Oticon Real 1 trial - unable to connect to iPhone for calls

While apple music on Iphone 13 with IOS 16.5.1 streams to HAs, phone calls do not connect to HAs.

Audi set things up. My own troubleshooting:
Unpaired (forget this device) and repaired.
Accessibility | MFI Hearing Devices shows Oticon Real 1 (R + L) as connected
all 3 are enabled (Stream to left. Stream to right Adjust independently)
mic levels @64
Presets are General 1 (default program)
Call Audio routing is Automatic

HAs programming setup by Audi was straight forward and iPhone is not setup in an exotic way.
My current KS10 (Phonak) work just fine; in Bluetooth settings they show as a device AND show as NOT connected so I don’t think KS10s are interfering in some way.

Rather frustrating and other parts of trial are not that encouraging, meaning not an improvement of Real 1 from KS10s and often Real 1 is worse.

Thanks for any hints.

What is your Media Audio Routing set to? If it’s set to “Always Hearing Devices”, then it would make sense if while music is being played on the iPhone then that would take priority over phone calls and would not switch to phone calls. If this is the case, set Media Audio Routing to Automatic.

If both are set to Automatic then it’s possible that what is being played currently takes priority over what comes later (currently played media audio takes priority over incoming phone calls) because first comes first served. In this case, if you want a late incoming phone call to always take priority over a current media audio being played, then set Call Audio Routing to “Always Hearing Devices” to take over the priority of the Media Audio.

I don’t know why the KS10 would matter but I would unpair them just to take them out of the equation.

Is there by chance an iPad connected to your Real 1s? If so, disconnect Bluetooth on it.

You want Media Auto set to “always hearing aids” under accessibility.

If you don’t have it set to “always hearing aids” (or maybe even if you do), start the music, swipe from upper right corner, and you should see your music “playing” in a box. Click on the ear icon and you’ll see an image like below. If the music is going to iPhone instead of the ear, click on the ear.

My understanding from the OP’s original post implies that he or she wants to have incoming phone calls take priority and take over the connection to the hearing aids if music is being streamed to the hearing aids. By setting the Media Audio Control to “Always Hearing Aids” like you suggested, I think the phone call audio routing will not get the priority to be connected to the hearing aids while music audio is being streamed to the hearing aids already, but instead the phone calls will be routed to the iPhone, which is not what the OP wants to happen.

Thank you both; at least I now “understand” that there are two “audio inputs” with as some yet to be determined interaction and priority. At least with Call Audio set to Always HAs and Media Audio set to Automatic; my outgoing call went to my Real 1 HAs so I can start to hear-trial-test (for me; and for person I call) how satisfactory it is. From recent thread of another, it seems that many people have sporadic satisfactory AND unsatisfactory iPhone call experience. That was/is true with my KS10s, but now at least I can determine when Real 1 works and is seemingly satisfactory does it meet or exceed KS10s?

Bottom line … much thanks to both of you so I can set my technology and then focus on A-B comparisons.

Yep, you’re right. I thought there wasn’t any music playing under any circumstances. Misread the post.