Phonak difference between speech in "noise" and "loud noise"

New poster here. In March I am to replace my current Phonak Audio B 90s, probably with Lumity, and am wondering if I could manage with Lumity 70 rather than the 90s.
I live in an active retirement community and much of my social life is carried our in noisy cafes and common areas. I have been unable to see a definition of speech in “noise” or “loud noise” in the forums.

I have a moderate loss, partially percussion, and partially age related but have lost all my hearing records in our last house move so no audiogram available

Cost is a consideration and repeat business incentives based on a 6 year cycle through a associated outlet mean Phonak is probably my best priced option.

It is a fairly basic question but I would be grateful for any guidance.
Thank you

Speech in noise uses traditional directional mics in the hearing aids to focus on the sound in the front hemisphere, a bit less than 180 degrees. Speech in loud noises uses ear-to-ear data transfer to create a four mic array that allows them to beam form, basically narrow that front focus down. The latter requires two hearing aids and is unavailable in unilateral fits. It’s in the 70 level, but you have to go into it manually.

3 Likes

Neville thanks! That’s very helpful.
I have Audeo Paradise P90’s.

I have Automatic as the first program.
I have Speech in Loud Noise as the second (set by my audiologist)

Will my hearing aids select this program automatically, when i’m in loud noise? Or do I have to choose it myself, manually?

Thanks in advance,
DaveL
Toronto

1 Like

Yes, in the 90 range Speech in Loud noise will be activated under the Automatic program banner if the rightbconditions are met.

3 Likes

Yes, if your clinician didn’t turn it off in the automatic program it will switch in on its own when ambient noise hits about 75dB I think. There is an option to turn it off; some people are sensitive to a bit of a pumping effect when it comes on and prefer it to just be manual.

3 Likes

Thanks Neville!
(I live near a major airport. Aircraft on final are very low. Two of us had a conversation with a neighbour who has hearing aids. I couldn’t hear at all; the other two had a fine conversation. So I made an appointment with my audiologist. There’s more to the story. Point is that I finally had my P90 R’s setup after that session. It had been a year and a half since I got them. That’s why speech in loud noise is my second program)
Setup is key!

2 Likes

Thanks for the information, Neville & others. It will help me in making a decision after I have seen the audiologist.

Hi @Euang. I have the Lumity 90s to which I upgraded from my Audeo B90s. I can confirm that the automatic switching works well. In fact the difference from my B90s in speech in noise is like night and day (also so is the music response which is outstanding).

1 Like

Thanks for that information, from your comments and others, Lumity is a major upgrade for me and I should anticipate a really good increase in my understanding in crowds.

Neville’s comment that the speech in noise was present in the L70 on a manual program is also of interest as that would be quite simple for me to manage.

Thanks to all!

Thanks Louie

Thanks Neville.

I was in an open ward when I had real troubles hearing. Lying down with my head on the pillow, I had to ask they repeat everything. Yet I could hear talk behind me very well.

A concern of mine—could the hearing aids be too low, too far back? I’ve put the little plastic wingdings on that are supposed to hold the hearing aids in place. They’re on my receivers and I hope they lift the hearing aids a little…They were on when I first got the hearing aids, when they were first fitted. I took them off because I couldn’t put new wax guards in with them on the receivers.

Thanks,
DaveL
Toronto

My Dads friend found this.

She was on the smallest wire/tube bit and they were really far back. She heard better behind then in front.

She has since changed brands of HAs and Altho still on the smallest size, it’s better.

She wore Signia and now Phonak.

@Zebras

I was fat on my back, lying on one of many beds in the ward. So the microphones were pointed behind me. Phonak Audeo Paradise P90R’s

My first hearing aid was an in the ear hearing aid, left ear. I could hear conversations 50 yards behind me in a noisy cafeteria. I couldn’t hear across the table. It spent a lot to time in my pocket.

DaveL