Phonak Audeo Lumity 90 really is better than the Phonak Paradise 90

I have had my Costco signature 10 (modified Phonak Paradise 90) for a couple of years and found that my word recognition had gotten far worse. I went to my audiologist and she suggested that I try the Phonak audeo lumity 90, which has advertised itself for better word recognition and better in noisy environments. I got my upgrade 3 days ago and found that the new Phonak 90 really was better at word recognition and a bit better at noise reduction. My Costco hearing aids was unable to use some of the accessories that Phonak offered, specifically the Roger Select microphone to our family weekly dinner I brought along a new Roger Select and placed it in the middle of the dining room table. What a surprise! There was music playing in the house but that was in the softer background while five other people ate together and I could hear everything around the table. The Roger Select picked up comments made between a couple of people and could bring the words to me clearly from everyone at the table. Quite a change for me. What I did not like about the Select was that the conversations were louder than I had wished and sounded what I will describe as “tinny.” What I mean is that it had a mechanical sound, the type of sound earlier radio and tv stations used. It wasn’t the actual tone of the talk but that all talk, including my own, went through a mechanical microphone.

Still, it was better. A few years ago my son was with us at a very noisy restaurant and I could not hear much. When my deafness came up in the table conversation, my son asked me if I really could not hear the general talk around our table. I told him that I could only understand a small amount, but would follow the general reactions of the people at our table. In other words, when everyone laughed, I also laughed. But the truth was that I could understand only part of the conversation. My new Phonak lumity 90 hearing aids paired with a Phonak select could hear all of tonight’s conversations.

Is the Phonak lumity 90 is better than the Phonak 90? My answer is “yes.” Is it worth the $6,000 it would likely cost? That depends on each person’s own needs and budget.

Thanks. For reading,

Ed

6 Likes

Thanks for your post.

I’ve had Phonak Audeo Paradise P90’s for about 2 years. It’s been terrible until I found a new hearing aid provider who set them up properly.
I appreciate your comments. I’m glad the Lumity series is working better for you.

(My lesson is that the person that sets them up is more important than my hearing aids. My hearing aids were awful until I switched.) (My wife used to say the audiologist didn’t know what he was doing. My hearing aids didn’t work.)

DaveL

1 Like

Thanks for your reply. I am glad that you got it fixed.

1 Like

Pretty sure both the KS9 and KS10 can use Roger devices but Costco won’t help you with them. One needs to either DIY or find somebody to help set them up.

1 Like