Phonak Audeo P90-R - During a call, listener complains noisy ambient

I’ve been using Phonak Naida B90 for over 5 years with ComPilot2 and Remote Mic and I’m very satisfied.
I have been trying Phonak Audeo P90-R and the results are quite good.
However, during calls in noisy environments (TV on, other people talking, moving metallic objects, being in an echoing space) all people complain about the ambient noise which, they say, is louder than my voice and they cannot understand the what am i saying
With ComPilot 2, if the environment was too noisy, by long pressing the - key, the ambient sound would disappear.
How to get the same result in Audeo 90-R?

Pressing the minus-key muted the microphones on your hearing aids: So the only input is from the audiostream. The same can be done on my Marvel Audeo 90’s by holding the bottom of the HA toggle. (Short press is lower volume, holding is mute, holding on after that is shut down.)

IIRC, the microphone of the ComPilot would still work and that would improve the sound. With the P90’s and M90’s that would have to be the microphone of the mobile phone, as you’ve just disabled those of the HA’s. It’s worth a try.

Because people have complained about understanding me since I got the Audeo M90’s, too, I usually try to remove my mobile from my pocket to reduce the noise. I always thought it was odd, that the microphone is still on, while I am speaking through my HA’s. Maybe disabling the microphone of the HA is a better workaround. I will have to try.

Anyone else have a better/working solution?

1 Like

Doesn’t the (-) button on the ComPilot get rid of the noise for you BUT not for the caller?

Unfortunately the issue with callers, not being able to hear you is a known issue and that’s because the Microphone that is picking up your voice is in fact, behind the ear and really far away from your mouth.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion, but during the call it is not possible to turn off the mics. And there’s no “Compilot” between the mics and the phone.

I also think this is the source of the problem.
The mic has to be very sensitive to pick up the caller’s voice, so it picks up and amplifies also all the noise around the caller.
I wonder if someone knows an workaround like a “ComPilot” to fix the problem. Maybe a Roger device or so.

The Roger iN devices which work with Marvel / Paradise Aids don’t have Bluetooth so you would have to connect the Roger with a cable to your phone/cell.

Reason why they don’t have Bluetooth is, because when the Bluetooth is turned on, on older Roger’s, it makes the Aids go crazy and stop work properly.

I’m in the same boat. I’m a long time Phonak user and use my Com Pilot several hours a day for work calls. I’m getting ready to trial the Paradise Life but am very concerned about this issue.

The audio cable for the Roger On will feed what is fed by the audio cable into the Roger, into your ears like headphones, It doesn’t work the other way, I don’t think. Have you tried it?

WH

I’ve tried it. You have to speak into your mobile microphone so you have to hold the Roger (as cable so short) and mobile quite close to your mouth. Makes it quite awkward.

Target SW says Roger Pen is compatible with P90-R and can be connected with a phone by BT. Have you tried it?

What makes me dubious is that my Roger cable doesn’t have a microphone (headset type) cable configuration, just headphone type. The plug has three bands on it for connections. Headsets have four. So if it really is working, then the sound is going back in the phone port configured to be outbound headphone sound. I’m not going to say that’s impossible, it just seems unlikely. How do you know the sound picked up wasn’t form your HA microphones? (It will be seriously cool if it does work – You can easily get an extension for the audio cable!)

WH

I have no idea. It’s just what I’ve been told by

And what other people have said on the forum about how their Aids act when they try to use Bluetooth on older Pens.

It’s meant to say CANNOT rather then CAN.

@WhiteHat

Well it works with a Roger Clip On Mic and cable. I’ve used it many times. I’ve got an iPhone SE 2020.

EDIT - I don’t have Bluetooth Aids.

Pretty much all of my work calls are through some form of app (e.g. Teams). Could I just connect a Roger Select to my laptop via Bluetooth and use the mic on the Roger Select for “hands free” calls?

@pianoman

As already stated, the Bluetooth on the Select and Pen will make the Marvel and Paradise Aids go haywire and not work.

That’s why there is no Bluetooth on the Select iN or Pen iN that is suitable for Marvel and Paradise Aids.

You can try it but it won’t work at all whiles the Bluetooth is turned on. As soon as Bluetooth is turned off, the Aids start behaving again.

Look up on this forum about it. Many people have spoken about it.

My apologies for the silence on this topic, but I’ve been doing some tests, with the following results:

1. I have found that by reducing the distance between my mouth and the HA microphone, the sound of my voice improves substantially and the ambient sound is reduced.
  2. To make it shorter, I moved the Ha forward, staying on top of the ear.
  3. When talking in a place with echo, doing point 2, the echo disappears…
  4. “Shorten the receiver” - I just bought myself a set of new receivers - 2P - to replace the 3P. There is some improvement but not very significant.
  5. I will suggest the following idea to Phonak programmers - If it is possible to program the mic to pick up the sound, depending on the type of environmental situation, then in “Streaming programs - Phone call + mic”, the microphone should be oriented towards the mouth , reducing the sound from other directions.
    Only the HA mic that is defined as Bluetooth side should be active and the sound captured would be delivered to the mobile phone.
    It doesn’t hurt to send an email to Phonak and see if there is any response…
    Or am I being naive???

No. Sending emails indeed doesn’t hurt. Nor does posting on online forums.

Thanks for the comments here.
I had Phonak B70’s and used a Compilot 2 on them. I have remote microphones for that device.

My Audeo Paradise P90R’s are an improvement. However, it’s a difficult path optomizing them. That’s whyI’m looking here.