PatientBase won't install?

Any software experts here? I don’t need basic assistance - I am an IT guy, used to working in the registry etc.
I had PatientBase 15.0.386.0 and Inspire 2019.1 installed on Windows 10 Home and working fine, then realized that my older ITC aid was Audibel, so I needed the multi-brand version.
Uninstalled both Inspire and PatientBase.
Installed the multi-brand version and then went to install PatientBase and it fails every time.
On my third attempt now.
I have COMPLETELY uninstalled SQL Express each time (I didn’t have any data saved) - including wiping out all orphaned registry entries and folders etc.
Error I am getting is:

Component PatientBase Database has failed to install with the following error message:
"The system cannot find the path specified. "
The following components failed to install:

• PatientBase Database
    See the setup log file located at ‘C:\Users\xx\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD42D4.tmp\install.log’ for more information.

The only error in the log is right at the end, and tells me nothing:

Installing using command ‘C:\Users\xx\AppData\Local\Temp\VSD42D4.tmp\SQLExpress 2008\SQLEXPR_x86_ENU.exe’ and parameters ‘/Q /QUIET /hideconsole /INSTANCEID=“PatientBase” /INSTANCENAME=“PATIENTBASE” /SQLSYSADMINACCOUNTS=“BUILTIN\ADMINISTRATORS” /ADDCURRENTUSERASSQLADMIN=false /SQLSVCACCOUNT=“NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE” /FEATURES=SQLENGINE /SECURITYMODE=“SQL” /SAPWD=“wdgNGvrt-x4JeKWp” /ACTION=“Install” /INSTANCEDIR="%AllUsersProfile%\Starkey Laboratories\PatientBase" /IACCEPTSQLSERVERLICENSETERMS /SKIPRULES=PerfMonCounterNotCorruptedCheck’
Process exited with code -2147024893
Status of package ‘PatientBase Database’ after install is ‘InstallFailed’

The only thing I could try is maybe installing SQL Express 2008 R2 manually using those parameters?
The multi-brand Inspire (2019.1) is now installed and working - picks up both the Audibel and Starkey aids.

Anyone have any thoughts? I am baffled. :grimacing:

Are you installing as admin?

Yup. Every time.
I installed on another Windows 10 computer, no problem.
I have just uninstalled and manually cleaned folders and registry entries yet again.
Maybe 8th time’s a charm.

I gave up and re-installed Windows. That worked.
It seems like the uninstall option for PatientBase is not great - I am guessing it left something behind that made a mess of things…

I have tried to search and delete all items related to Patient Base in the registry and successfully cleared Patient Base.

Thanks - I tried that too. Spent hours at it, as I did not want to reinstall Windows.
Even did a monitored successful install on another Windows 10 box and reviewed all the added files, folder and registry keys/values. I didn’t get the hundreds of HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class entries, but I am pretty sure I got the rest of them.
The install still failed every time.
Oh well, lesson learned…

Curious what you get out of PatientBase? Assuming you’re not a provider programming hearing aids for multiple people, why not just work from the individual hearing aid software programs?

2 Likes

I am just new to this, but from my reading here, it seem that in order to save sessions, and/or back up and restore existing settings, PatientBase is needed. I have both Starkey and Audibel ITC hearing aids, and I want to have backups of the initial settings done by the audiologist in case I need to revert.

I don’t know Starkey or Audibel software, but for the one’s I’m familiar with (Oticon, Rexton, Signia and Phonak) one doesn’t need PatientBase. (This is the first I’ve actually heard of it) One just enters a client in the software and can save as many sessions as one wants. One can even enter multiple clients.

The Starkey software - Inspire interfaces with another piece of software - PatientBase or Noah, which stores session history, audiograms, etc. Inspire does not have that capability by itself.

Interesting. I haven’t heard of many Starkey DIYers and hadn’t heard that. Very different from the one’s I’d mentioned.

The term stand alone has been used for years concerning hearing aid software for us DIY programmers. In other words, do not load Noah, it is not needed.
At the end of each session you will be promoted to save the changes made during that programming session.

Patientbase is a coordination database program that interfaces with the fitting software for all the majors. It allows the audiologist to look up the patient and jump to the right fitting program from there. At its most basic, it is a switchboard. The fitting programs do save data per patient for their own hearing aids.