Phonak introduces Marvel platform and Audéo M hearing aids

Not sure if your remark is specific to Marvel’s or Phonak’s but I’ve noticed that my left Quattro seems to run down its battery faster than my right and was wondering if a similar situation obtains for ReSound HA’s, specifically the Quattro’s. I intend to ask my audi the next time that I see her but wondered if you could provide any insight here on ReSound’s or Quattro’s? (I’ve also found that a good way to run down HA rechargeable batteries is to forget to turn the HA’s off at night when I take them out!!! - too bad there is not a “sleep” or a “hibernate” function that you can set for when you’re not wearing them to have them time out but if there were, it might get in the way of the Find My HA BT homing function. Oh, vell).

Thanks, Neville. I remember that now that you mention it. (I would swear that I’d connected to both the first time, but guess it’s just my Alzheimer’s at work. :grinning:) My audiologist asked me which of my ears is dominant; I guess maybe he can select which one connects.

The question now is why the Remote app has decided not to connect.

Correct – both at once.

And that’s exactly why I immediately decided I didn’t want the B-Directs. And why my audiologist sent them they back; he felt they’d been misrepresented.

And why it’s such a relief to see that they seem to have gotten it right this time!

Last night I downloaded the Phonak remote app to the iPad and my hearing aids could pair that way. Now they show discoverable in my Bluetooth settings, but they still won’t pair to stream. I fully charged the aids. Restarted them countless times, restarted the iPad. Turned off Apple TV, and my iPhone BT and did it all again. Still no go. I do have an Apple Watch but I have it turned onto airplane mode so that BT is off I think.

After trying my husband’s iPad and iPhone, we realized it wasn’t my iPad that was the problem. None of our devices were recognizing my aids when in pairing mode.

I asked him if I should drive away from the house and phone and try again lol. He said to power off my phone. This did the trick. Turning off the BT on my phone wasn’t enough for pairing to other devices.

iPad is now paired. Maybe this will help someone else.

The streaming sound is excellent.

1 Like

Yet another update. Now that my iPad is connected, I cannot stream to my iPhone. With my Compilot, I would just turnoff BT on the one and turn on BT on the other. I did try powering down my iPad and re-pairing to my phone. That didn’t work for some reason. I’m running iOS 12.1.1 on iPad. Not sure the BT version it runs on. Just did some investigating and my BT is version 4.0

The remote app is actually working better switching between devices. My issue is with streaming on two different devices at different times.

ETA my iPhone is a 6plus and is running on 4.2

The Marvel’s “designated ear” device will drain a little quicker as it in managing both ears during streaming.

If one HA sends the signal to the other one, it’s hard to see the purpose of choosing one or the other as the “designated ear” (I assume that’s also the HA used as a mic during phone calls, but again, why choose; it makes a ton of sense for the B-Direct, but Marvel?)

Ok so I spoke with my Audi and with the Phonak BT helpline. Because Apple considers IPADs phones, I do have to go through all of this rigamoroe each time I want to switch from streaming from iPad to iPhone.

I asked why it was so much easier with the Compilot and she said it is a different software platform.

So I have to unpair and re-pair and power-down the device to switch from one to another. She said if Apple ever decides to call iPads something other than phones, it would resolve the problem.

Seems odd to me that this is Apple’s fault :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

It’s ALWAYS somebody else’s fault. :wink:

1 Like

That’s not my experience. Which iPad and iPad versions do you have?

I have to power down the one, and then forget device, and restart my aids. When I called the Phonak BT helpline she said unfortunately that is how it is because Apple considers iPads to be an iPhone and you can only connect to one iPhone.

No doubt!

Hopefully they will find a solution

It does stereo very well. Even my ‘60s Ray Charles music does it :heart_eyes:

1 Like

The rep told me that the re-pairing has to be done switching to iPad or iPhone, but not other types,of devices like computer or TV.

I think each device must have a device type so that it can be treated according to the type of device it actually is. For example when a Phone device wants to connect to your hearing aids, you can just say Hello, and the connection magically starts. But you would never want to say hello to your TV :expressionless:

Hmmmmm; I wonder if it’s possible to have an iPad designated as something other than a phone (not a phone) by changing some settings? Just a crazy thought. I don’t know much about Apple products.

I was finally able to get the Remote app working again. How did I do it? By following the instructions in the Phonak FAQ (as shared by Parth_p at Phonak introduces Marvel platform and Audéo M hearing aids ) , once I finally found them.

They say:

Most issues are fixed with the following simple steps:

Simple steps? Well, I guess…

After reinstalling, the hearing aids connected with the app immediately. This is the second time I’ve had to do this; I had to reinstall in the audiologist’s office because the app was crashing every time I tried to run it. It fixed that problem, too.

I did try that, thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it didn’t work because it’s an Apple thing, (according to Phonak BT rep).

There is a “plus side” from this inconvenience. There is no BT confusion between the two devices like I had before with the Compilot. That confusion was always simple enough to fix (toggle off BT on the device I wasn’t streaming).

I’ve left the Apple Watch out of the picture today to reduce variables. It doesn’t see my HA like it did my Compilot, I know that much. I could go for a walk with just my I watch and the Compilot as you can download playlists and songs directly to the watch. Now with Marvel it seems you can only stream to your phone and then the iWatch is an intermediary that you can switch songs, pause and adjust volume with the dial.

Can you stream songs downloaded to your Apple Watch directly to the Marvels?

Butting in here as a non-Marvel, non-iPhone user, I wonder if what’s needed is a better overall standard for Bluetooth control/interfacing. Everybody and his brother Harry seems to have a different GUI for offering Bluetooth connectivity controls.

I like the pairing/connected interface that Microsoft has implemented for its BT Surface Headphones (SH). On an Android device in the SH interface, you can see every device that’s been paired with your SH’s and turn on or off individual connections to all devices. And in the Android interface on my phone, for each device that’s been paired with the phone, I can drill down and see the individual BT profiles that are allowed with each pairing and turn them on or off. I wish all BT interfaces offered the combined properties of both the SH’s and my Android phone’s BT interfaces - i.e., maybe phone apps for HA’s need a better BT interface with more options/information available to users. Another nice feature of the SH’s is for many things (not all) a voice tells you what you’ve done when you press a button - so rather than just getting a series of beeps from your HA’s that you either have to memorize the meaning of or run to your manual to look up, it would be nice if HA’s could give you verbal feedback (which is sometimes annoying, not always desirable, but the SH’s are sometimes smart enough not to interrupt you, for example, when you’re streaming a podcast but otherwise manipulating their connectivity by, say, turning on a computer to which they connect).

Again, a bit of an off-topic example, I like the BT connectivity diagram in the ReSound Smart 3D app of things that are actually connected to my HA’s but nowhere in the app can I find a list and controls of everything that’s been paired with my HA’s (and it would be nice if the phone app also offered a similar GUI for each of the ReSound accessories I’ve been using with the HA to control their BT pairings/connectivity). Instead you just learn stuff like when you exceed your pairing limit, the first device that was ever paired will be discarded to make room for the new device that you want to pair. Well, what was that first device? Maybe you’d rather discard the pairing of some other device instead, etc., …