Phonak L90 sometimes red LED after charging - what does that mean?

OW. I can SO empathize. Last thing we want on the job (or really, ANY place) is for aids to go OFF on us. This is another clear example why Phonak (and others) need to keep making battery-operated aids an option for us.

If I had battery-operated Lumity Life aids, I’d need ONE pair (not TWO), and ONE Roger stick, not TWO. (yes others are happy to xfer licenses back and forth all day, but not me) I’d travel with slim packs of batteries and not a clunky charger that needs reliable power to plug in to.

I’d have a LOT more confidence away from home, not worrying when WWIII will begin and will I have any power anywhere to charge my lil’ ol’ aids up in the thick of things. It shouldn’t be like this.

Well, I am just going to say that is extremely poignant, and took my breath away. You stay safe, and wife, too, as you are still here with us and sharing your insights and experiences.

1 Like

Thank you @1Bluejay:heart: Unfortunately, tragedy usually doesn’t come alone, fate, cause, and effect, will usually come into play… Keez girlfriend Ali died 10 weeks later, in his car! And, I gave her the car… The anguish & guilt I felt, was truthfully unimaginable, Ali had begged & pleaded for the car, it was a Skoda Fabia VRS, a souped up Derv, 197 BHP, and Ali was in that Fabia, probably just as much as Keez? They had been going out together for about 3 years, and Ali lived just as much in our house, as she was at home, she was essentially family… The value of the car wasn’t the issue, you don’t care about monetary things when someone passes, I was worried it might be too powerful, and so it proved… Basically Ali took a corner too quick, went into a skid in heavy rain, hit a deviation sign post, which the car ramped up, and hit a very large tree, hitting the tree, roof first, killing her instantly, and the young guy she was giving a lift too…It took many years, for me to come to terms with, I am acutely aware, I couldn’t honestly have refused Ali that car, it was her connection to Keez, but in hindsight, had I refused, she might not have spoken to me again, but she may have lived to tell the tale? My extreme apologies for the thread hijack…Kev x

It isn’t yet game over for disposable batteries. The following is a listing from the hearing aid guide on this site. I filtered by severe hearing loss (to limit it to prescription aids) and by receiver-in-canal aids (to exclude BTE and custom aids, where rechargeables mostly haven’t made inroads yet):

https://www.hearingtracker.com/hearing-aids/compare/f/featured/all/*/all/all/all/severe/receiver-in-canal

It lists 16 product families, but one of them is Jabra Enhance Select which is OTC, so it’s really 15 product families. 11 families include disposable battery RIC models. The 4 that don’t are Phonak Lumity, Starkey Genesis AI, Signia Pure IX, and Signia Styletto AX.

So right now 11 of 15 RIC product families have disposable battery options. As for where we’re going, the greater sales of rechargeable aids certainly is reason to worry for those of us who don’t want them. But I recall a recent post by @1Bluejay, saying that a Phonak rep told her they’re going to re-introduce disposables, which I assume means in Lumity or the followup flagship line. Meanwhile, there are disposable battery choices out there, and giving up on them won’t help keep them around in the future. I’m glad to have just bought a pair of Oticon Reals powered by 312 batteries.

1 Like

Sorry for your losses, kevels55.

Years ago I went to Scotland, all the way to the Outer Hebrides, beautiful country and I met some very nice people there.

Back on topic.

Another night out of the dehumidified room and they charged with no red lights. It’s looking like the temperature was the problem.

1 Like

I have had some phonak recharging issues and have taken to switching the aids off prior to putting them in the charger. You can then see when they start charging (and confirm that you have inserted them properly).
Another vote for disposable batteries) :slight_smile:
Hth someone.

Moving them out of the dehumidified (and hot) room solved the problem.

I don’t turn them off before putting them in the charger, they are supposed to do that automatically.

After all these years, it seems odd not to have to change batteries twice a week, however, I would still prefer disposable batteries. I know that eventually the capacity of these batteries will diminish, all rechargeable batteries do that. Plus with spare disposables being so easy to stash anywhere, there is security in knowing that a spare is in my pocket, on my keychain.