Permanent Tinnitus

Is tinnitus associated with sudden sensorineural hearing loss permanent in all cases?

1 Like

I have had tinnitus 24/7/365 every since 1975. Some days are worse than others. When I take may aids out in the evenings is the worse. I have to sleep with a sound machine. For me there is no such a thing as peace and quiet.

1 Like

I never had tinnitus until 3 yrs ago, when I had SSHL. Fortunately mine is very soft I can just hear it. But my SSHL was permanent even with treatment it didn’t improve any. My end result was a CI in that ear, when wearing my CI I don’t hear my tinnitus at all.

1 Like

Same here since 1965; so I would call it permanent in my case.

2 Likes

I am sure you are like me and have just gotten use to it, and it doesn’t really bother you any more.

1 Like

I have not gotten used to the tinnitus after 55 years; the VA supplied sound machine does help at night, but the tinnitus is always there.

No it doesn’t go away ever, and there are times it is worse than other times. I just have gotten to the point I do not allow it to get me down. Life goes on.

2 Likes

Is your tinnitus due to noise exposure or hearing loss? Do you have a hearing aid that could mask it?

Yes all the way around. My hearing loss is noise related and military service related which is due to jet engines, and high powered weapon fire.

My tinnitus started in 1974. It was very high frequency then and didn’t disrupt speech understanding. Through the years the tinnitus has covered frequencies well down into speech causing deafness from 2000 Hertz up.
I was around noise all my life. I feel like the noise caused the tinnitus, actually pretty sure of it. As my hearing loss got worse the frequencies of tinnitus went lower also, hand in hand.
My tinnitus is 24-7, 365 days a year. Never worse or less. You learn to to except it and move on.

1 Like

Are you aware of it all the time? I know it must be there all the time, but I’m mostly aware of it when I read about it. (It’s screaming now! :smiley: Also am often aware when it’s really quiet. Surprising to me was when I trialed Oticon OPN there was some floor noise and it greatly lessened tinnitus.

Yes.
I am aware of the tinnitus all the time. Years ago it was terrible at bedtime without outside noise. A cheap noisy ceiling fan helps take your mind off the tinnitus enough to go to sleep.

Many years ago I thought I would go crazy because of the tinnitus. It made me want to be around some kind of noise all the time. Like you, if I thought about it I could become uncomfortable. Now and then I become more aware of it and have to think about other things to keep it in it’s place.

2 Likes

I have had Tinnitus for 30 years and it has been a pain in the butt almost ever since then… I say almost because Tinnitus (if it got way too loud) was for me an early warning sign for Meniers Disease and an attack was imminent and I would just lie down and ride it out till the dizziness, nausea, balance and vertigo passed, sometimes the MD would last an hour or so, but often it would be several hours, I would get cluster attacks lasting perhaps a week or maybe 2 and it was very handy to know when to lie down, if I was driving (though I didn’t drive much at that time) it was particularly helpful, I would just pull at a convenient spot and roll back the seat and wait for the MD to start… MD eventually burned itself out and took most of my residual hearing with it or what I had left, but the Tinnitus remained and it does indeed go occasionally off the scale and when it does I am acutely aware that I am unwell with some ailment or I am particularly stressed out with something or other… In my early days I was suicidal with the white noise, I could not sleep properly and it severely stressed me out, nowadays I am more laid back and more appreciative that Tinnitus actually helped me in a dark time in my life and I have totally excepted it as part of who I am… Yes it is a pain, but a bearable one. Cheers Kev:-)

1 Like

Hey. I have sensorineural hearing loss. For 20 years of life with hearing loss, tinnitus did not appear. Although, I suppose, he may appear later…

I was the other way around my tinnitus was there long before I was told my hearing was bad enough for hearing aids.

2 Likes

Did you have more than one instance of sudden hearing loss?