Painful domes

I was responding to the OP.
Trying to stay on topic.

Thanks. @Raudrive
OPā€™s post has helped me a lot.

Iā€™ll read and stay on track.

1 Like

I had to use the ā€œear lubeā€;for 2 weeks. Irritation gone

I went from large Phonak closed domes to medium size - there is a significant difference in size. My right ear is almost OK, but I think I may need the small in the left ear. It still is slightly sore. I only had ten minutes with the audiologist to swop domes, and go back next week for followup to original fitting. I am wondering what fitting adjustments I should expect him to do with the switch in dome size. He did real ear measurements at initial fitting, but how does one know if the hearing aids are fitted well

I am wondering how one judges the wire length

This might help you.
https://centuryhearingaids.com/fittingguide/

Thaks, I am wondering if he got the length correct

My audi (Costco, K10) gave me small bags with the different sized open and closed domes. Tried the closed and found then very uncomfortable. Used the open, medium in left ear, small in right, and got used to that over about three weeks. This morning I switched to small closed domes in both ears. So far, so good. No discomfort at all, and better function on the aids.

1 Like

Thanks for input. I think I may try small in one ear as still sore. I read that closed dome is for greater hearing lossā€¦so I imagine that is why he started with closed dome

OK, I changed dome size and it helped alot. I have closed domes because of my hearing loss. I went from large to medium in one ear and the soreness is minimum now. In the other ear, which is smaller, even the medium dome made my ear quite sore. So Audiologist gave me a different shape smaller closed dome and that causes no pain and is easier to insert. HOWEVER, I notice that when I cover my ear with my hand there is a ringing sound that can be quite high pitched depending on how my hand is placed. And if I lean back on a pillow there can sometimes be a slight ringing. I told my audiologist and he said it was the sound escaping because even the closed domes have pinholes. Is that correct or is he avoiding refitting to smaller dome??

What you describe is feedback. He might be able to eliminate it if he readjusted the hearing aids, but he would be reducing high frequency gain to do so.

Before I had custom ear molds, I had a medium dome in one ear and a small in the other. With the ear that had the small dome, I had feedback on certain sounds (school bell was a big one) and I sometimes had sound ā€œleakā€ out. At the time, I decided I could live with it because that was the closest fit we could find (tried quite a few domes). I did fine for 6 years. This time around, I decided I was tire of it and had ear molds made. This took some time to get the right fit. Now, I donā€™t have that problem at all .

2 Likes

Thanks for the comments. That identifies the problem I need to solve. I think I will ask to try some other dome shapes