Oticon real - dome question

Dear community, I have Oticon Real 1 HAs programmed for open bass domes and I am generally very happy with them. However, in some very noisy situations understanding is not always optimal. I do not have the „speech-in-noise“ program yet, so I will ask my audi to add that to the programs. I guess that double vented bass domes would perform better in noise as the noise supression should be more effective. My question: is it feasible to have one general program set for open bass domes and one set for double vented bass domes simultaneously on the aids? Same for 2 versions of „speech-in-noise“. Or wouldn‘t that make any sense at all? Would it be necessary to perform a new REM for the new programs with „double vented bass domes“ or would it be sufficient to just specify the dome type in the software? Is their any other advice how to improve speech-in-noise understanding with my configuration? Thank you and kind regards, Oliver

You only get to specify one type of dome for your fitting in Genie 2, and it’ll take this information to prescribe the gain curves for all your programs. But you can probably trick it if you’re a DIY or if your HCP is willing to trick it for you.

How you trick it is simply program Genie 2 to prescribe the gain curves for the double vented bass dome in General and Speech in Noise in a different user profile using the same audiogram. Then take a picture of the gain curves in the Fine Tuning section for these 2 programs. Then go back to the original/real user profile, create 2 new programs called General with Bass Dome, and SIN with Bass Dome, and edit their gain curves to match exactly like in the pictures your took. So now you have 4 programs, a General for open dome with REM, and a General for double vented bass dome without REM, and a SIN for open dome with REM, and a SIN for double vented bass dome without REM.

If your HCP is willing to do REM on the General and SIN programs prescribed for the double vented bass dome, then that’s even better.

Of course now you’d have to manually change between the physical open dome and the physical double vented bass dome to match with the program you choose.

1 Like

This sounds like a perfect solution. I will tell that my HCP - he is quite flexible so I think he will do that for me and it shouldn‘t be too much work, I guess. Many thanks for your input, Volusiano! Kind regards, Oliver

I visited my audi last week and he implemented your solution and so far I am quite happy with it. I actually think that the double vented bass domes perform better for me now than the open bass domes. My audi initially said that he believes that it does not make any sense to first move my audiogram to another user profile and specify the double vented bass domes there and then move the settings to my original profile and then do the REM. He said that it would in his opinion be sufficient to just do the REM with the new domes in my original profile. But he then nevertheless agreed to do it the way you suggested. I personally cannot judge if the two approaches would have resulted in a different outcome. Thanks again, Oliver

Glad to hear that the trick works for you, and that your audi was willing to accommodate your request.

Your audi’s suggested approach would work, too, come to think of it, if he’s going to do REM on it anyway. It would only be necessary to do it the way I suggested if he didn’t want to do REM on the double vented bass dome. Then we would need to rely on the prescribed gain to reflect and compensate for the effect that the double vented bass dome would have on how you hear it.

But if he’s willing to do REM on the double vented bass dome gain curve for you, then whatever different effect the double vented bass dome would now manifest through the measured gain curve is going to be compensated anyway, so that you can hear what the targeted gain curves say you should hear anyway. This makes the calculated prescription based on the double vented bass dome redundantly unnecessary.