Phonak app too noisy

Just got my new Phonak Lumity Slim L 70 and use it with the app on my iPhone 13. Consider to return it because of all too many beeps from the app,
many of them triggered for no apparent reason. On my iPhone, I have turned off all beeps, but that is ignored by the Phonak app. On top, all of the sudden, I get those beeps without having touched any BT-device or having received any mails or notifications from iPhone apps. Can’t find a way to turn this nuisance off.
Are all HA apps that way? Is there any that allows better control?
Considering to switch from Phonak to Signia Styletto, does anyone have issues with that app?
Appreciate your feedback, thank you.

@Butz
This is not a problem with the HAs, but with the phone.
Note that any short sound will cause the phone to redirect this sound to establish a Bluetooth connection. The connection remains activated for several seconds, even after a very short sound like keyboard clicks.
You need to figure out these reasons so you can disable them in the phone.

There is only one thing the MyPhonak app does: if you have “Stay Connected” enabled in the app, the app will notify you with a 4-tone sound when you leave or return to the Bluetooth range. For this reason, you should deactivate “Stay connected”.

2 Likes

The beeps should be coming from the conventional bluetooth connection, not from the app. One option is to disconnect it from bluetooth while remaining connected to the app, but this will mean you can’t stream audio or phone calls. If you want to remain connected via bluetooth, the best workaround I’ve found for this is to keep the phone on silent.

Thank you for your suggestion, trying them now. With my previous HA Oticon, I never encountered any problem with beeps, so I think the culprit is not just the iPhone. I’m curious whether the Signia app will cause similar problems. Anyone here cares to respond?

Thank you for your suggestion, will keep the phone on Silent and see what happens. Question remains why there should be a beep when there is no other BT device around and the iPhone is inactive?

I had my HA turn off all the notification sounds except for the power on and off sounds.

1 Like

I get a beep when i get a notification on the phone. I have notifications on just a couple of apps. Ive never gotten notifications from the phonak app. But, if you are thinking it is from the phonak app, turn notifications off on that app.

Notifications are easy to manage on Android. I have no idea about iphone.

2 Likes

On iPhone, the Phonak app does not offer the option to turn notifications off. Phonak is not listed as “made or iPhone hearing aid” so options other than in the app itself are nil.

You need to go into the iPhone notifications menu and then Siri suggestions.

1 Like

Yes, notifications can be turned off as you
suggested. Didn’t consider this as all notifications are always disabled on my iPhone but the beeping problem came up anyhow and persists.

Did you deactivate the “Stay connected” option in the myPhonak app?

Yes, I turned off “Stay connected” and switched phone to silent mode and that made a difference to some degree. No longer beeps for no apparent reason, but still beeps when getting phone calls and when finshing them, beeps when sending or receiving mails and beeps from outdoor camera notification. These beeps are quite loud and are sent by the app. My previous Oticon app did not have this problem and notifications came only from the phone where I could modify them.

I still don’t think the beeps come from the app.
The phone just diverts the sounds to the “connected” bluetooth device instead of the phone’s loudspeaker.

I don’t think they come from the app. You can delete the app to check though and re-install.

It sounds like some of them might actually be heading aids indicators. The hearing aids have a ring tone when calls come in, and will give the automatic program tone whenever they switch back to the automatic program (like after hanging up a call or flipping in and out of streaming). You can have the provider turn them down or off.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback

Appreciate your thougths - deleting the app would indeed be a crucial test. However, whatever is causing those loud beeps doesn’t matter to me anylonger as I will return my Phonak slims.

Fair enough. Sometimes it’s easiest to stick with what you are used to.