Phonak L90-R goes off for 5 seconds, and back on for 40 then repeats

I have an audi appt early next week, to discuss this problem but I’m curious if anyone else has it.

My L90s were fuzzy, like a blown speaker, and they went back to Phonak. It took over 3 week to get them back. My audi says they replaced the internal parts.

Now the right one may work for a few hours, then it will drop out for 5 seconds, work for about 40 seconds and repeat this for many cycles, over 15 minutes.

I did some basic troubleshooting on an end user level.

First, I rebooted my phone and did not turn the app on. Same problem.

Next I turned the phone off, still the same.

So I’m guessing it’s not the phone or the app.

I found I can force the start of the on-off cycle by manually turning the volume of the right aid either up or down.

If I turn cycle the volume with the left side up or down, it starts the cycle again.

In either case it’s the right aid that goes on and off.

I suspect they are going back to repair again, but I’m still curios.

Any ideas?

It might be a bad electrical contact or short in the receiver or its wire. I once had something similar. I’d replace the receiver.
May you could swap the receivers for a test so check if the problem moves to the other side.

1 Like

Thanks.

How do I do that?

Thanks firenzel and sterei.

I didn’t even know end users can do that. Do you know where to get the tool?

Bob

If you have a smart phone, you probable have one. Sim card tool :

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=sim+card+tool&adgrpid=1330409633467152&hvadid=83150672983006&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=48246&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=e&hvtargid=kwd-83150943764681%3Aloc-190&hydadcr=24662_10681382&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_6f1rl8jkzo_e

1 Like

You could try a toothpic , or use a needle

1 Like

Thanks to you both.

I have the sim card tool with the loop on the back end. This is good to know, and I think I’ll get one of those sturdier tools for future use.

I don’t think it’s the receiver. The on/off cycle is too regular. Also if I wiggle the wire, it makes no difference. But I could be wrong.

It works fine until I either raise or lower the volume. Then it cycles, about one minute on and about 10 seconds off. It’s pretty regular without touching the aid, so it seems software to me.

Since I have an appointment this week, I’m going to see what happens there before I go any further.

It’s a bit frustrating, so I’m wearing my 6-year-old Oticons a lot more than my new Phonaks. I suppose it’ll get fixed.

Went to the audi today, she deleted and replaced the app on the phone, and deleted and replaced the software on the hearing aids.

It seemed fine this morning when she was done, then about 1:30 PM the right aid started going off and on again. This time with a more irregular pattern.

It’s my second Phonaks sinc October. I’m beginning to think they may be junk.

The first problem was distortion. That happened about a month or so ago. She sent them back to Phonak, who said they replaced everything but the cases, and they came back with this new issue.

I’m waiting for a return call. I might try to get my money back via the lemon laws if she can’t Phonak to fix them.

I’m back to my 6-yer-old Oticons again.

Aaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhh.

Well, at least the old aids still work, so I’m not SOTL.

Audi wants to trade my Phonaks for a brand-new pair.

This one has given me trouble now three times since last October, and after I mentioned the word ‘lemon’ she got the idea.

The story continues.