Phonak cShell vs. SlimTip for Audéo M

I currently have Audéo V90-312s with a cShell in the left and a Power Dome in the right. The Power Dome is new as of yesterday. So far so good, but a little too soon to know for sure. The unvented Power Dome I’m now wearing seems more occlusive than the cShell in the other ear that has AOV (audiogram-specific) venting.

I’m expecting M90-312 replacements in 10 days or so. I’m expecting to have Power Domes on both sides initially, but if that doesn’t work out for some reason I’d switch to cShells or SlimTips.

I’ve seen close-up pictures of SlimTips and videos of inserting/removing a receiver. I know they can be ordered with various levels of venting, including none. But I’d like to know when one would be indicated instead of a cShell (or a non-custom dome).

I use KS8 (Rexton/Signia), so am not all that familiar with the Phonak fittings. I had concluded that the slim tip was like a click dome, and while custom molded, the various S,M,P receivers could click into it. The cShells I thought were the full custom molds with the highest power (physically larger) receiver custom molded into it. But, I may have that backwards or ?? That is the way the Signia ones work.

Yes, the SlimTip accepts insertion of any of three powers of standard receivers, S/M/P. cShells can be ordered with any of the four receiver powers including UP. Both can be ordered with a variety of ventings. My question is what considerations apply to deciding between these two custom couplings? SlimTip coupling modularity seems an advantage, other things being equal.

That’s pretty much the consideration. Easier/cheaper to replace a broken receiver with a slimtip. A hollow slim tip may also be less occluding for someone with good low frequency hearing. But often the fit of a cShell may be a bit nicer, because they aren’t limited by the shape of the receiver.

1 Like

Thanks, @Neville. My current amateur theory applicable to my own hearing issues is that more occluding is better. I may stick with Power Domes, so my interest is contingent on that not working as I hope.

Yup, so long as you can tolerate any own-voice issues your theory is sound. The power domes do work really well for some people. Some people have a nice round average-sized ear into which the power domes fit snugly and comfortably without buckling or gapping or sliding out. If the feedback measure is pretty much up at the limits of the receiver and the low frequencies are meeting targets, a custom tip won’t necessarily improve anything.

1 Like

After Target’s Feedback and real ear test, the feedback threshold is nowhere near the limits of the receiver at high frequencies; it breaks away in the vicinity of 3 kHz and heads steadily lower. :frowning_face:

Heh. So then the power dome is not a perfect fit, but as long as you still have some headroom there you’re fine. Plus, the venting resulting from an imperfect fit might help with occlusion anyway.

Audeo M SlimTips are a mess
The new SlimTip link which holds the receiver adds a lot of length to the design and we’ve had lots of trouble with shells cracking when inserting receivers.
Save yourself the headache and ask for cShells, the fit is much better and the sound will be much more consistent than domes.

2 Likes

Thanks, @bigaltavista; noted. I just de-vented the cShell I have and it’s now a lot more occlusive than the (pre-Marvel) Power Dome in the other ear.

1 Like