Phonak announces ActiveVent receiver and CROS Paradise

Phonak announces ActiveVent, the world’s first intelligent hearing aid receiver, and CROS Paradise

Industry-leading Paradise hearing aid technology expands to meet more needs, including those with unilateral hearing loss

Stäfa, Switzerland, August 18, 2021 – Phonak, a leading global provider of life-changing hearing solutions, today announces ActiveVent, the world’s first intelligent hearing aid receiver and CROS P, the Paradise solution for people with unilateral hearing loss (UHL). Both ActiveVent and CROS P are the latest additions to the company’s industry-leading Paradise line of hearing aid technology, now the best-selling platform in Phonak history.

• ActiveVent™ Receiver is the world’s first hearing aid receiver that automatically opens and closes based on the listening environment. The new receiver utilizes a mechanically switching vent that intelligently balances speech clarity in noise with listening comfort(1), thus combining the hearing performance of a closed fit with the comfort of an open fit.

• CROS P is the Paradise solution for people with UHL. Along with proven Paradise performance, CROS P and Audéo P improve speech recognition in noise when speech is presented to the non-hearing ear(2)*. CROS P paired with Audéo P are easy to use, rechargeable** and feature universal Bluetooth connectivity to smartphones, TVs, laptops and more, including Roger devices.

Expanding access to unrivaled sound quality

With ActiveVent Receiver and CROS P, Phonak expands access to Paradise hearing solutions and unrivaled sound quality. ActiveVent receivers were proven to help hearing aid wearers more easily block noise, providing an average of 10% better speech clarity in noisy situations(3)*** while providing natural sound in various listening situations. ActiveVent Receiver also deliverers superior sound quality for streamed media****. Likewise, when CROS P is fitted with an Audeo P hearing aid, people with UHL can hear speech in noise and follow conversations from whatever direction they come from.(2)*

“We are thrilled to announce another world’s first with ActiveVent Receiver while extending proven Paradise technology to those with unilateral hearing with CROS P,” said Jon Billings, Vice-President Phonak Marketing. “Just one year ago we introduced Phonak Paradise with the goal of helping consumers rediscover the wonders of sound. These products represent our commitment to superior sound quality in even the most challenging listening situations—and now for virtually every form of hearing loss.”

Paradise – one year later

Introduced in August 2020, only Phonak Paradise technology offers the combination of unrivaled sound quality, universal Bluetooth connectivity with multiple Bluetooth connections, hands-free calling, and Tap Control for easy access to popular voice assistants like Siri and Google Assistant.

Over 1,000,000 Phonak Paradise hearing aids were sold in the past year despite the challenges consumers and hearing care professionals faced with the global pandemic. Among them, 90% of consumers would recommend Paradise to family or friends and 92% of providers would recommend Paradise to their peers.(4)

ActiveVent and CROS P are available as of now via licensed hearing care professionals.

For more information, please visit:
www.phonakpro.com/activevent
www.phonak.com/activevent
www.phonakpro.com/CROSparadise
www.phonak.com/CROSparadise

Source/Reference

(1) Winkler, A., Latzel, M., & Holube, I. (2016). Open Versus Closed Hearing-Aid Fittings: A Literature Review of Both Fitting Approaches. Trends in hearing, 20, 1-13. https://doi.org/10.1177/2331216516631741

(2) Stewart, E. & Woodward, J. (2021). Out of the (Head) Shadow: A Systematic Review of CROS/BiCROS Literature. The Hearing Review, 28(8), 22-25. Retrieved from Out of the [Head] Shadow: A Systematic Review of CROS/BiCROS Literature | The Hearing Review – a MEDQOR brand, August 9, 2021

(3) Latzel, M & Hobi, S (2021) Receiver with mechanical vent provides benefit of open and closed acoustics for better speech understanding in noise and naturalness of own voice perception. Phonak Field Study News in preparation. Expected end 2021

(4) Taphuntsang, D. (2020). Market Research ID 4387. Please contact marketingsight@phonak.com if you are interested in further information

* when using a CROS system compared to unaided
** there are 2 models: a rechargeable and 312 battery
*** when using a CROS system compared to unaided
**** compared to standard acoustic coupling in quiet

About Phonak
Headquartered near Zurich, Switzerland, Phonak, a member of the Sonova Group, was created in 1947 out of a passion for taking on the most difficult hearing challenges. Seventy years later, this passion remains. As the industry’s leading innovator, we offer the broadest portfolio of life-changing hearing solutions. From pediatric to profound hearing loss, we remain committed to creating hearing solutions that change people’s lives to thrive socially and emotionally. We believe in creating a world where ‘Life is on’ for everyone.

