Phonak Android Support for ASHA

My wife is the stock person, but she doesn’t have to manage my stocks. I just normally let them ride. I have Microsoft, Apple, and Dell stock. That was given to me for my employment with the companies. I laugh at it when I realize I get most of them when the stocks were not worth much and I forgot about them until I retired.

I’ll bet you are laughing as two of those are $1T valuation now. :grinning:

1 Like

Back when I was given the stock I thought the were not much more than a joke. I sold my Dell stock back when Dell went private. I used the money to help me move to my retirement home. So far I haven’t touch but a few of my other stocks. While working I was able to save money in iras, and other ways. And the advantage of where I live is that it is a very cheap environment to live in.

Is ASHA going to be forgotten with the arrival of Bluetooth 5.2? If/when it arrives.

why would it be forgotten?

As stated before ASHA base requirement is bluetooth 5.0 and up. Starting from Android 10 (based on the OEM) phones should have complete support for ASHA. While HA manufacturers adopting it is a completely different matter which is why I am asking the question if Phonak has any thoughts on using it in future or current bluetooth HA. Resound and Beltone already have complete support for ASHA since their parent company took the initiative to partner with Google in order to make an Open-Source Standard for HA connectivity on Android.

ASHA is the equivalent of what HA manufacturers have with Apple, making HA hence the “made for Iphone” label on many of the current HA devices.

How long since ASHA was announced? Seems like quite a while. In that time we’ve seen some Samsung phones joining the Pixels as ASHA-capable. Afaik, it’s still only some GE Resound models that they can stream to. No word from other hearing aid manufacturers on upcoming support for past or future models. I think that no-one’s interested basically.

I need compatibility with my Android phone and I have it with my Android Google Pixel. I also need compatibility with my Microsoft computers but so far I’ve seen no indication that Microsoft is interested in doing anything.

1 Like

This would be nice for a laptop.

Yes, today I use only laptops.
Microsoft Surface Go running Windows 10 Pro
Microsoft Surface Pro running Windows 10 Pro
Asus ZenBook Pro Duo i9 running Windows 10 Pro

If ASHA doesn’t work with these computers, its of no use to me.
Let’s see if Microsoft decides to support ASHA.

1 Like

it was announced in late 2018, not that long ago, especially with Android 10 just hitting the market. Resound and Beltone hearing aids both have models that support ASHA. I know it will take time for other phone and hearing aids manufacturers to adopt/integrate it in their devices.

And thats why I’m asking I personally believe that HA should adopt ASHA since it’s an open source code to provide better streaming to the hearing aids.

I think it would be really sad if the HA manufacturers would ignore it, especially if in the near future majority of android phones will support it. Pretty much showing that they don’t exactly care for the android users as much as the Iphone ones.

ASHA was made by google for mobile phones. Microsoft may adapt it for their windows devices or they themselves would need to partner with HA manufacturers to make their own version. But because of the recent embrace of open source I think MS might end up using ASHA.
I agree it would be useful on computers as well

note: this is just speculation.

Yes, but for me it’s more than useful. It’s a requirement. After all, my Marvels “already” work with my Android phone AND my Microsoft computers! :nerd_face:

They won’t support ASHA because by the time they’ve developed their ASHA solutions LE Audio will be finalised. LE Audio has a ridiculous number of advantages over ASHA and mfi. They won’t put in the resources for something that’s already obsolete.

I think the biggest limitation of even BLE is that it uses too high a frequency to go through body parts. It makes the communication unreliable unless there are a lot of hard surfaces around to reflect the signal. The real solution for hearing aids is a communication in the MHz not GHz range. There is this thing called our head and body that keeps getting in the way.

1 Like

Are you talking about communication between hearing aids here? I’ve found Bluetooth audio to be generally reliable.

Yes from phones to hearing aids, and in the case of the Marvel, from hearing aid to hearing aid too. BLE goes direct to each ear, but still has issues too.

Well, the LC3 codec in LE Audio is supposed to handle packet loss much better than current codecs. Maybe you’ll have a better experience.

Starkey’s 900MHz last generation solution has fantastic range. Like, hearing content all the way over at the neighbors house range. Unfortunately it is proprietary and dying off in favour of the standard that won’t stand still, Bluetooth.

Great post (a Golden Oldie) - relative to BT being 2.4 GHz, etc.:

Why Everything Wireless Is 2.4 GHz