Phonak Bolero B90's versus Audeo B90's

I am at a bit of a quandary. I am testing new Phonak Audeo B90’s with RIC and I really do like them, but I am also offered 2nd hand Bolero B90’s with standard hook BTE’s. The difference between 3200€ (1800€ after tax reduction) and 320€ is rather significant. As I have been programming aids a rather long time, I am wondering whether I shouldn’t make the jump to do the whole thing myself.

I have trouble finding out whether I have to get a whole new housing or that I only have to replace the top to install a slimwire with a custom mold tip. Does anyone know what I would need and if at all possible where to get it? Answered by @Zebras

Second question is about the difference between BTE and RIC. I have always worn BTE’s, but I do like the testing I have done with RIC’s (Phonak Naida V70’s, Phonak Audeo B90’s, Resound Verso 90’s, Oticon Nera 2’s and Oticon OPN 1’s.) Can I expect a comparable quality from a slimtube that I can expect from the RIC’s?

Last question: The B90’s that are put up for sale are SP’s. I only have a moderate-severe hearing loss. Will those be good for my hearing loss?

You won’t have to replace the housing, just take the ear hook off and replace with slim tubes.

I’ve always been told that BTE are more robust over the RIC.

Thanks for replying @Zebras!

They told me the same when I bought my Bernafon Cronos 9’s five years ago: They died on me three months after the 5 year warrenty :(.
However, robustness isn’t what I am that interested in for the moment. :slight_smile:
I am wondering how the sound quality compares.

So those groves at the end of the slimtube go directly into the housing? Great!

Another question that arose: Can I get custom molds for those slim tubes?

Last question: The B90’s that are put up for sale are SP’s. I only have a moderate-severe hearing loss. Will those be good for my hearing loss? Phonak Target’s description states it’s for moderate to severe hearing loss: So that’s me. I remember the audician saying that we might have to go the heavier recievers in the Phonak Audeo RIC’s.

My friend wears the Bolero SP and has a mild to moderate loss.

Thanks @Zebras.

I read your post literally minutes before I saw that they wanted to sell them to me. Gave me the right nudge.

Also the fact that if I sell the equipment from a big city, I probably get a better price, does make it a low risk buy.

1 Like

Bought the Bolero SP B90’s +microphone+dry box+TV Link 2+ComPilot 2 for 320€. Spent another 50€ on slim tubes and domes.

So the question was whether I would be hearing well for 370€?

I do.
Highlights: I hear better than my partner in a rowdy beach restaurant. I hear the whole conversation while my daughter is riding her bicycle next to me. I can finally(!) play the piano with hearing aids in.*

Further testing is of course needed – isn’t it always :slight_smile: – However, at this point for me they out perform Phonak Audeo B90’s, Phonak Naida V70’s, Oticon Nera 2’s, Oticon OPN 1’s and ReSound Verso 9’s.**

Next thing to do is to try and make my own earmolds from epoxy resin!

*Power domes allow both the automatic program and any special music program. Closed domes (with 2 vents(!), go figure that) only allow for non-distorted piano with whistle block set to 0 and preferably minus 4 to 6dB over the entire range.
**All RIC with 85dB speakers.

1 Like