9 Likes

Thank you @rasmus_braun for this information…. Cheers Kev.

1 Like

This looks very good. My best friend has a Phonak BiCros set up at the moment. She’ll be pleased this has come out.

1 Like

The Activent MAY be the best thing since sliced bread BUT …my initial reaction is it is mechanical and possibly subject to wear and tear and breakdown! No idea. Will watch with interest.

Should be easy to replace if it breaks, I’m more concerned about the cost.

1 Like

There’s a video here on how to maintain:
https://www.phonakpro.com/com/en/products/hearing-aids/activevent/overview-activevent.html

The literature indicates that the expected useful life of an ActiveVent receiver is 6 months. I wouldn’t want to have to be getting receivers replaced every six months.

The literature also says the vent closes with a clicking sound - “A reassuring click signals to the client that the disc has changed its position.” I would likely find any clicking sounds terribly distracting.

Interesting technology, but they need to work on it a bit more so they has a life expectancy of more than 6 months. Plus, the fitting range is pretty limited as it looks like only the “M” version is available so far. I’d need a “P” version to make this a viable option. Still, pretty cool that they are working on advancing the technology in the receivers finally as receiver designs have been pretty much the same for quite a few years.

This is welcome news to me. I have Phonak BiCROS aids and would love to move up to the Paradise aids. I am going to check with the VA and see if the CROS Paradise is available. I looked at the Phonak web site and I think I would go with the battery model. Someone stated that it was size 312 but that is not correct. Phonak says it is size 13.

Can you use a Roger Select and Pen that was used with Compilot II if you upgrade to this BiCROS?

Would you be able to use this with the the clip on mic and will the nhs ever be likely to get a version of this

You need to get a Roger On iN or a Roger Select iN to transfer the licenses to the Paradise or get a Roger X (serial number of 1744 or later) and transfer the license that way with this little machine. You won’t be able to use the Bluetooth on your current Select or Pen as it stops the Marvel and Paradise Aids from working.

Yes as stated before. Any HA that uses telecoil will be able to use your MyLink and Clip on Mic.

Regarding the NHS, the NHS will eventually get it but could take months before they are handing it out.

Thanks zebras don’t know now if i should wait and see when these will pop up or ask about the oticon at my next appointment

Have you worn Phonak’s most of your life?

I tried Oticon and I couldn’t get on with them even tho they were top of the range. I’ve also worn Phonak’s most of my life.

They do sound very different but you may get on well with them.

I’ve worn phonak’s for the last 11 years started off only wearing one hearing aid in my right ear then i had a short time in between when i wore a siemens wired cros aid but shortly after getting that i got a referral to get my current wireless cros aid which is the phonak cros 2 with a nathos auto m in my right ear I might make some enquiries at my next appointment before i make any decision but the one thing i know that i really want is to be able to make use of my mylink and clip on mic i have in noisy situations as that is where i most end up feeling isolated from what is going on around me

1 Like

The video is not captioned and it seems you’ll need to see your dispenser to maintain as the tools and dexterity do not look possible for the average user.

@DrCliffAuD made a good video where he highlights some of the pitfalls like audible clicks, increased price, and 6month warranty, potential moisture and wax issues … Overall, I’m still intrigued and think this will be a positive development.

2 Likes

I agree that this is a neat idea. Quite some time ago @Um_bongo and I kidded that we should patent the idea of domes/molds with self adjusting vents. I think he had some ideas of how this might be accomplished, but I sure didn’t. I think the idea of accomplishing this through the receiver is very clever. It will be interesting to see if Costco offers this. (I’m doubtful)

1 Like

I ordered a Paradise CROS yesterday and found out today that you can’t control it with the App. They are working on it and say they expect to have the App ready in 2022. In the meantime, there are the buttons on the devices. I’m standing by my order. I need the CROS and I think the Phonax is the best bang for the buck.