Phonak announces ActiveVent receiver and CROS Paradise

I’ve got the ActiveVent receivers and they’re a mixed bag. Pro: it’s awesome to hear bass in streaming. Cons: the click is very annoying and happens a LOT. You can’t manually disable the vent closure. Expensive if you need to replace them every 6 months (I assume $200+ per pair). Extra cost for titanium slim tips (assume $200+ per pair)

E

1 Like

How were they set for better bass? That’s the one area I’ve lost in going to ActiveVents. Thanks for any help.

Thanks for letting us all know this, I’ve been wondering about whether they’ll be a game-changer or just another also-ran.

For bass, it helps to boost the low frequencies in Target (the programming software). Doing this with an open fitting is pretty worthless, as the bass leaks out the vents.

You also have to have a good seal on the domes (they should act like a power dome when the vent is closed.). Effectively, the closed vent IS a power dome; the open vent is an open fitting.

They are a great idea; but I think the drawbacks are substantial - mainly cost and inability to lock the aids with vent open. Fixing the latter could be done through the myPhonak app or perhaps with some alternate use of the hard buttons. I’m guessing that Phonak will eventually get this right.

1 Like

Anyone have any experience with this receiver? Does it work or is it just a nifty looking gimmick? Can you over ride it–turn it on and off or are you without control?

Mark, I’ve had mine for the past 2 months (minus the time I had to send one of them back to Phonak with a broken receiver wire) and I will say that overall the quality of sound is much better compare to my custom molds with a standard receiver. The clicking is something my brain is getting used to but not quite there yet. There is no user setting to put them in a vent/no vent environment at this point. AutoSense OS is quite good at determining the proper configuration. I do think that this technology is a beginning step for Phonak and I think we will see improvements in the future.

2 Likes

@dbmtx What is the cost if you don’t mind my asking?

1 Like

How does it work with the replacements? Do you just keep using Activevent receivers as long as they work and then order replacements when they stop working and wait (without HAs) new receivers or do you order new receivers in advance?

I was supposed to get my Activevents already in November but I’m so waiting for them.

I just got a new set set of hearing aids from the VA yesterday. I got the Audeo P and CROS P and so far am very happy with them. This is the 3rd set of CROS aids I have had. I had the 1st gen Phonak CROS, then the Audeo B CROS and now the Paradise. I love the direct connect to my phone without the Com Pilot. The TV connector is backordered for 2 weeks or so. I paired my new aids to the TV Link II which is just a Bluetooth transmitter. Wonder how much it will hurt my battery life? I got the new aids with the size 13 battery and not the rechargeable one.

The Active Vent looks quite big. Hopefully people are having good results with it.

They’re not as big as this picture depicts. I don’t find them any larger than a regular Phonak receiver.

2 Likes