Phonak Android Support for ASHA

Yes, today I use only laptops.
Microsoft Surface Go running Windows 10 Pro
Microsoft Surface Pro running Windows 10 Pro
Asus ZenBook Pro Duo i9 running Windows 10 Pro

If ASHA doesn’t work with these computers, its of no use to me.
Let’s see if Microsoft decides to support ASHA.

1 Like

it was announced in late 2018, not that long ago, especially with Android 10 just hitting the market. Resound and Beltone hearing aids both have models that support ASHA. I know it will take time for other phone and hearing aids manufacturers to adopt/integrate it in their devices.

And thats why I’m asking I personally believe that HA should adopt ASHA since it’s an open source code to provide better streaming to the hearing aids.

I think it would be really sad if the HA manufacturers would ignore it, especially if in the near future majority of android phones will support it. Pretty much showing that they don’t exactly care for the android users as much as the Iphone ones.

ASHA was made by google for mobile phones. Microsoft may adapt it for their windows devices or they themselves would need to partner with HA manufacturers to make their own version. But because of the recent embrace of open source I think MS might end up using ASHA.
I agree it would be useful on computers as well

note: this is just speculation.

Yes, but for me it’s more than useful. It’s a requirement. After all, my Marvels “already” work with my Android phone AND my Microsoft computers! :nerd_face:

They won’t support ASHA because by the time they’ve developed their ASHA solutions LE Audio will be finalised. LE Audio has a ridiculous number of advantages over ASHA and mfi. They won’t put in the resources for something that’s already obsolete.

I think the biggest limitation of even BLE is that it uses too high a frequency to go through body parts. It makes the communication unreliable unless there are a lot of hard surfaces around to reflect the signal. The real solution for hearing aids is a communication in the MHz not GHz range. There is this thing called our head and body that keeps getting in the way.

1 Like

Are you talking about communication between hearing aids here? I’ve found Bluetooth audio to be generally reliable.

Yes from phones to hearing aids, and in the case of the Marvel, from hearing aid to hearing aid too. BLE goes direct to each ear, but still has issues too.

Well, the LC3 codec in LE Audio is supposed to handle packet loss much better than current codecs. Maybe you’ll have a better experience.

Starkey’s 900MHz last generation solution has fantastic range. Like, hearing content all the way over at the neighbors house range. Unfortunately it is proprietary and dying off in favour of the standard that won’t stand still, Bluetooth.

Great post (a Golden Oldie) - relative to BT being 2.4 GHz, etc.:

Why Everything Wireless Is 2.4 GHz

Well ASHA is already available for use, since the launch of Android 10 for Pixel and Samsung devices as far as I know and the min requirement is v5 of Bluetooth which is the most current version at the moment.

LE means Low Energy and has been around some time. ASHA uses LE technology for a more seamless and better connection to the device’s OS. Only difference is that bluetooth now will add a codec specifically for better streaming to hearing aids. Since at the moment there isn’t a good one for hearing aids. They use SBC codec.
ASHA will be most likely and is for better UI handling of the connection and OS handling of the hearing aid streams.

Which makes it all the more reason why Phonak should start looking towards the newer bluetooths and ASHA.

I have no idea if Phonak will support ASHA, but I find it unlikely. More likely (in my mind–I have no special knowledge) is that they will eventually support the LC3 codec that @d_Wooluf referenced. It requires BT 5.2. None of this is expected to happen until sometime next year. There are long discussions about this in other parts of the forum.

There’s a problem with naming that confuses a lot of people. “BLE” is not “LE Audio”. BLE is the core specification for all of Bluetooth that uses the low energy radio. LE Audio- like ASHA and MFI- uses BLE for its underlying infrastructure. As @MDB said, it requires the very latest Bluetooth, which is 5.2.

LE Audio is the only Bluetooth audio standard that will survive. Sure, you’ll be able to buy MFI or ASHA or Bluetooth Classic aids for a while, but the future is LE Audio.

3 Likes

I hope we finally get to the point of a single standard, but I really have a feeling we will not, it seems companies want to make their own stuff to separate them from the other companies

2 Likes

I’m absolutely convinced we will. In this case, separating yourself from other companies means separating your customers from the services available to other people. That’s because LE Audio is not JUST a hearing aid standard. If someone in a group of people wants his friends to listen to the same audio he is, he can share it with anyone within Bluetooth range who’s sporting LE Audio earbuds OR LE Audio hearing aids. If your aids use ASHA, then tough luck.

It’s part of a push that the hearing aid companies initiated six years ago. The theory is that because of perceived stigma, only a fraction of people who need hearing aids buy them and use them. By encouraging the general populace to stick high-tech gadgets in their ears, you make hearing aid users fit right in. More sales for hearing aid manufacturers. Genius!

i hope you are right. But I am going to say this I am someone that really does not care about any thing as for as my hearing aids go as being able to hear and understand speech. And I would be glad if I could do that we just my aids with out they connected to anything else. I love that my aids can make the needed smart adjustments needed for most of my day and I don’t have to have a phone or anything else with me. Now I have to say I am retired, but I take and recieve phone calls on and off most of the day for 2 days a week, when I am volunteering on the Veteran’s phones. For that I do use my own iPhone. But I am getting to the point with my aids that I do not need the TV streamer, and I can hear my iphone most of the times now without the streaming as long as everything else is quiet.
What I am saying I want my hearing aids first and formost to help me hear as close to normal as posible without having to depend on any other device.

I get what you’re saying. Personally, I need all the help I can get. Sounds like you’re kind of on the cusp yourself. You can get by on the phone as long as everything is quiet. You probably don’t realise how much mental energy it’s taking out of you because that’s your current normal. I have a dread of phone calls, I don’t like calling around to see people to find that they’re watching tv, cause I’m the only one in the room not following the show.

I’m hoping that LE Audio will help with those things and more.

Oh I do, I did with the VA suicide hot line. I am very mentally out of it by the time I finish up with some of the guys and gals too. But I always feel great if I can get them the help they so dearly need. I also talk to Veterans that are getting or have hearing aids and are having problems adjusting to them. Too many had been giving up after a few days and stop trying to give it anytime to adjust. I have finally gotten brave enough to make up a little book of notes on how I managed to adjust. It seems to help. I also know that I will never not need the extra devices but I sure can wish. I do get to talk to the company reps that come to the VA clinic and when I do I feel their ears to what is really needed.

2 Likes