Oticon Xceed SP 2 - a very late review

Recently I have been upgraded with BTE Oticon Engage 105 PP hearing aids on the U.K NHS. I wore them for about 6 weeks, with moulds, and although they were very smooth, I never really tested them properly. I had a few weeks where I was away, and had covid. I concluded from wearing them around the house, that they were not powerful enough. I am on the cusp of needing a super power hearing aid, and the audiologist agreed that after trying to tweak the feedback management system of the Engage, that I would need the Xceed.

The Xceed SP 2 (or UP 2 - highest power version) is what the U.K NHS dispenses. I understand that the Xceed 1 is the premium model and can scrub 9dB of noise, whereas the Xceed 2 only scrubs 5dB. I assume the Xceed 2 is only available because of the budget.

The audiologist decided to switch me from NAL-NL2 to DSL v5.0 Adult. This raised my eyebrows somewhat. I have never used this fitting formula, to my knowledge. She explained that it would help with the gain in the upper reaches.

You may be wondering why I am posting a review of the Xceed. After all, this is a 2019 hearing aid. Other people have posted reviews, although I haven’t seen anything in detail. What is interesting is that this is the first time I have really experienced the Open Sound Navigator, which as I understand, was first introduced in the Oticon OPN. There have been a lot of posts about this on here, and some like from @1Bluejay who is predominantly a Phonak user who tried the Oticon and had bad experiences in terms of noise, and switched back to Phonak. I have been fortunate enough to wear private Phonak hearing aids, whilst also being supplied with Oticon hearing aids from the U.K NHS. But I never experienced the Open Sound Navigator, Oticons 360 degree all around embracing sound platform. Until now.

The first thing I have to say, and I am really lucky in this respect and I feel almost bad in posting a really positive experience is that the REM and the fit I have had from my NHS audiologist has blown me away. I have rarely had a first time fit that has been absolutely superb in every respect. The balance of soft and loud sounds and general speech comprehension is just unbelievable.

I get into the car and put the radio on. The experience is similar to the Phonak APD 2.0, in that the loudness of the radio is coming through at a much lower volume than with the NAL-NL2. I can hear the engine, fan and the radio all at the same time, but I can hear the words on the radio. Among this noise I can also hear my daughter in the car. This is roughly the same experience with the Phonaks, but I believe I am getting more of all of the sounds coming through at the same time. It is a comforting experience in a way, as I don’t feel I am being deprived of anything. Sometimes the problem with Phonak is that the background noise lowering deprives you of what you want to hear at the same time. This is obviously Phonak’s attempt to giving you a chance to understand what is being said, whereas Oticon has the opposite philosophy - to give you a chance to try and comprehend what you want hear in amongst the mass of noise.

I went into London with my eldest daughter at the weekend. We visit the museums and go on the London Underground. For those of you who haven’t experienced it, the London Underground is loud, very loud. When the train is moving, it has been very difficult for me to comprehend speech in the past. I turn to my daughter and talk to her, and I can understand what she is saying in amongst the noise of the train. I have to move a little bit closer, but that’s what other people tend to do on the train, as it is so loud. The announcements come through in above the noise of the train, and these are the loudest announcements I have ever heard. The Phonak aids would have suppressed the train noise, but not these.

We get to the Natural History Museum and are walking through the packed Dinosaur section. It is one of the loudest experiences I have ever had in a crowd. In hindsight I should have turned my hearing aids down a touch. I had a bit of difficulty here and did not comprehend what my daughter was saying. However, in the Science museum I decided to switch back to the Phonak Naida SP and suddenly I had difficulty understanding my daughter. The room we was in wasn’t that crowded, but just very high ceilings and poor acoustics. I switched back to the Xceeds and my daughter sounded crisp and clear with excellent gain. I am now puzzled. The Xceed have outperformed the Phonak’s on this one occasion. The Phonak were in calm situation and sounded Okay, but the Xceeds were more lively.

I keep the Xceeds in, and we go to a Cafe that normally presents the usual problems for HOH people. Staff that you have to hear over the counter and metallic sounds and crowds. These however don’t bother the Xceeds that much. I can hear my daughter above the loudness, but I have to concentrate a little. But unlike hearing aids I have had in the past, her voice comes through loud and clear. There is no attenuation.

We go to the British Museum. My daughter does a lot of the talking as she is studying Greek and I have no problem understanding her. We go home and on the train, again, it is no problem.

The following day I ordered the Connect Clip. I have seen some negatives about this. Some don’t like an intermediary device. I don’t care personally. It duly arrived and I paired it to various devices. My experience with it is mixed. As a back up that is free, I am not complaining, but it is not as good as the direct connection to my iPad. There can be a bit of crackling. However, the audio with spoken conversation was very good.

