Oticon rechargable battery lifespan

Do you know whether (Step-4 Reset battery statistics) was done when the batteries were replaced? Tip: You can click the below image to enlarge;

@pvc: Yes - I saw the reset performed with my own eyes on Genie2.

2 Likes

@prodigyplace: To answer your questions -

1. 9 months
  2. Yes, it’s a remote possibility
  3. Yes, batteries are covered by warranty in Canada
2 Likes

@SpudGunner thank you. So far, I cannot seem to get an answer about whether batteries are covered by the Oticon warranty in the US.

The batteries are part of the aids. Without these rechargeable batteries, the aids don’t work. So it doesn’t make sense if the aids are covered for 3 years but the batteries are not covered for the same 3 years. If the batteries are not covered under the same warranty, I wouldn’t even consider buying the rechargeable version in the first place.

If your HCP doesn’t know the answer, then isn’t it his/her job to ask Oticon to get an answer for you?

3 Likes

If the HAs/batteries were outside of the warranty period, what is a reasonable cost to get the batteries replaced?

I can’t speak to the overall lifespan of the battery, but I’m US based, and my understanding is that the battery is covered under the general warranty of the aids, which is 3 years. My audiologist recommended that right before the warranty period is up, I can come in and get the batteries replaced regardless of the current state. So in theory, at the end of 3 years, I’ll have fresh rechargeable batteries in there. I don’t know what the cost of a subsequent replacement would be, but assuming they last another 2 years or so, I’d likely be looking to replace my aids at that point.

Unfortunately, for me, just over one year in, the batteries have been the least of my worries so far, as one aid is in for a second repair or replacement already, so I have no real gauge on the lifespan of the batteries yet.

1 Like

Their warranty is vague in this regard. From the More manual International warranty.

This international warranty covers manufacturing defects in the device itself but not in accessories such as batteries, tubing, speakers, earpieces and filters.

The Oticon batteries are replaceable by the professional much like receivers. Somewhere on here they were quoted $60 for replacements.

HMm; reasonable cost? I dunno? I saw some on EBay that are unreasonable, for around the $60 price tag. But that was $60 for one battery, so $120 a pair. That is ridiculously high for a pair of little batteries, right?

Also, battery replacement requires that procedure which includes “Reset battery statistics” in order to guarantee accurate daily usage beeps. So you will need to consider who will do that for you.

Replacement under warranty (if available) seems to be the path of least resistance.

Not to belittle this $60 price, which I agree is not a reasonable price, but only to draw comparison, the ZPower battery (who declared bankruptcy and got bought by Riot Energy) is being sold on the zpowerbattery.com site by Riot for $65 a piece. On eBay, they go as high as $100 a piece.

For some reason that stuck with me, I vaguely remember somebody on this forum mentioned that their HCP quoted $300 to replace the Oticon Lithium-ion batteries for them. But I wouldn’t be surprised if they price it out as $150 for the 2 batteries and $150 for the reset battery service they need to do on Genie 2.

It sure makes the disposable version of the aids more attractive when looking at this battery replacement prospect.

1 Like

I’m quite certain the batteries are NOT accessories, but an integral component of the HA.
HA dispensers would most certainly not recommend battery replacement before the 3 year expiry date otherwise.

My guess is that language applies to the disposable battery models, which would make sense.

Totally agree.
But since the entire OP is based on Rechargeables, @prodigyplace’s statement is totally irrelevant.

I think the fully-charge-it bit for long-term storage is just to minimize the chance that a user will let the charger sit for a long time, and the parasitic drain would completely drain the battery and kill it. I’m keeping my ReSound Quattros and their charger as “backups” and checking the battery state on the HA’s and the charger once a month. I charge the HA’s until 3 of the 5 LEDs just light (~60% charge) and until 2 of the 3 charger LEDs just light (~67% charge). Neither the HA’s nor the charger discharge much in 1 month of sitting around. I store them in the coolest part of the house (the master bedroom closet on the ground floor of the north end of the house). I have so many chargeable things (both Li-ion and lead-acid) that I keep an Excel spreadsheet so I don’t forget to check the charge on something! Now if ChatbotGPT or Amazon Echo could keep track of that sort of stuff for me, that would truly be worthwhile AI.

1 Like

Except it should have been updated with their emphasis on selling rechargeables.

It is relevant because it is their current written warranty for the More. I have not received my Real yet to see if it was updated.

Except that is still their official, legal warranty contract for the More mimiRITE R as well as the miniRITE T. It also applies to the Zircon and Play PX.

For proof, here is an online manual just for the rechargeable. Look at page 39. I received a different one last month.

I read it, and I’m certain it’s the generic wording for disposables.
Rechargeable batteries are not add-ons, or accessories.

Way too much overthinking/overkill on this.

I’ll stick with what two separate audiologists told me when I was shopping hearing aids – that the batteries are covered under a 3 year warranty, and that right before the 3 years is up, definitely get them replaced for free.

As for the cost of of replacement outside of warranty, I will ask mine what it is when I pick up my fixed or replaced aid in the next week or two.

3 Likes

Good idea to ask your Audi!

btw> Oticon Real rechargeable batteries may be different and priced higher than More rechargeable batteries. This is what I was told by an EBay battery seller ($62 vs $79) per each (1) battery.

I know the shells are physically the same size.