Oticon Real have best wind noise handling I’ve tried

So I’ve recently tried 3 hearing aids in the last few months and wanted to share something for those who work out outside or are in windy environments a lot.

The Oticon Real has extremely effective wind noise handling and it made the other models I tried seem utterly terrible at that.

Both the Resound Omnia and Starkey Genesi AI had very loud and annoying wind noise that made me take them off while biking. That was even with the wind noise setting turned to max, by my audi.

On the other hand, the Reals have a very good method of controlling wind noise that works extremely well and doesn’t require you changing any settings or switching modes to activate it. Their wind noise mitigation is built in to all profiles except music I think.

Just wanted to share this for those within the low to moderate sloping hearing loss range like I am.

4 Likes

Oh, one other tidbit about the Reals for me: I actually found that putting the Starkey domes on them made them more comfortable for me than the Oticon domes. The Starkey domes are very comfortable soft material and rounded nicely.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing about the wind noise. That’s great to hear that there’s finally an effective technology from Oticon. They’ve claimed to have wind noise handling before in their previous models, but never put it in the center stage like in this round. The wind noise handling in their previous models is nothing to crow about. I find my OPN wind noise handling totally inadequate.

2 Likes

@MtnPhotog Thanks for the input on the Reals.
How do they compare to the other models you’ve tried?
Also it would be useful to input your audiogram (Top of page, click on FORUM and then My Hearting Tests), someone pointed that out to me recently.

I’m going to be testing the Phillips 9040 when I get them in a couple of weeks, but I was also interested in how the Reals perform!

1 Like

In general, I’ve enjoyed the reals the best for my hearing loss. Speech clarity is very good. They are the only ones that have had a stable Bluetooth connection to my iPhone. The app is good enough.

They aren’t quite as comfortable for me as the Starkeys, which just disappeared on my ears, because the wire is a little thicker and stiffer but I’ve gotten pretty used to them.

I trialed a pair of Oticon More 1s several years ago and noticed that they handled wind noise better than any other hearing aid I had worn. If Oticon would have included an ITE model when they released the Real line I would try them, but they didn’t.

Just to add to the original poster’s comments - I upgraded from the Opn1 to the Real1. The Wind and Handling Stabilizer on the Reals really does greatly reduce wind noise. However, I find that the “Handling” part of the the Wind and Handling Stabilizer to be worse than the Opn. Just touching the hearing aid, or putting on/taking off glasses is louder than on the Opn. It is a slightly different sound than the Opn, but nevertheless louder. Unlike the Sudden Sound Stabilizer, which can be set to one of five different levels, the the Wind and Handling Stabilizer is an on/off setting. I love the Reals, and the handling part isn’t a deal breaker, but just something to be aware of.

This is very interesting. Thanks for sharing. I remember reading on this forum from a few other posters that they or their HCP had tried rubbing on the Real aids and could not hear any handling sound. Have you considered letting your HCP know so they can complain to Oticon to investigate further? I just wouldn’t accept it as is since this is a highly touted feature by Oticon on the Real. Maybe that “handling” part is not working for some reason if you find it worse than your OPN. I wouldn’t let it slide without some kind of formal complaint and investigation with Oticon.

I agree that the handling noise is not nearly as impressive as the wind noise.

It seems equally as bad as the others I’ve tried.