Oticon Real - crunchy sound when moving jaw

Hi everyone,

For the past 1,5 years I have been trying various hearing aids starting with Staryky, then Phonak, Widex and at last, Oticon. Oticon gives me the most speech clarity and feels relatively natural to me. I have tried the Mores briefly and now the Reels.
However, I have a major issue: whenever I move my jaws when smiling, eating or other similar motions, I hear a crunchy sound due to the microphones moving up against my hair I assume. This is actually quite a loud sound. With all the other HA’s I haven’t had this problem. My audiologist has called Oticon twice but we are not able to find a solution. Due to this problem I am unable to select this hearing aid as it is too annoying. This is a problem for me because I need a good hearing solution.

Does anybody recognise this problem? And have you found any solution for it?

Many thanks!

1 Like

It may be “occlusion.” If it is, it can usually be remedied by using a more open fit. Posting your audiogram and telling us what kind of dome or custom mold you’re using would be helpful.

Thank you for the reply. My auditiologist does hear a pop when i move my jaws. We tried multiple domes but al tough there was some difference (good and bad), it wasn’t sufficient for me. Currently I use the Widex power dome, size XS.

Solving this issue would mean a lot to me as i’ve been testing hearing aids for so long now.

Thanks!

I still don’t have a lot of info, but a famous quote attributed to Churchhill comes to mind: “Perfection is the enemy of progress.” Finding hearing aids is a compromise. Seeking perfection will lead to an endless search. Widex power domes which are double domes I believe would lead to a pretty occlusive fit. If you have any kind of decent low frequency hearing, you’d get the kind of symptoms you report. Again, posting your audiogram (top of page, click on FORUM and the My hearing tests) would be useful. What don’t you like about more open domes? Perhaps poor sound quality while streaming? That’s a common one. Basic idea is figure out what issues you’re trying to balance and figure out an acceptable compromise.

1 Like