Personal thoughts on trying out Starkey Evolv AI 2400 and some questions

So, I’m finally able to test these hearing aids.
Some context. I’m coming from a Starkey Halo 2 2016 RIC model with custom earmold. In these 6 years my hearing loss changed quite a bit, entering fully on the severe border. Also I think it’s important to acknowledge that this provider (in Italy) sell it for 4450 each piece, so almost 9000 for a pair.
PRO – it’s a top tech level model, it allows some more regulations and 6 years apart
CONS – frankly it’s a lot of money to ask for, it needs to be worth it – for years from the purchase

I start off with a random question: to your best knowledge, is it possible for a regular private costumer to log in into Strakey eShop from StrarkeyPro (professional) page, calling the referred number? If possible, I’m interested in seeing some more prices.

Anyway, it started quite in a turbulent manner, since I’ve been having some trouble with the regulation/fitting session. It’s not a total fair comparison – given that my current HA had many trial and errors before sticking with a very good regulation.

About regulation, I have a question: Real Ear Measurement work based on the audiogram uploaded?
I ask this because the fitter tried using REM data and the regulation that came out was super low, impossible to use and it turned out he was using an outdated audiogram.

So, it’s possible that I still don’t have a solid regulation on my trial hearing aids.
PRO – again, some more regulations available
CONS – it’s not a perfect match.
If I look at the Starkey line – my current HAs are an “AP model” a bit more powerful than regular RIC, while I’m trying a regular RIC – I’m not really sure if I’m fully inside the fitting range and if the 70/130 matrix can be played comfortably (in the data sheet it’s only referred up to 60 dB receiver).

My main perplexity right now it’s about feedback and other random noises.
So, with earmolds my current hearing aids completely solved the issue, in any noisy situation even with solid amplification no whistling, which was bothering me the most. This new trial hearing aids whistled from the very first moment, even if I’m using the same custom earmold from Starkey and even if the fitter applied feedback management and stuff. So, I can see that the regulation it’s loud, it’s a lot of amplification for a RIC model, and for this same reason I hope I can test some BTE as well.

I also mentioned random noises because I can hear randoms noises coming from these HAs. It’s like a “elaborating” sound, specifically like a “wa-wa-wa” sound. I’m 100% sure it doesn’t come from the environment since I can hear it in really quiet places and my hearing parents can hear these sounds clearly. This can overwhelm me easily and my trial it’s affected in a way, I ask myself I’ll ever get rid of this extra confusion, it’s distracting – I have to actively focus on voices that easily get outplayed by whistles and other sounds.

The situation is: it’s loud, it would be unthinkable to get the regulation any higher. Given that, even if I can “hear” loud – speech it’s not clear enough, I miss a 40% (4 in 10 words) in good/optimal situations, I miss even higher on complex situations. Soft voices are really difficult to catch - regardless of programs, app “equalization” and best efforts. If someone it’s just a bit ahead of me – 2 meters ahead while walking I miss most of it (with frontal, 360° or automatic microphone). I was seating at a rectangle table and I had to physically get near the person on the opposite side that was talking to hear. If multiple people are talking some voices are just above all the others and I can’t focus on the one I want to hear. Again it’s loud – any softer i’ts too feeble to hear, any louder would hurt my hearing PRO – i’ve heard sounds I’ve never heard before
CONS – I’ve trouble understanding quite a bit
I can hear – given that without hearing aids nowadays I’m in big trouble, hearing something it’s the bare minimum. I want to participate in speeches (not fully, to be aware and confident enough to carry on) and not having to ask “what” at any sentence. It’s not that it doesn’t work, it’s more like difficult to keep up with these sounds, part of the speech is getting lost/skipped.

Quality of sound. It’s more robotic, my parents sound different, I sound different and it seems 100% a constant recording playing from a stereo. Not unbearable, it even seems like it’s a different brand or my hearing loss got really worse and it’s impacting my experience with these HAs.
PRO – I can locate sound better – I don’t really understand what environmental sound is, but I’m deaf after all.

Other considerations.
The haptic function to activate “Edge mode” – an AI run optimization – it’s way to sensitive, I can’t even slightly touch hairs around glasses and HAs and it switches. Also, I’ve tried it in some situations like super market, car etc and I don’t really know why it pumps up sound and therefore voices are not really much clearer – to this point I don’t know if I got this function totally wrong.
They’re lighter than my current model which it’s nice. The rechargeable battery seems good in terms of durability for the use I have – I can’t tell if it’s only because it’s really brand new.

Final considerations.
I’ll have them for a month so I’ll keep trying them. Honestly I was expecting a bit more considering that 6 years and that price. It’s not a big no – I’m genuinely trying to understand where is the problem, whether is regulation or something else.

1 Like

You can change edge mode tap gesture sensitivity in the Thrive app, device settings, tap gesture. Sensitivity options are less, default, more.

I have Starkey Evolv RIC R 2400. Out of everything you mentioned, this is all I can help with.