Painful new in-the-ear hearing aid

Hi! Ive worn iiic and cic hearing aids since 2013 all starkeys. I recently got a new starkey genesis that is a full shell. The audi i go to usually charges 8K but accepted 5k insurance payment with no balance billing with the understanding that any appts /contact would be self pay. I didnt love deal but i just had my 2nd kid and on maternity leave and couldnt afford 3k out of pocket. Anyhow they had to take 2 different molds since 1st mold there was a lot of feedback the audi heard when testing it in my ear. She didnt charge me for this. I got my 2nd fit yesterday and it felt fine in office but after coming home my left ear was hurting. You can see it noticeably red. Right ear is fine
I have been trying again today. It does take me longer to insert since im not used to full shell and always had previously a plastic pull wick. So i maybe reinjuring the ear not inserting it easily. The question is how much pain/discomfort is normal vs i should just pay for another mold. I do feel a definite sore spot. Prob too soon though for outright blister. I can take aid out give it some rest and reinsert but it will hurt again in an hour or so from that

If the molds are good sound-wise I wouldn’t give up on them. Try a water-based lubricant like Oto-Ease. If that doesn’t help enough, try an oil-based product like Miracell ProEar.

A little soreness is ok, but don’t push it to the point of it creating a sore or having it hurt the next day when you put the aid in. Lubricant is a decent idea. If their acrylic molds, a little bit can be sanded off by your audi (or you if you’re handy with such things.

Soreness is not acceptable. The redness should be noticeable and the audiologist should be able to modify the shell to be comfortable. Unfortunately, many newer professionals have never been trained in shell modification and just sent it back for a remake. Hopefully, your audi can modify the shell for a comfortable fit.

Did it get better? It’s interesting some say it’s ok and some say it’s not ok. Whenever I experienced pain with my CIC/IIC, it never gets better over time, only worse, and then it gets tossed (or rather, returned and a new mold taken).

1 Like

You are definitely heading down the road to painful contusions if you keep wearing the HARD molds. I’d just switch to BTE with wire and speaker/receiver in the ear canal that has a soft, WAY more comfy silicone dome on the tip.

NEVER accept pain as a final solution - or think it’s YOUR problem. If your current audi can’t do the job right, move on. I was in a similar situation for several months, fit going from bad to worse. Ended up with otitis, medical treatment, then found my next audi who was FANTASTIC for 15 yrs till I moved away.

Good luck to you!

Agree 100%. If one thinks it gets better with painful aids, recall that tight shoes NEVER get better either!