Phonak Audeo Marvel: Adjust bass and treble in music streaming mode

I am trying out the Phonak Audeo Marvel and enjoy the direct streaming of music to my ears from my iphone. I am frustrated that I am not able to make any adjustment for bass or treble. Is this possible to do? The only adjustment I can see in the streaming mode is volume and balance.

1 Like

You can change the volume and you can also change the streaming vs outside noise effect. You don’t have access in “Streaming Mode” like you can with other modes to the bass/trebel, noise, voice, etc. controls. That said, I believe you can have your audiologist adjust the bass/treble using his/her specific software controls.

2 Likes

No, unfortunately not. I think Phonak is already aware of that complaint.

Current work-arounds are: 1) your audiologist can adjust it for you in the hearing aid, 2) I believe (but cannot give precise info) that there are apps that exist that will apply an equalizer to whatever music you are streaming.

1 Like

I use one of the free equalizer apps , like VOX or Jet Audio, when streaming from iPhone to Marvel. Works great and lots of possible adjustment.

2 Likes

It’s likely you can adjust, not just bass and treble, but many equalizer bands in your phone. On my phone, I have a 10-band EQ in my app that plays my music collection (Power Amp). I have a different EQ preset for my BT HAs than I do for a great set of studio over-the-ear headphones. When my hearing aides are on, and I play music with that app, the EQ preset is automatically selected and the music goes to the hearing aids. These are common features for a good music player app. When my HAs are off, an I plug in my headphones, my headphones EQ present is automatically selected and the music sounds great in my headphones.
I also have a 9-band EQ in my phone settings that will adjust all other audio that does not come from my music player app (great for setting eq for YouTube, etc).
(I have a Samsung Note9 with Android 9)

1 Like

My Android does this, but many-click. Lessee… Media, music player, LiveDead. While playing, at top is a ||| icon for sound settings. Volume and Equalizer. Capture eq

Here’s instructions with pictures for iPhone: How do you customize your music’s sound with your iPhone

Yes, mine gives six “stock settings” and a custom with 10 sliders. If you only want bass/treble tweaks this seems a bit much. Push several adjacent sliders up/down and see what you hear. Do NOT try heavy boost in bass (32 and 64) because few aids can handle it (and much of that may leak out of your ear).

1 Like

Thank you for all the great responses! I’ve gone into the Iphone and made the adjustments suggested and also downloaded Vox. I’ll let you know if that helps. It is surprising to me that Phonak did not include that in their product. Overall I am fairly pleased with the HA’s, but would like to hear what other users think of them.

For Bluetooth audio streams, it makes sense that you would not adjust that in the Phonak app, but at the Bluetooth source (the phone audio settings) or at the music source (the music player app). Also, it makes sense that a full 10-band EQ with a high gain range (like you find in phone or music app settings) is NOT included in the Phonak app, because if it were, you could really screw up your prescription.

1 Like

I have the same problem (streaming has far too much treble), for my Phonak Audéos. I do have Target software/Noah Wireless, but I don’t think I can correct this problem there (?). Indeed, for my Android phone I use its equalizer (completely cutting out all higher freqs), but TV-streaming (using a standard BT device) is a bit more complicated. I ended up linking a cheap (20 USD Lepy) amplifier between them, with the treble dial completely down.

Hi, I wear the Marvel 30s and I really like them! For music I have found in order to get the best sound quality to first play music or streaming then go to the app and lower the volume bar all the way down like so (it’s not currently on Bluetooth for me but same idea) then go to the little adjustment for background/audio balance and put it all the way onto streaming. After that go out of the app and turn the volume on the actual hearing aids to the lowest level finally use your phones volume to adjust the sound. This is what works best for me I have an IPhone running iOS 13.7 and I also am able to adjust the sound EQ in settings.

Can you still hear the music with volume all the way down?

I’ve never tried your way to get better streaming etc.

1 Like

Yes, pushing down the volume on the app to -5 still allows me to hear the stream- but it does not change the treble (I believe)… Meanwhile I ordered a USD 25 GHXAMP 7-segment Equalizer from AliExpress. That should allow me to control the TV audio more precisely, I hope.

Yes, you can!
It’s under

Use the handles in Gain & MPO to increase the gain for the lower frequencies only.
Make sure they are more or less the same for speech and music.
AutoSense tries to detect whether you are streaming music or spoken word. Sometimes it switches between the two programs accidentally.

1 Like

Good to see you posting again Ruth… Take care, cheers Kev :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks, will try this and let you know!

1 Like

This is the reason that I returned my Phonak life hearing aids. The Phonak adjustable high-end features don’t work in the streaming and TV modes.

Yes, I just adjust the volume up on my phone

As sterei pointed out above, one can actually adjust the gain per frequency (range) specifically for the media streaming program (and leave everything else the same) in Target- this amounts to setting treble and bass in your audio stream.

In order to adjust your wonderful Phonaks precisely to your needs you either need to live under one roof with your audiologist, or get your hands on its fitware (Target)…

1 Like