Phonak and Auracast

Will the Lumity aids be upgradable with a firmware update for the exciting Auracast technology?

No, this will not happen.

2 Likes

So I need to cancel my order for the Lumity. I really need this Auracast technology.
How long might it be before Phonak has it in their HA’s?

I doubt anybody knows who could share the info. Phonak has said something to the effect that they’re not in any hurry as their current tech works quite well. My guess, and that’s all it is, is that they’ll come out with a non-Auracast hearing aid later this year and do Auracast in 2026. They were also late to the game with bluetooth streaming.

4 Likes

I think the next platform is probably baked now. They will release it next year. (I guess I should shift gears and say later this year, 2024. Aug will be two years since audeo lumity released.) The SW folk need a stable platform for their end of the work. The release cycle is about 2 years, and the last new hardware was released when paradise came out in Aug 2020. Lumity was a primarily software based release. I think the auracast won’t be in this platform, but the next big HW platform release, which might be 5 years away, depending on how well the next platform performs.

WH’s crystal ball - I don’t have any insider knowledge.

WH

1 Like

It seems to me that with Resound and Sonova both offering Auracast this year Phonak will be significantly behind. I have struggled through church, plays and music venues for years, so I am anxious to avail myself to this technology. The TV connector is great and my expectations are that this new Bluetooth technology will be similiar

Phonak is Sonova, they won’t be doing LE Audio with Auracast just yet

2 Likes

Sorry I meant Resound and Signia

1 Like

All good, yeah I believe a lot more to come onboard very soon as well, I’m looking forward to it all, too bad it took this long for SIG (after 10 years of people complaining about connection and latency issues)

1 Like

Sorry for reacting a bit late, as not daily on the forum…

At least BT 5.2 or 5.3 must be in the hardware. Phonak has 4.2? So there will be no firmware upgrade possible for their old fashioned brand.

Interesting enough I found a passed recent webinar event with the discussion over Phonak and Auracast with Stefan Launer.

There are already other brands with BT5.2 HA on the market. Question stays of one of them will implement the software in their HA to use auracast. Better for them selling new ones with higher prices then updating the firmware I think.

With Auracast, if you are young enough, you’ll have a nice thing to look forward to.

That would have been interesting to watch.
To bad it’s not accessable anymore. Or could anyone find it elsewhere?

Indeed! +1 :pray:
Any of our forum members? Or an in-depth search on the internet…
As I assume Phonak itself will not reply…

Would a device with auracast already have bluetooth? If it does the Phonak can already connect to it.

There are various ‘flavours’ of Bluetooth. Bluetooth is just a type of transport, which carries various protocols and data. Without knowing correct protocols devices won’t be able to communicate with each other.

I’m guessing you’re right that the Phonak aid should be able to connect with classic bluetooth. Likely to be latency issues.

But we’re talking about a new Bluetooth 5.2 (branded Auracast) or higher that Phonak does not have/offer

It’s LE Audio that’s the new Bluetooth version, with Auracast, actually I thought it was 5.4 but whatever it’s backwards compatible right?

minimum 5.2 version.

Audiology online has a one hour course on Auracast Monday January 29 at 12:00 pm EST. You have to join to view it but it is free unless you want CE credit.

1 Like

Thank you,
I signed up. Not sure how to access it but hopefully I will figure it out