Phonak Compilot ii Using for programming

I have purchased Phonak Audeo 70 bi-cross system with aid (45 day period to return), but so far satisfied after few days and expect to purchase. Currently using the general setup automatic music, speech, crowd noise, etc .Due back for more specific fitting in about a week. I have two questions and would appreciate any opinions:

• anyone with exp. what is your preference? Using the auto programming and buttons for volume, or instead of auto settings, having special settings (volume, hi/mid/lo EQ, compression) programmed by audiologist and selecting via buttons? If I understand manual correctly audiologist can set up to 16 diff programs.
  • I am considering purchasing the the compilot ii. I realize it has many streaming features for tv, ipod, cell phone etc. but my main purpose would be to program EQ low,mid,hi, volume and other basic hearing aid settings and would not likely use the compilot for the other streaming features. Do you feel the compilot and the Phonak app are worth the purchase $263 for my more basic programming or better to keep the $ to spend on audiologist visits for programming I would be doing?
    Thanks for your advice.

I have had my Phonak aids for almost four years. I am still very happy with them. At first, I had several of the different “modes” programmed and would step through them with the button on the right aid. I could also select the mode with the Compilot. As I used the aids, I found that the “general” auto mode was best in almost every situation. With it just set to auto, I don’t have to think about anything, just wear the aids.

I enjoy my compilot. I have the TV base set up at work. I also have very low vision so I have the option of using Zoomtext text to speech software on my computer and feeding it to the TVlink and then to the compilot around my neck and then to my hearing aids. It works very well. Most of the time, I feed music or news from my iphone into the tvlink. I can change the volume with the + and - buttons on the compilot and even stop the feed completely by toggling it on and off with the large center button. That way I can place my full attention to a phone call or someone in my office.

Jeff

The added programs depend on life style mostly. The equalizer need is eliminated by adding a streaming option set to your prescription. If you have trouble hearing person in the backseat, you might choose that. Noise is one that you can customize. Programs are really situations where you feel the automatic programs isn’t what you are looking for. Programs are situational and used when an environment is as helpful. As mentioned, many find they seldom need anything but the automatic.

Lately, I’ve had the fitter move the current #1 (auto) down to #2 when getting an adjustment and I compare just what improvement was garnered.

As for an accessory, they are all pricey – just like the aids they work with. The BT device is the one that is flexible. You can avoid needing/wanting the TV accessory by buying an inexpensive, low-latency transmitter on Amazon. ($30) It can also connect to cars, computers, etc. I think your Compilot can be paired with up to 8 devices.