Philips 9040 vs Jabra Pro 20

Back in August, I upgraded my KS9 to a Philips 9040 on the advice of the Costco advisor. I must say he spent over a hour with tests and REM procedure and the resulting HAs were an advance over the KS9 in everyday conversation but in church or crowds, I was disappointed but had every intention of keeping them until the Jabra Pro 20 came out and although in the future, the auracast feature seemed to be worth changing which I have done. Another hearing advisor had the waiting for me when I arrived to pick them up and the only thing she did was adjust the base volume (I assume she used the info from the Phillips HA ). I’ve had them a week now and they are terrible. They have power domes and most voices seem muffled and sound tinny. A couple of questions. First, are settingw with one hearing aid transferrable to another brane and more generally, are existing Jabra pro 20 wearers having the same problem/ Thanks a lot (* don’t know how to post my audiogram)*

Just to clarify, what sounds terrible, the Philips 9040 or the Jabra Pro 20?

You should post your audiogram on your profile so people can tell what kind of hearing loss you have. That makes a difference in the discussion if people have this information about you.

Sorry to show my ignorance but when I click on profile, there is nothing about audiogram.

No. Settings from one hearing aid model are not transferable to another model. To post audiogram, click on Forum at top of page, then My hearing tests.

The Jabra sounds bad

Now that you have your audiogram posted, I can see that you have moderately severe loss in the low end and severe loss in the mid and high ends. If your Costco HCP only handed you the Jabra Pro 20 without doing any REM test on it like the other Costco HCP who spent over an hour with tests and REM like you said, then you need to take the Jabra Pro 20 back to Costco and demand that they perform REM on it, just like they did with the Philips 9040. It’s possible that the Jabra Pro 20 prescribed gain was underfitted, and REM needs to be done to verify this, and REM adjustment made to get the underfitted gain curve up to target level. Otherwise, you will not be happy with the result, especially with your level of moderately severe to severe loss.

Like @MDB said, there’s no option to automatically transfer the settings from one brand/model hearing aid to another brand/model. I would guess that Costco simply entered in your audiogram into the Jabra software and let it prescribe the gain curve for you. They might have manually adjusted some of the settings to try to match up what you have in the Philips 9040 into the Jabra Pro 20, but they might not have either.

The key thing is that they cannot just hand the Jabra to you and let you assume that whatever the REM adjustment that was done on the Philips carry over to the Jabra. It doesn’t work that way. They need to redo the REM testing and adjustment for you on the Jabra all over again. Then work with you further on other adjustments until you’re happy with what you have.

It sounds like what they did for you on the Jabra (just handed it to you without doing REM) is very negligent work.

2 Likes

To me - YMMV - the Pro 10s sound quite different from the 9040s. You’ve had months with the 9040s and a week with the Pro 20s. I think it takes longer than that to acclimate to new aids.

I doubt that anyone would transfer settings from aid to an aid of a different brand. It would be much easier to feed an audiogram to the fitting program and let the program do its stuff. I doubt the ReSound program can even read the 9040 settings.

IOW, to get a good trial, you need to get used to the 20s and have them tweaked. Then hope you remember your response to the 9040s, compare, and make a choice.

As been stated, they’ve set them up on a first fit, which is standard practice, however for Costco to not follow up with REM and to just allow you pick them up and walk out like that is unacceptable, go back and tell them to “fit” them probably!
As you’ve got a little bit off experience with the Phillips, you’ll know what to expect, ReSound (Jabra) are a good brand worth trying out

2 Likes