Phonak introduces Marvel platform and Audéo M hearing aids

Wasn’t there a post about some Signia research that claimed (without mentioning the Marvels) that they had problems outside? I think it was with the NFC between ears? I think the claim was that inside, the signals could bounce off of walls since they couldn’t go through your head, but outside there wasn’t enough reflectivity? Could have this all wrong, but I am remembering something like this. If you can’t find it, let me know and I should be able to.

2 Likes

I think you’re thinking of this

3 Likes

Anyone with actual experience on this? @GR8Dane?

I agree there can be a problem outdoors without walls etc to bounce off. Depends a bit where the phone is in relation to which hearing aid it is transmitting to. With the Marvels, the right ear is the default, but this can be changed to the left me in the programming, if you keep your phone in a left hand pocket, for example. You may find this helps! Also, try putting your phone upside down.

A TV connector is a hardware device, a box with input cable connections such as RCA cables or TOSLINK optical cable, AND, is has a wireless output capability, namely Bluetooth Wireless. Bluetooth is a wireless protocol used by The TV connector and also by your hearing aids to send/receive the audio signal wirelessly.

I just wonder whether the sound quality is also different with the TV connector vs Bluetooth

Started a new thread for this discussion;
Sound quality TV connector vs Bluetooth.

2 Likes

You mentioned that the latest software is at 6.0.2. What version is the latest firmware or is it identified with the software number?

I just got my M-13T Marvels from my Audiologist this morning and turned in my trial editions. Anyone else have these yet? They were just released on Monday. I’m looking forward to trying them out. I’ll be out racing this weekend, so I’ll check-in with an update when I can.

2 Likes

Interested in how the telecoil works, Have been trialling the M90R and generally very pleased!

Hoping to get mine next week and will be using a Roger MyLink telecoil (and 4 Roger pens) with the M90-13T. I’ll be using the telecoil near daily so I will be putting it to the test!

Just out of curiosity - why would you be using telecoil connection daily? Phonak Marvel streams directly to HA, plus you always have the CC option or verbal printout if you want on your phone. So are you going some where daily where there is a “loop connection” that would benefit you using telecoil feature?

Sound recover should be verified on-ear. The tools for this have been around for at least the past five years. The phonak software tries to take a guess, but verification will show where it needs to be set or whether it needs to be turned off.

The warble-y sounds you are getting sound like more of an issue with the feedback management. You may need to just deactivate the feedback manager in the music program, and then may need to crank down the high frequency gain to manage the feedback instead. Musicians need more careful music programs. I actually prefer my musicians bring their instruments along if reasonable, though some may not like this as it can really swell appointment time if you are inefficient.

1 Like

Telecoil for Roger via the Roger MyLink telecoil I mentioned in my post. I am in settings where I use Roger pens on an almost daily basis. Roger is not available with direct connect until the fall. This is a bridge until RogerDirect is activated.

WRT pairing, it’s not just a matter of knowing what you are doing. If you’re a home user, it’s not such a big deal to reboot your computer, but if you are using your computer for work and running more applications, rebooting can be a much more involved and time consuming process and it disrupts your work. It’s one thing to do this once. It’s another matter altogether to have to go through this process every time you switch the Marvels from one device to another. The rebooting issue isn’t solely related to the Marvels. When I got my Opns, I had to reboot the computer for them as well. Another colleague at my office has a different bluetooth headset and he also had to reboot to be able to use it. The fundamental issue is that the Marvels can only be paired to one device at a time. This is a design issue. Phonak offered no fix for this limitation, even when I told them I would return them if they made no commitment to fix the problem. With the Opns, they can be paired to multiple devices, so they do not have to un-paired and re-paired to switch from one device to another. In fact, the actual hearing aids stay connected to all of the devices, all of the time. I can adjust the volume or view battery status using either of the phones while I’m on a call using the laptop. The limitation is that the connect clip can only be connected to one device at a time. The Opns still work on my iphone even when the connect clip is paired to the laptop or my android phone. My understanding is that there will be a fix for this, which will be fantastic.

WRT reliability, the Marvel connection to my laptop was so unreliable, it was unusable. Virtually every time I made a skype call, the connection would drop at least once or twice, during which time, I was not able to hear or be heard during the call. Restoring the connection involved turning the bluetooth off and on, sometimes multiple times. I had to keep a back-up USB headset on hand. It got to the point where my colleagues were so annoyed with the continuous disruptions that I just gave up and went back to the USB headset. They also complained about the audio from the Marvels. They said it sounded like I was speaking though a tunnel. This issue is completely gone with the Opns. I have not had a single instance of the connection dropping and the audio is much better for listeners. Again, there is no comparison between the Marvels and the Opns.

The difference in the connectivity between the Marvels and the Opns is night and day. IMO, the Marvels are an unfinished prototype but the Opns are a polished product. The Phonak press release is grossly misleading, with respect to their connectivity capability.

With the Marvel Audeo Ms you can make a call using the phone, or by using voice commands. Assuming that the HAs are connected by Bluetooth, once the call is started the audio will stream to your hearing aids and all you need to do is speak–the microphones in the aids will pick it up. They can also pick up things going on around you, so be mindful–especially if you work in a field where confidential information might be discussed. To take an incoming call, just press the button on either hearing aid and answer it as if you had the phone in your hand. Or, I believe you can long press the button to reject a call. I must admit, I have gotten some interesting looks when using this feature.

1 Like

The pairing in the other device (phone or laptop) is retained, but the Marvels will not reconnect to it unless you delete the pairing. The reason for this is because the pairing process involves the devices sharing an encryption key. It doesn’t help if your laptop remembers the key when the Marvels don’t.

I didn’t use the Marvels much on either of my phones, because it was too much of a PITA to re-pair them with my laptop. It’s simply too time consuming and disruptive to reboot my laptop every time to do this. So I have no comment on whether the reliability of the connection to the phones was any better. With the laptop, it was so unreliable, it was basically unusable, so I gave up. It wasn’t just keeping them connected, it was restoring the connection after a disconnect that was also a problem. Often, the stereo headphone device would reconnect, but the hands free headset device (with the microphone) would not reconnect. The latter device is what’s required for skype. My laptop is a new HP EliteBook with an intel wifi / bluetooth adapter, running current drivers.

Um–what are OPNS? Not familiar with the brand.

Oticon is the brand, just another of the 5 or 6 of the main brands of hearing aids.

Ahh–Kinda thought the O was for Oticon. Thanks.