Phonak introduces Marvel platform and Audéo M hearing aids

I’m not a fan of the placement of the control buttons on the top of the Marvel where they contact the temples of my glasses. Even without glasses on and despite good finger dexterity I still find them hard to use pressing downward rather than forward.

I think I’ve got it figured out. What I’ve learned to do is press my ear against my Marvel and then it is held stationary. Then, at least for me, it’s relatively easy to operate the UP and DOWN buttons.

1 Like

I do find that the left is easier for me to operate than the right,

And perhaps you’re left handed? :smile:

Anyone know how to prevent the hearing aids from ringing after you’ve turned on Do Not Disturb or have declined a call? Samsung Note 9. The phone itself does what I tell it, the HAs seem to have a mind of their own.

Could it be feedback? I get a ringing when I turn them on and then it stops after a few seconds.

No I mean really ringing, as in “the phone is ringing right now”.

If I turn on “Do Not Disturb”, I want my phone not to disturb me at all, I want all notifications, phone ringing, etc. silenced. This works just fine when I’m not wearing the Marvels. I watch a lot of YouTube videos and when I’m wearing the Marvels I actually hear the phone ringing in the HA’s while I’m watching the video.

Bottom line, the HA’s, or maybe any Bluetooth device – I haven’t checked, seem to ignore the “Do Not Disturb” setting. The phone itself honors the setting though when the HA’s are not on.

Similarly, there’s a setting to decline a call by pressing the power button. When not using the HA’s, this works fine – the screen goes blank and there’s no further ringing. But when I’m wearing the HA’s, the phone still goes blank but the ringing continues in the HA’s.

It seems the HA’s – maybe any Bluetooth device, I don’t know – ignore the phone’s settings.

Of course the HA’s by themselves are not phones nor do they have any capability of being a phone by themselves. I’m using a Google Pixel 3 XL and my phone uses a pure unmodified Google operating system. Samsung extensively modifies the Google Android OS, so there could be a difference in how our phones handle calls.

If you are using Google’s “Do Not Disturb” feature (assuming Samsung has not modified it), if you attach a star preference to any of your contacts, that contact will ignore the “Do Not Disturb” and the call will come through regardless. I put a star on my Wife’s contact and on my brother’s contact. Only the two of them will ignore my “Do Not Disturb” phone feature. All other callers are blocked when “Do Not Disturb” is turned ON. Could this be a factor in your experience?

I frequently use DND whenever I’m listening to music and I don’t want to be disturbed unless it’s an emergency from a family member. The feature has always worked flawlessly in the 3 months I’ve had my Marvels.

1 Like

I think it is a phone/bluetooth issue. I have a Samsung J7, and it is connected to my Compilot II (and then to my Audeo B-R 90s). I just tried an experiment. I configured Do Not Disturb mode to allow no exceptions. Then I had someone call me, and the phone did ring through to the Compilot II. I don’t know if it is a general Android issue, or just a Samsung issue. It would be nice if they allowed one to force Do Not Disturb to override Bluetooth.

It’s not just Samsung. I have an LG G6 and my Phonak M90 Rs “tinkle” even when Do Not Disturb is on.

No, I’m Right handed, but left eared. (Or is that dog-eared? I keep forgetting).

Interesting. But it seems like Gary’s HA’s only “tinkle” – great way of putting it – with Starred contacts. Mine do it with everybody – with Do Not Disturb set to “No exceptions”. Only the Pixel gets it right?

I was not able to use this style of dome on my Marvel aids! I guess my hearing loss is so profound that I didn’t get an adequate seal? Luckily, I swapped the double-domes I’d been using on my older aids to the Marvels - worked like a charm.

NOTE: the size 13 battery Marvel I just picked up a few days ago sport yet another style of double dome: it’s shaped like a small parasol on top of a larger umbrella. Once again, I could not use those domes. The only ones that really SEAL my ears are the ones I get at Amazon: shaped more like mixing bowls, one on top of the other.

I have an Android 8 from bq. When turning DND on then the default behaviour is to ring if the caller is a contact in the address book. I had to change this setting so that the phone will never ring. It does not ring itself and it does not ring in my HAs (connected via ComPilot) as long as DND is turned on.
It looks like it’s a Samsung issue because bq uses vanilla android almost like pixel does.

Addendum–04/23/19–The zenpad never got back into commission. After becoming more and more frustrated and angry I finally just threw it in the trash. On the positive side, I have significantly decreased my “screentime”. I’m feeling much better now.

An upgraded app in the makings?

2 Likes

Did anyone hear this webinar?? Anything new??

1 Like

Update to last month’s post about Bluetooth connection problems with my Phonak Marvel 90 rechargeable. The random loss of connectivity with my phone still happens from time to time but I’ve become accustomed to the problem and, although rather irritating, it only takes a few minutes to re-pair. This morning when I put them in my ears I noticed the left aid wasn’t working. When I looked at the Phonak App it said ‘Cannot connect to device in charger’. I then removed the aid from my ear and tried switching it off and then on to re-pair. It would do neither. The problem was solved by putting both aids back in the charger while I took my dogs for their morning walk. However, I could do without this additional problem. As an Apple user I’m used to hassle-fee devices simply working and am beginning to regret not going with Resound. I was attracted by Phonak’s being a Swiss company, something I’ve always associated with quality and reliability. I guess I was being naive: no doubt like everything else these days their stuffs being made by some poor devil in an Asian sweatshop.

Sorry you’ve had that experience re Bluetooth. It’s not my experience at all. I cant help but wonder what would happen if you tried one of the latest phones from Apple, because my iPhone XS and Marvels are the same or more stable than spending 6 weeks with my iPhone XS and Quattro’s.

I haven’t had the issues with my M90s that some have experienced, but I will agree that there are too many companies that are resting on their reputations.