the phone, I don’t get amber alerts I had a rescue dog and amber alerts would severely affect him. If they were only for my region I would feel better. I’m in Toronto, roughly. If the amber alert is for North Bay or Thunder Bay I can’t possibly help the person involved.

There’s another setting. RINGER and ALERTS. That leads to Sounds &Haptics. That leads to RINGTONE and ALERT VOLUME. Volume can be set, but it affects both and I’m hard of hearing. It’s at full.
It leads on to a choice. RING MODE, and SILENT MODE. Somehow my choice is RING MODE and I think that’s because it’s a managed phone.

I hope this helps…

DL

2 Likes