Phonak introduces Marvel platform and Audéo M hearing aids

phonak

I think this adds confusion to the conversation. Where did this update come from? If I reading this correctly, Phonak is now saying that they own the XS/XS Max bug? They have been adamant that it was an Apple issue. I’m asking my Audi to contact the Phonak rep in the Houston area for clarification.

I think it means you don’t have to hold the phone to your ear. That is, you can talk on the phone while it’s lying on the table, freeing up your hands for taking notes, or knitting, or something. Depending on the strength of the BT, which I don’t know, you might even be able to talk on a phone that’s in the kitchen while you’re in another room. The mic part of a normal phone is replaced by the receiver on your HA.

Interesting. It sounds like they have figured a way to work with the calls issue with iPhone XS but the Audi will have to select that in their software settings. There will be a setting for iPhones 9 and below and a separate choice for iPhone XS. That’s my guess

The updated information came from my audiologist today. I love the Marvel aids I have on trial but won’t buy them until the iPhone XS Max connectivity issue is resolved.

It is possible that the firmware update may fix some of the other issues that others on this forum have identified.

It seems good news and hopefully a resolution will be with us in a few weeks.

I too, LOVE my Audéo M-R90’s. And I do hope that either Phonak or Apple or together gets these fixes to us ASAP.

Here is the latest statement from Phonak on the iPhone XS/XS Max issue:

Marvel Phone Compatibility – great news for iPhone X users!

Hopefully, you and your patients have taken advantage of our new support site marvel-support.phonak.com. Here you’ll find information on phone compatibility as well as how-to videos on setup and FAQs. We have received some feedback from you on the iPhone X models, and our additional testing showed these phones to have intermittent Bluetooth® connectivity with many devices, including Marvel hearing aids.We have collaborated with Apple and have identified a solution to Apple’s connectivity issue via a firmware upgrade to our Marvel hearing aids. This firmware will be available in the new version of Target coming next month with the release of our Audéo™ M 312T and 13T models. So reassure iPhone X users that in just a few weeks they’ll be able to stream phone calls, music and more without issues!

ROTFLOL. The iPhone has intermittent bluetooth connectivity issues but we fixed their problem with our firmware upgrade. With the future upgrade we at Phonak have found a way, when the iPhone X series are having this issue, to connect to them via magic.

Bottom line - Phonak made some major mistakes either (not pre-testing Audeo M before marketing) or (ignoring connectivity issues intentionally). With Resound and Widex coming out with new HA’s in 2018 you have to wonder if Phonak rushed the Audeo M to market, without first getting all the “bugs” taken care of. Back in the old days when HA’s cost $500 to $1000 a mistake here or there might be allowable. But what the “F” with one HA now going for $2,500 and up - users don’t want to swallow manufacturer mistakes. Especially if they are intentional. The majority reviews of this board have been very good in detailing the pros and cons of Phonak HA’s. But no one likes to shell out $5000 plus for two hearing aids and then find out they don’t work as promised. Or worse yet - there is no near term solution to an unwanted problem. In any case due to Phonak’s sell first and deal with “defect problems” later I will be spending more time looking at Widex and Resound for my next hearing aid.

Is it possible that the Marvel was developed and sent to manufacturing before the latest Apple phone could be tested and found to be different thus requiring this Marvel software update? Correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t the Marvel work with older Apple phones and the problem is with Apple’s newest phone? I wonder what is different with the newest iPhone that is causing problems? I’m no expert, just thinking out loud.

I’m glad that my Phonak Audeo Marvel M90 works just fine with my Android Google Pixel 3 XL.

You are correct. The original iPhone X and all previous models are fine, it is the latest iPhones that were released in Sept 2018 that are the issue.

Maybe this is related

https://appleinsider.com/articles/18/10/03/bluetooth-in-iphone-xs-iphone-xs-max-reportedly-causing-audio-connectivity-issues

My take is that none of this stuff (wireless two way communication) will ever be “rock solid.” If you think it’s going to be, you’re setting yourself up for disappointment. Heck, even cell phones which are pretty mature technology have lost connections. Expecting perfection from hearing aid wireless communication is a recipe for disappointment. Being pleased and somewhat surprised and amazed when it works will likely lead to more satisfaction.

Bluetooth communication between my last two Android Pixel phones has actually been “rock solid” as long as I was withing 30 feet of my phone. My Pixel phone connects reliably with two wireless headphones, three different cars, two wireless printers, two Android tablets, and 3 Windows 10 computers. And, of course, I connect reliably to my Phonak Audeo Marvel M90’s.

