Phonak Audeo Lumity Life L90: Any way to make microphones default to "Off"?

Can anybody describe a way for my audiologist to make it so that, no matter what program is selected, my Phonak Audeo Lumity Life L90’s will have the microphones turned off until I turn them on via the app?

Right now, I am repeatedly having to open the app and turn them off.

Yeah, it may sound weird- but my use case is that I only need microphones on when conversing with someone, which is an infrequent occurrance. The rest of the time, I use the aids to listen to TV via the Phonak streaming device.

Also, I spend a good bit of time cycling and, between the wind noiise, sounds from helmet straps or whatever brushing against the aids, and the fact that I am not that deaf, my situational awareness is significantly better with the microphones off.

So, bottom line: is there something I can suggest to the audiologist to accomplish this? I am hoping for some sort of global variable…

It is possible to set the Phonak Target to reduce the volume of your hearing aid microphone while streaming audio by up to 10 dB.

1 Like

Why not program the aids so you can mute the mics using the button on the aids themselves.
That’s what I do to my Audibel aids.
Just trialed Genesis aids.
Had then set up the same way.
Didn’t have to fool with the phone.

3 Likes

I confirm your audi can configure a long press of the “-” button to Mic Mute.

4 Likes

Hi, Sorry; this is a little off-topic. But since we’re discussing options to turn the HA mic off, I thought I’d ask. I use Phonak Lumity HA’s. Is there any way to use the Bluetooth phone call functionality without using the HA microphones? I mean, would it be possible to use the microphone on the cell phone instead of the HA’s mics while answering phone calls. I ask because I live & work in India & things are never ‘quiet’ here. I have a hard time answering the phone using the Bluetooth option in the HA’s. Whenever I use the Bluetooth calling functionality, the person on the other side has a hard time hearing me due to all the surrounding noise picked up by the HA mics. So is there some way to turn this off & route my audio through the phone’s mic?

The other option I’m told, is to hold the phone just above my HA’s mics. But this is a hassle, as the conversation can be heard by someone nearby. Plus it looks weird too. Right now, if I have to answer a phone call with my HA’ on, I have to run over to a spot (room) that’s really quiet & turn on the speaker mode. This is really difficult, especially in a corporate/office atmosphere. Any ideas?

TIA.

Unfortunately not. It’s a downside to Phonak.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply @Zebras. I was afraid of that. I hope Phonak brings out some kind of a solution for this issue. It’s a pain having to use the speaker phone in crowded public places. :frowning:

1 Like

@Heyjo

One thing that I found helps is selecting voice isolation on an iPhone. Not sure about Android.

1 Like

Can somebody cite the menu heirarchy to get to “Voice Isolation”?

You can only access the menu when on a call and it’s swipe up or down depending on what iPhone you have.

@confirm

1 Like

Samsung has something similar called Voice Focus. You have to be on a call to activate. I’m not sure if it works when connected to hearing aids, though.

2 Likes

I couldn’t find anything similar on my Android Motorola. Anyway, I’ve given up & completely turned off the Bluetooth phone call feature. Nowadays, I attend calls using either the speaker mode or by holding the phone slightly above my HA’s, behind my ear. I do wonder if Phonak actually believes all users of its HA’s live & work in calm, serene environments all the time !! :confused:

This does seem to be a problem that Phonak has not addressed. I have used Oticon for a number of years and found the Bluetooth connection for phone calls really useful. I am looking at turning to Phonak Lumity now but this is one issue that concerns me with Phonak.

2 Likes

Can you give me more information as how “voice Isolation” works?
I never heard of it before and would like to try it. Does it work in connection with Bluetooth? What exactly does it do? Thank you.

It’s ironic but the system reverses the problem of hearing in noise to normal hearing people. Assuming the person on the other end of the phone has normal hearing, they can’t hear the caller for the background noise!!

A hearing aid company has effectively imposed the age old problem hard of hearing people deal with, onto normal hearing folk!!

Phonak, if you are listening, you should be able to do better on this issue!

1 Like

:rofl:

Yes !!! They could at least give us the option to manually switch between the mics, depending on our surroundings (similar to switching between speaker & phone output during calls.) :man_shrugging:

Phonak doesnt allow you to mute environmental sounds when using the phone program. Im guessing they think if the environment is too loud for you it is also too loud for your caller. On Android you can easily switch back to handset mode (holding phone to ear) if it is too loud.

1 Like

Yes, I used to do that. But it becomes a hassle as the call gets automatically routed to bluetooth & then has to be manually switched to the speaker/phone (with the 3 beeps in between). A few times, switching even messed up my bluetooth connection. So now, I’ve turned the bluetooth functionality off altogether.

How do you switch back to handset mode on Android?

While in the call when you’re HA’s are connected through bluetooth, there will be an option (button for a drop down type menu) to switch the output to phone or speaker. Look for the bluetooth icon/symbol on the calling screen while in a call.