Phonak Audeo & Smart IX - DuoPhone

I have been reading about Phonak DuoPhone on Audeo S IX and would like to know if this is an automatic feature or is is it one of the manual programs? With DuoPhone both HA’s communicate so that you can hear a voice on the phone in both ears. Phonak says “as soon as you hold the headset to your ear, Speech clarity is impressive and background noise is reduced”. Does anyone know how this is implemente…automatic or manual?

I believe it is a manual program. I have it set as the 2nd program on my Audeo Smart IXs. To activate I either press the button on the HA that I will hold up the phone to, or use the MyPilot remote to switch to the program.

I haven’t used it at all since I am picking up a lot of background noise and it is difficult to hear people on the phone. I have a meeting next week to try and tweak this feature. For now I get better results by switching my Plantronics headset at work to an over the ear adapter.

You can have it put in the “Easyphone” slot and it will automatically activate, but only on handsets with a strong magnetic field or on which you fit an additional magnet. Easy enough with many home phones, but not appropriate if you are forever answering different phones at work, if you don’t want a magnet taped/glued onto your phone or if your phone hangs up on the wall where it will no longer fit with the magnet on it. Other than Easyphone (which can only be activated by magnet) then it will take up a program slot.

If you will usually be using a phone with a strong enough magnet and it’s only very occasional that you’d ever use any other phone then you may find that using Zoomcontrol gives you close enough to the same function, as you are still getting a signal beamed over from the other ear to try to duplicate the sound a bit, it’s slightly less strong than Duophone, but if you are using Zoomcontrol anyway then at least you don’t need take up one of your program slots with Duophone just for occasional use of another phone.

Since DuoPhone is manual and will take up one of the program slots maybe I don’t need it. I already have slots #1 & #2 set for StereoZoom and ZoomControl, which were recommended by my audi. I’ve read about programs for calm situations, speech in noise and music. Are there any other program options in addition to the 6 listed above?

Here is my audiogram:
0250 - R50…L55
0500 - R50…L55
1000 - R45…L65
2000 - R65…L65
3000 - R68…L70
4000 - R70…L85
5000 - R75…L75
6000 - R80…L70

As RoseRodent said, the Easyphone can be used for automatic control. I have not had good luck with Easyphone but others have.

I believe you have up to 5 manual program slots with 9 choices to put in those 5 spots. The possibilities are 1. calm situations 2. speech in noise 3. calm in noise 4. music 5. acoustic telephone 6. T-coil 7. T-coil and mic 8. zoom control 9. mute

The Duo Phone is part of the T-coil program which can be set up manually or automatically in Easyphone. The background noise you mentioned can be tuned as needed to correct.

There are many members here who are much smarter about this than I. Maybe one of them will chime in to give more help. If you do a search for duo phone you will get more info. There have been long discussions on it.

Good luck

Audeo’s don’t have t-coils but you can implement DuoPhone with Acoustic Phone. I have it set up that way on my Naida’s and find it works pretty well. It’s set up as manual in one of the program slots…I’m going to talk to my audie about the auto feature next time I see her. I don’t know if my phone will trigger it, tho. If you set it up in slot two you can select it quickly when the phone rings.