Philips 9030 Bluetooth

I’ve had these HA’s for about a year and generally they’ve been fine. One problem that I do have is connecting to my phone through Bluetooth. The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S9. I can connect to the Hearlink app with no problem. It shows how much is remaining for both and the location.

When I try to connect to the phone app or to YouTube, it only connects to one HA (normally the left). If I turn the left off and restart Bluetooth, it connects to the right. I have gone through restarting and re-pairing many many times and most of the time, I end up with the same result. Occasionally, it does work successfully with both. I believe that it worked with both when they were new.

Has anyone else had this problem? I can have them checked (and I may have to) but I hate to give them up for many weeks to do it.

Although the S9 is listed on their compatibliity list, I’ve heard of others having issues with the S9 on ASHA compatible hearing aids. So, my guess is that your phone is the issue. One thing to check is to make sure you have Android 10. Who’s your carrier. The person I knew of who had issues was with Verizon.
If it were me, I’d likely go to my cell carrier and see if I could try out a newer Samsung or iPhone. Note: There’s a difference between app compatbility and streaming compatability.

I do have Android 10. It could be the phone. I haven’t been able to find anything online about the S9 having that sort of problem but that doesn’t mean it isn’t. It isn’t that important to me that I would change the phone to fix it. I might just bite the bullet and send the HAs in to be checked at some point.

More likely the issue is with Android 10, not your phone…

Knowing it’s Android 10 checks off one box. The S9 issue I knew of was with @Raudrive . I believe it was regarding compatibility with a cochlear implant. For him the issue was that his carrier, Verizon did not update the S9 to Android 10. I believe the S9 is the first Samsung phone to claim ASHA compatibility. I think more mature products have less glitches. @mr.smithster may be right that it’s Android 10 that is at fault, but since there’s not a lot you can do about that, the likely solution is a different phone.

Try this, it can’t hurt, may help. …

1. Delete your aid app.
  2. Go to phone Settings, then Apps and click on Bluetooth. Clear the Cache.
  3. In phone Settings, go to Battery & Device and click Optimize. Then click Memory and click on Clean Now.
  4. Re-download the aid app from Play Store and sync to your aids.
  5. Try it out
    Sometimes the Bluetooth app is hidden, let me know if you can’t find and I can advise where it’s located
    Best wishes…

There are two versions of the Samsung S9 phone, different model numbers. The later model has Android 10. I happen to have the older version S9, it is not Android 10 compatible.

2 Likes

With all the issues related to android 10 that may be a blessing

I ended up buying a used Google Pixel 3 phone. It has the latest Android version at this time and is compatible with the Cochlear Nucleus 7 and Kanso 2 processors.

Android 10+ has not been an issue at all, no problems. Not sure what the difference is but it has been great in my experience.

1 Like

You are fortunate. Many have had bt issues after the 10 upgrade, myself included. I even considered rolling my phone back to 9, but that wipes the phone clean and i didnt want to deal with that. Recently went to ebay and got a used Phone Clip+ ($25) for my aids so now streaming is always beamed into both aids and it improves the sound quality too. I don’t like having an additional device, but with my unequal loss, if I lose streaming into my good ear, I have troubles with comprehension so it is what is it.

1 Like

For some reason that happens with Samsung and Philips 9030 sometimes.
To fix it:
Unpair the hearing aids from the bluetooth settings in the phone.
Put hearing aids in the charger.
Clear cache in Philips Hearlink app ( Settings → Apps → Philips Hearlink → Storage → Clear Cache)
Turn bluetooth off on phone.
Reboot phone
Turn bluetooth on
Pair one hearing aid at a time by taking right hearing aid out of the charger and pairing it through the bluetooth settings on the phone (do not use the hearlink app to connect)
Then take the left hearing aid out of the charger and pairing it through the bluetooth settings on the phone
Both aids should now be connected, streaming should work on both sides, and the hearlink app should locate both of them also.

2 Likes

I had to go two steps further to include…completely uninstalling and reinstall aid app, and clear my phones BT app cache before the install. Just clearing the aid app cache only worked for a short time. But even then, it still has spotty BT streaming into both aids reliably. That’s where the Phone Clip comes to the rescue

Thank you for the procedure, I finally got around to trying it and, in the end, it worked. It seems that the key is to do the pairing directly through bluetooth, not through the app. Although Bluetooth has the same name fir both HAs, after the first one is paired, the second one shows up as available so you can then initiate the pairing for that one. I don’t know if it is possible to give them different names but that might make it a bit easier. I guess they will continue working fine as long as the pairing remains in place.