Next up, McDonalds. This can sometimes be a problem. I placed an order and one person was calling out numbers. This is from where there is a lot of noise (>70dB), and in the past I have had to concentrate to hear the exact number being called. Not on this occasion. I can hear the caller perfectly - every number.

Battery life. These Xceeds take size 13 batteries. This is the biggest plus point I have seen. Helped by the low consumption Mfi (I assume) I have been wearing these aids for 8 days, and the battery life is at 50%!!! So that means that they are going to last approx 14 days.

My head is now in a spin. I will be doing further tests in noise, as I seemed to be now sucked into the Open Sound Navigator benefits and landscape. I am now feeling very conflicted. I have worn Phonak aids predominantly for the last 30 years, with Oticon aids supplied on and off by the NHS during that period. The Phonak aids have prevailed recently because of easier connectivity. However, noise problems have always been an issue. The issue now is that the Phonak Spheres are here and Phonak appear to be ahead of the game, and I use Roger heavily in difficult situations. However these Oticons are making me wish that I had bought them in 2019.

I am going back to Specsavers to try and get a better fit with the Phonaks Naida Lumity, as I believe now through this experience that it doesn’t match the quality of the NHS REM. I think it goes to show that the fit has to be one of the most important considerations of this whole process.

3 Likes

I feel exactly the same. I have Oticon Xceed from the NHS as well. Only downside to these is they don’t work with Roger very well at all.

2 Likes

I’ve worn Phonak my whole life even when analog but do prefer Oticon.

Oticon and Phonak both have positives and negatives but for me, Oticon has more positives.

Positives of the Xceed, the hospital can actually hear me when I’m on the phone, haha.

2 Likes

WOW, just a treasure-trove of observations and real-life experiences here - perfect test with the tube, museum, fast-food restaurant, also the accessories (Roger, ConnectClip). I’m intrigued that you seem to do well with both Oticon (open sound paradigm) and Phonak (probably overly aggressive with background noise).

Is the Oticon Intent and Phonak Sphere available for you to trial, or do you have to accept what the NHS offers? I was also amazed at your recent REM fit and the switch to DSL v5.0 Adult fitting. Hum. Should I be asking my audi about things like this if I’m clueless as to what I’m talking about? I’ve absolutely NEVER had a good intiial fitting, and now I wonder if it’s cuz the audi isn’t conversant with this kind of fitting option(s)?

While I have found that the Phonak Lumity Life delivered that sliver of speech comprehension I was missing with my older Marvels, I still find the Marvels absolutely adequate for use as a backup - even more so on trips cuz they take 13-battery and are not rechargeable.

Keep us posted with your follow-on trip to Specsavers. It seems to be a throw-down between Oticon’s Xceed 1 and Phonak Naida Lumity. I agree that the setting is KEY, and that is why I wish I were a DIYer.

1 Like

An excellent choice. I love my Oticon Xceed UP 1 + CROS with a few DIY adjustments. My favorite part is the battery life - even when streaming I have around 50% after 7 days of use - even streaming 8-12 hours a day. This is exactly why I will never go rechargeable unless they can reach the same level of performance. Not little wimpy 17-24 hour charges. I want my same 7-14 days without having to charge it. THAT is where it’s at, hearing aid manufacturers.

And the quality is superb.

1 Like

Thanks 1Bluejay. The NHS do not supply the very latest models, no. They tend to be 3 to 4 years behind what is available privately. In time this probably won’t matter as there will hopefully be comprehensive solutions to our problems, but right now I wouldn’t mind getting my hands on an Intent or Sphere, even though superpower versions are not available.

I do not know if DSL v5.0 Adult will make any difference to you personally. It was explained that this fitting formula optimises gain and output more than NAL-NL2. So if you want more loudness and overall gain it might be your bag. I believe it sounds similar to APD 2.0 - at least when I compare it to an earlier trial.

I have to emphasise that I don’t think these Xceeds will be killers in terms of a really noisy group situation. I think the Sphere and Intent are probably best candidates there.

1 Like

TWO thumbs up RIGHT THERE - and a bunch more words to reach 20. :wink:

1 Like

Indeed I had my audi increase MPO vs gain on my settings cuz I was trying to get a bit louder without distortion. Not sure it was that much better than before I had that done, but it’s now in the program as of last spring, so I’m living with it. She just tinkered with the MPO line as far as I recall.

1 Like

I’m curious, how long did your batteries end up lasting. :slight_smile:

1 Like

About 10 to 11 days in the end! Not too shabby.

3 Likes

Xceed 1 UP on 675 battery last 20 days.

2 Likes