Oticon Opn S or Phonak Audeo Marvel?

That’s some great info for us new to OPN’s. If I new I was getting the OPN’sfir sure, I would go ahead and get a Noah link. I would like to see what my audi had all those settings on.

The open sound booster seems to work on some ambient noise and not other. I have a window ac in my office and OSB cuts it out well. It just rained here and the cars going down the highway are loud from the water on the roads. It’s doesn’t help that at all. Maybe because of the distance the sound is from me?? AC close, cars far.

The OSN does sound balancing, and the Balance module is a directionality system that uses an MVDR beam former to help attenuate well placed noise sources that have a precise location that can be attenuated in order to improve the signal to noise ratio of speech. The figure below and captured text goes into some details.

Maybe the AC is a well placed noise source with a precise location that can be more easily attenuated while cars going down the highway are not as well placed so harder attenuated. I’m just guessing here, but I believe your experience of the OSB is similar to many others who reported that it doesn’t consistently help. The OSB is basically similar to turning on the Directionality Setting in the OpenSound Navigator to Full Directionality and set the Noise Reduction values to max settings. You can do some testing in OSB, have a sound source in front of you (a speaker playing music or something), then sit of a swivel chair if you have one (or stand) and turn around slowly. If you notice the speaker sound gets less loud as you turn your back to it, then the directionality setting is helpful for you. If only very slightly less loud (like in my case), then it (and the OSB) is probably not as helpful.

1 Like

That’s pretty much what my audi said now that you say that.

I have already noticed this, even wo OSB enabled. OPN’s directionally is real good.

Thanks for such detailed information. This is great to know!