I realize that there can be Bluetooth interference problems from other devices like microwave ovens, wireless landline phones, anything operating on the same wavelength, but I’ve personally had no connectivity problems with my devices, even when I was recently in the hospital for two weeks.

As an aside, I haven’t used my wireless headsets since getting my Marvels, as the Marvels are actually better as they are adapted to my high frequency hearing loss! :slight_smile:

I’m the reverse. Since I have open domes and good low-frequency hearing, I haven’t used my streaming devices except as remote microphones since I got my Microsoft Surface Noise-Cancelling Over-The-Ear Headphones. The earcups are large enough to fit over my ears and Quattro’s. The headphones play whatever to my headphones and to my eardrums directly. The high-frequency loss is compensated by being played to my ears through my HA’s and the bass played directly to my ears from the headphones is stronger than the smaller drivers of the HA’s could generate. The passive and active noise-cancellation of the headphones makes it easier to enjoy what I want to hear while in noisy listening environments.

Very interesting comment! Maybe I’ve been too quick to judge and return my Sony WH-1000XM3 headset I got for Christmas! It was such a revelation to be able to once again hear the sweet sound of the violins in a symphony orchestra! I still have my older Sony WH-1000XM2 noise cancelling headset, so based on your comment, I think I’ll give it another try. I may very well be going back to Best Buy to get the XM3’s again.

I have several Microsoft Surface computers and haven’t heard the Microsoft headset. Have you compared them to the Sony?

Mark Chambers started a great thread on headphones and music. According to an NPR article by an NPR sound engineer I linked in the thread, the NPR guy feels that if you have good hearing, the best headphones to use are on-the-ear, not over-the-ear, headphones because he says some of the lower frequencies will leak out and come back to your ears and give you more a sense of spatiality. And the sound quality is better if the headphones are non-noise cancellling.

for a very limited set of 14 HA users who took a poll in that thread, the preference was for over-the-ear NON- noise cancelling headphones.

So I guess I’m different.

The Sony 1000mx3’s from a number of reviews are currently judged to be the best over-the-ear noise-cancelling headphones both for noise cancellation and music quality. Most reviews judge the Microsoft effort to be an also-ran. I got mine because I’m a “Microsoftie” type of guy, I liked the dial control of noise-cancellation and volume, and I mostly listen to talk podcasts so music quality was not much of a concern for me but adequate noise cancellation was. With HA’s with open domes, I couldn’t enjoy my talk podcasts in noisy environments as much as I could by just wearing earbuds or over-the-ear headphones (without ANC).

If you search the forum, you’ll find most people are happy with ANC headphones. If you’re a true discerning audiophile and listen in quiet environments, you may not want the ANC. Perhaps if the store has the right setup and demo models, you can try stuff out in the store and play “noise” through your phone and see how they work in store before going through all the trouble of a second purchase and any further disappointment?

Apparently there’s a BT protocol inconsistency that may be neither side’s fault. But Phonak’s solution, having the fitter set whether you can use those iPhones or everything else, is good only as a stopgap. IMO here is what they should do:

Use a stable set of BT features to connect the app to the aids, so the app will work on all devices. Allow the app to connect from multiple devices concurrently.

Have the app show you which devices are paired to the aids, and let you say if a device is an iPhone XS etc. that needs the new protocol for calls and streaming. Also, and this is important, include a feature to let you say “I want to stream with this device now. Don’t let any other paired device interfere.”

Boy I like your picture of new molds. Couple questions - is the 'receiver" still located in the mold itself and if so does it fit in the narrow tip section? Am I also correct that the outer ear section of the mold is completely clear? And these new new molds are for the Resound Quantro?

Its been a long time since I’ve seen a custom HA mold (with receiver inside) that is actually 60, 70% clear.

Here is the clear soft silicon mold for the Widex Evoke. You can see the receiver in the mold. So much better than domes —at least for me.

And no occlusion with those molds? I think I’m going to have to get customs, because domes have just never worked for me. Last customs I had made for RICs were about five years ago and are hard, flesh-colored, and uncomfortable. If I could get a pair like those–remind me of my original molds with my first BTEs–I’m on board.

Though I am using a dome right now–not sure the manufacturer-- that is large and flared but has two cuts in it to better full the ear canal. I can touch the tube and have the domes move slightly to completely close my ear to give me better bass, but of course then I’m occluded. But then I can touch them again to clear it. Handy for now, but perhaps not a permanent solution. :smile: