Phonak Comfort in Echo, manual program?

The charger for the Roger On can be set up to also be a tv connector. Since my husband and I both have the Paradise P90, we both are paired to the On and therefore also to the tv connector.

2 Likes

The presenter mode is also helpful if you have to understand someone who is a soft speaker. Hand it on them, and now you can hear/understand them.

1 Like

Why hasn’t this worked for you? It should be very straightforward: point … then HEAR? That is exactly what I was going to try to replace my TV Connector. Just point the Roger at my TV speakers and HEAR.

1 Like

TBH @1Bluejay, pointer mode just sucks, it is a very poor cousin in comparison to table mode! For instance, tonight I was out for a meal in a fairly busy bar, I am over in Northern Ireland for a few days holiday, near Belfast, there are 8 of us, and the noise my lot make is quite deafening, suffice to say they are loud! So, I employed the use of my Roger On V1, it does make a significant difference, I am not going to catch everything, but it does greatly improve my overall listening experience, what I did noticed tonight on several occasions was going from table mode, to pointing mode, when I picked up the Roger On, it went from fairly crisp, to almost unintelligible speech instantly, and it is woeful in comparison to table mode, IMO pointing mode just doesn’t cut it! Lanyard mode is also fine! Perhaps, the newer Roger On V2 might have a better version of pointing mode, I plan to buy one later, once I have acquired the new Naida Lumity UP’s sometime In October… As always YMMV, cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

@kevels55

I vice chaired a meeting tonight, with my properly programmed Paradise p90’s and the Roger On.

To be honest, the Roger On worked ok as I could switch off the noisy guy to my left, but the best setting I found was without the Roger On at all.

So I just used the P90s, and it was the “Comfort in Echo” setting, with some alterations in the app, that gave best results:

1. Volume - Increase the volume to 75%
  2. Noise Reduction - Fully left, low
  3. Speech focus - Slide the mics to omnidirectional (fully left), otherwise I can’t hear the Chairman sat to my side
  4. Dynamic - Increase soft sounds over loud (fully right).

Conversely, in this environment, my self progammed Marvels worked badly, I’ll sort those at a later date.

Tomorrow, I have my final fit on the paradise, and will not touch a thing on the main programming.

What I will ask to be done is:

1. Keep Music, Comfort in Echo as selectable programs, but make the above changes permanent for the latter.
  2. Change both “streaming + mic” settings, to help me hear speech while streaming. The defaults are not good. My wife sits to my side, but the defaults are set for straight ahead, and also for comfort, so speech recognition drops again.
2 Likes

@1Bluejay

Pointer mode on the Roger On is definitely no replacement for the TV Connector. It would be mono only, and the sound quality nowhere near. Other than connecting via the base unit, the best Roger On mode for TV (I did this on holiday as I couldn’t get to the sockets on the rear of the TV), is table mode with the Roger On placed under the TV’s speakers.

1 Like
  1. streaming + mic, the mic is just on. There’s not any of this zooming to left or right or even forward.

Only option is turn off attenuation.

3 Likes

Pointing mode and TV mode for the Roger On is very very different.

1 Like

@Zebras

Ah yes. What I meant was in Roger + mic

1 Like

Well that was a very helpful insight of using Roger in day-to-day life! I guess I’ve traded in pub life for quieter evenings watching TV, LOL!

With other comments posted, it seems that Roger’s POINT mode is pretty lame overall. TABLE mode may have a chance, if I put the device right by the TV speakers, but I’m getting the bigger picture here that this device is probably not going to replace the TV Connector as I’d planned.

Much appreciate your thoughts here… I’ll have more to report after seeing my audi and the Phonak rep today. :slight_smile:

AUGH!!! So that’s what it is. MONO? Lame. I guess I’ll have a better idea after seeing my audi and the Phonak rep today … but it’s not looking good for my using the Roger to replace that ol’ TV Connector.

You also bring up a point that is SO NEAR and DEAR to my HEART and EARS: TVs - pretty much everywhere now, never have easy access to the backs of them where these stoooopid TV Connectors plug in. So I grab a flashlight, put my magnifying glasses on, contort myself into a painful position, squint, invent a cussword (or TWO) and try to figure out where the cables get plugged in to the TV. And that’s when I’m away from home!

At home, we have only AppleTV units mounted on the wall. NO way to get to the backs of them. So my TV Connector has to be plugged in to an older Marantz hifi receiver.

By contrast, I can pair + connect to my laptop and watch anything with NO TV Connector and NO streaming issues either. “Something is rotten in the state of Denmark” as the bard said … and I just can’t figure out how to make things right.

1 Like

Sounds like you nailed it! I’ll find out when I pick up a Roger loaner today. Not looking good for this device replacing my TV Connector.

Probably the only way to replace tv connector with Roger On is hard-wired in the same way as tv connector.

1 Like

I thought the proper way to connect the Roger ON to your TV was to connect it to the docking station using the power supply and enclosed toslink wire…Is this what you are referring to as hard wired.

I have my Roger ON connected to my TV and whenever I want to listen in I just insert it into the Docking Station without even turning on the Roger ON first.

I have two Docks and found one required considerable volume adjustment (part of the Dock) before it could be heard.

If it’s not “hard wired” just place it adjacent to the TV speakers after turning the Roger ON ON with the understanding that it will amplify all sounds in the adjacent area of the TV too.

You got that 100% correct! That’s what I have going on for my trial right now. Roger ON has to be plugged into audio cable to TV (or in my house, into a Marantz hifi receiver); power cord has to be plugged into wall socket.

1 Like

That is correct…

1 Like

There’s been a lot of talk about TV Connector. I don’t know about TV, but I used to use mine for the computer. Then I realized that my computer has Bluetooth and so do my hearing aids, so what do I need TV Connector for? Does anyone know if there is any advantage to the TV Connector over just connecting the hearing aids to the computer? The sound seems to be just as good, but it’s hard to compare.

Battery life from what I’ve figured out. Bluetooth uses much more HA battery.

The TV Connector also stops transmitting when no one speaks and can take a while to start transmitting again when someone speaks so you miss the first part.

If you don’t use Teams or Zoom, then I guess no issue with this.

3 Likes

The main difference is the lip sync and battery life, the lag is very noticeable on some devices.

1 Like

Is the TV Connector better for lip sync or Bluetooth?

@tenkan