Oticon Real 1s slurring words, making "s" sounds sound profoundly "sh"

Hi everyone,

I just got hearing aids for the first time - Oticon Real 1s. I like them, but the first night I tried them on, as I was watching a conversation, one guy was talking and I thought, “Wow, it must have been pretty rough growing up with such a pronounced lisp (more like drunken slurring on “s” sounds)” But then the other person who I’ve known for decades started replying to the other guy, and then he started slurring. So this sentence: So the words like a snake slithers somewhere safe if danger is around, totally sounds like “Show the wordsh like a snake shlithersh shumwhere shafe when dansher ish around”. Everyone sounds like this, especially men with deeper voices. My online audiologist said it’s a common complaint with Real 1 users, but there has to be a way to tone it down, right?

I want to get the Genie 2 software, plus the Oticon Noahlink 2 device to program my aids. Does the device come with the software? If not, how do i go about getting the Genie 2 software (and how much it costs please)?

Welcome to the forum, great your willing to give DIY a go it’s all pretty easy enough but do read the user guides as it’s very helpful for setting up the first time, speech rescue could be the problem.

1 Like

Thanks Tenkan. I just found the Oticon Genie 2 User Guide and am downloading the software now.

Thanks Tenkan. I just found the Oticon Genie 2 User Guide and am downloading the software now.

1 Like

The slurring is a programming issue, not a hearing aid issue.

Yes, I found that out by turning off the wave sounds in my tinnitus support program. There’s virtually no slurring on this setting, but on my main three programs the slurring is unavoidable. Thanks for the reassurance. Learning lots.

2 Likes