Phonak L90 sporadically restarting

A friend asked me today for advice about a pair of fairly new Phonak L90 hearng aids which she is using with a Samsung A54 phone.

The problem she has is that one (or both, she wasn’t sure) hearing aids restart randomly, playing the Phonak musical tone sequence. She thinks it happens when her phone is just out of Bluetooth range, or goes out of range, of the hearing aids.

I don’t know much about Phonak or Android because I’m a Resound/iPhone user. But I can’t imagine any reason why the L90s should restart if they are on the edge of Bluetooth range with her smartphone.

Can anyone suggest please what might be the problem, or suggest where I could look for an issue?

It is not restarting (mine do that whenever i walk into my kitchen) it is just changing programs from bluetooth to auto, it also does it when using a Roger or the TV connector.
While I walk around the kitchen, they go back and forth between programs, auto to bluetooth and back again, over and over.
@david.hendon

4 Likes

That is very helpful to know! Thank you.

I don’t seem to get the jingle when out of range with my P70 but my Step Mum with M70 was saying the same and asking me why. I thought the issue was something else but I guess not.

2 Likes

It may depend on a setting, but the friend (who is my sister in law) is definitely not up to DIY and I really hesitate to get that involved!

If it were Resound I would but it’s 10 years since I’ve used Target.

On the phone disable the notification for the My Phonak APP, that’s what I did on my Samsung S20.

The jingle is coming from her hearing aids not her phone though?

1 Like

exactly, the phone is sending it to the Ha’s, so that’s were you’re going to hear it.

Turn off Bluetooth on devices when you are not using them or you will chew through the battery on the right (master) hearing aid really quick.

Jordan

Sure, but for some like myself, I’m connected to the phone all day, so if I had the notifications turned on for all the Apps, it would never stop, so just pick the ones that are vital and disable all the others.

1 Like

I only have text and FaceTime. All others are completely turned off but emails that come to my screen only.

Notifications would drive me mad!

2 Likes

What I don’t understand is if the jingle means the phone is out of Bluetooth range, how is the phone sending a notification to her hearing aid?

If the phone has been streaming something (even silence) to the HAs, and then it goes out of range, you switch from streaming to automatic.

The startup sound is distinct from the automatic sound. If the hearing aids were restarting (and I have had aids do this) it goes quiet for a while- maybe 5 seconds. The other aid announces it lost its mate (a distinct tone). Then the startup tones come.

WH

1 Like

@david.hendon I have all audio notificatons switched off and was happy with it.
BUT: the latest MyPhonak app version offers an option to stay always connected. It’s a nice feature, but when activated it signals with a 4 tone in the HA whenever one comes back into the phones BT range. I.e. when the connection re-establishes.
I think that’s what happens at your friends setting.
I switched the always connected option off .
EDIT: the reconnectiom signal sounds like Phonak-generated, not from the phone.
And it’s neither the power-ON nor the reconnect-to-TVconnector signal.
It’s 3 days now since I deactivated the stay always connected option. Never had it since.

3 Likes

That feature chews battery power. I keep it off. I rarely use the app except to mute the external microphones when exercising with an online class using my iPhone.

Jordan

@JordanK Ifound it not so bad regarding the battery power consumption. But let us not get into this. :grinning:

2 Likes

Thanks very much everyone. I am super impressed by all the very helpful responses here and I think I can sort my friend out now. I know she will be very grateful too.

Some people’s Phonak hearing aids will automatically restart when the risk of whistling increases, such as when a hat obscures the hearing aid, probably because the hearing aid requires a high operating current in order to eliminate whistling.