Oticon TV Adaptor 3.0

Here is a puzzle for you. Allergy season arrives. Sometimes sneezing and a cough. However, EVERY cough with the Opn 1 connected to the Adaptor 3.0 causes the connection to drop. Wait a few seconds and it reconnects. The disconnect is instant and every time. The question is WHY. They are not particularly loud sneezes. At first I though my ear canals were blocked because the sneeze. Nope. I just lose the signal. I can only think that the mic is being overloaded but that seems far fetched. I reduced the gain on the Opn mic while in TV mode to zero. No change.

Could this be caused by transient suppression?

I would think that if a suppression algorithm were triggered that it would be a bit more graceful. Maybe someone with gunshot experience could tell us what the system does in response. My HAs are set to output at 64% of the rated headroom. That leads me to suspect the mic. But I zeroed it using the iphone interface. I may misunderstand that interface since I am not keen on IOS thinking.

A touch more data. The same sneeze does not seem to affect the HA if not connected to the Adaptor 3.0. And the mics are clearly on in this mode.

mmmm. . . mine will cut out if I hit a nail with a hammer or use a keyhole saw that makes a lot of noise. Sometime when I snack a nail on the right only the right opn cuts out.

Now this isn’t a reboot. The startup tune doesn’t play.

1 Like

I get the same issue with my left hearing aid (OPN 105db Power Receiver). When loud sounds occur, my hearing aid cuts out without a startup tune too. It occurs randomly when I walk in a busy street as well. I’ve notified my audiologist of this issue but haven’t reached a resolution yet as recently it has been happening at least 3x a day.

When I’m driving a car with the window open my Oticon Alta hearing aids will suppress the noise only on the one side (the noisy window side). When I run a leaf blower my hearing aids will suppress the noise on both sides.

There are settings in the fitting software to perform a quick transition to a different sounding environment, or a slow transition depending on how you answer the five setup questions about how you like to hear various sounds.

If this is what you are experiencing then I consider that normal transitioning from a quiet environment to a noisy environment.

Appreciate the suggestion, but I believe it’s not a noise suppression issue. If that was the case, then the noise would continue at lower sound levels when noise suppression is on.

What @Coroplast and I experiencing are complete sound cut outs by one aid either randomly or in loud noise situations. No sound is heard during the cut out time period, and it comes back thirty seconds later without a startup tune at the original sound level prior the cut out.

1 Like

My cutouts can be one or both. I get the single tone ( on each side) that you get when you select the TV Adapter but I do not get a full reboot melody. I run chain saws, blowers, tractors, air guns during an average day and I don’t get drop outs from those things. Just the Adapter disconnect based on a rather benign sneeze. I suspect there are two different fish swimming in this barrel.

A bit more info.

With an iphone which is not my typical domain the Opn makes two connections. One is low energy. I sneeze or cough connected to the TV adapter then the connection is lost but reconnects automatically (usually). If I sneeze or cough while connected to the iphone the connections are not lost. Ever. My only source of data is to watch connection status in the phone app since there is no audible for this connection. Is the connection between the Opn and the TV Adapter BT? Pairing implies it is. So why doesn’t the iphone connection drop? Same pickup mics in the Opns operating in both cases.

Well, the Opn to iPhone would have to use Apple MFi wireless communication protocol, while the TV Adapter 3.0 to Opn (since they are both Oticon products) could use whatever wireless communication protocol they want to use.

pvc: I agree with you. But would that entail another radio in the Opn since there is no intermediate device involved? I figured they would not add another radio to the smallish Opn for the TV Adaptor. My guess is the TV Adaptor demands the BT radio(s) when it is connected. Just a guess of course. If you get a phone call when the Adapter is paired I think it demands control of the Opn. Just guessing. The MFI interface likely seizes the connection for the phone call and then relinquishes it when you terminate. Still left with the cough question. Why?

TV Adapter 3.0 Technical data sheet says:

1. Compatibility: TV Adapter 3.0 works with all versions of Oticon hearing aids with 2.4GHz radio technology.
  2. Frequency: License free 2.4 GHz (ISM band).

2.4 GHz is the Bluetooth spectrum allocation in the US. Thanks. No additional radio required. Just some software traffic control.

Oticon licensed the RivieraWave BLE technology from CEVA so they must be using it at least for the TV Adapter and most likely for the Connect Clip as well.

So there’s no need for a new radio as they’re all 2.4Ghz.

I agree with this. I can tell that noise suppression is working when I play tennis and the pop on the ball gets muted. It doesn’t cut out the OPN.

I’ve had the OPN cut out when I sneeze or cough but not all the times and it always returns the connection.

This happens to me on my OPN1s when I stream from any source… either the iPhone, TV adapter or ConnectClip. Any loud noise causes the hearing aids to reconnect (but not quite reboot). Even my own voice will make it happen if i raise my voice. I suppose its because the amplification on my OPN 1’s is fairly high. I called the customer service number @Oticon that my audiologist provided. Got a call back saying it was a known issue with the latest firmware 5. Fix in the works…maybe Spring they said. Can’t wait…

Ah, Luga. Precisely. Thanks. When using the iphone mic on a phone call (which is technically streaming) and I speak too loudly it drops and eventually reconnects. Annoying! I had not made that “connection” until you said it.

Here is an update… it turns out there is apparently a workaround. After reading this post from Volusiano went to the audi and had her turn off the transient noise management feature and the problem has gone away. Worth a try on your end.

I have the 3.0 Oticon TV adapter and it works great while I am watching regular TV but when I go to Netflix it works for a while then the right green light blinks and in a few minutes the connection drops and the red light comes on. Does anyone know why this happens and how I can fix it?

I’m assuming that you are using the RCA audio input connections to your TV Adapter 3.0, right?

When connected this way, there’s a threshold where the input audio level has to be above in order for the TV Adapter to remain active. If the input audio level remains below this threshold level, after a while, the TV Adapter goes into Standby mode because it thinks that there’s no audio coming in, so why stay active and waster energy?

To fix this, simply increase the output volume of whatever you use to feed into the TV Adapter’s RCA audio input. This should keep the TV Adapter active all the times. If this results in too loud a volume on your OPN, you can just turn the volume on the OPN down to adjust.

I’m guessing when you go to Netflix, the programming on Netflix has a lower volume level than regular TV. Maybe Netflix has its own volume level online that you can increase. If not, you’d have to turn up the volume level of whatever is driving the TV Adapter.

This happens to me all the times because I drive my TV Adapter from my laptop.

I don’t know if the same issue happens with the TV Adapter’s Toslink optical audio input or not because I never use that.