Oticon Opn S 1 and Phonak Marvel M90 are losing connectivity with iPhone when I’m at home

I’m not a hardcore techie, but I can fumble my way around to a degree, but I’m at a loss with these hearing aids. I purchased, but am in my trial period for the Oticons, but not happy with them, because they lose connectivity with the iphone on a regular basis at home and at my office. Additionally, streaming is very poor - bad sound quality or sound only in one ear, or cutting out, etc. Right ear cuts out for no reason from time to time for a few seconds. So I have a trial set of the Phonak Marvel M 90’s which seemed to work great until I got home. Now, they won’t pick up on phone calls and the iphone can’t even connect with them at this point. They worked for a few minutes after repairing, but then crashed. They are still happily paired with my ipad and were all day long, even when both devices worked perfectly together. I’m driving myself crazy trying to figure out why nothing is working while at home, I have a wireless camera security system, maybe that’s the culprit? Any advice?

I have the OPN1 ITE hearing aids and I am not having connectivity issues with my iPhone 7 Plus. Now I will have issues if my iPhone and my iPad both have the bluetooth enabled at the same time, as my hearings are paired to both. And they can only be connect to one or the other and the iPhone and iPad will fight over which is connected. So most of the time my iPad has the bluetooth disabled.

2 Likes

They can only be connected and stream to one device at a time. Turn off the Bluetooth on the iPad and turn on the BT on the iPhone. You do not need to pair and repair. Simply click that blue Bluetooth icon in the control center - it turns white when BT is off. Your iPhone will now – should – stream, stay connected and you will be able to take phone calls easily. When you want to stream from your iPad - reverse it – turn off BT on iPhone - turn on BT on iPad. Play with it and see if that doesn’t work for you. I think the iPad has had control since if it remained on.
As far as the poor sound quality, your Audi needs to adjust that in the fitting. Check out the DIY side of this forum for tips and hints-very informative.

2 Likes

The fact that they work great elsewhere but start giving you problems only when you get home suggests that it’s not the hearing aids, but it’s something going on at your home, some kind of interference. That may explain both the connectivity issue and the quality issue when you manage to get them connected.

If you suggest that it may be the wireless camera at your home, try turning that off to see if it helps. If that’s not it, maybe turn off the router and see if that helps. Or whatever else that emits wirelessly that you can think of. Of course this is just for debugging, you need your router and can’t turn it off forever. But at least if it helps when the router (or whatever else you can think of) is off, then you know what is causing the interference.

It may be an issue with your iPhone as well. So do you have the same issue with your iPad? Maybe you can try another family member’s iPhone to see if the problem exists with that iPhone as well?

The fact that both the OPN S1 and the Marvel M90 exhibit the same issue suggests that it’s not the hearing aid, but it’s some kind of interference at your house. Especially if they work OK when you’re somewhere else but not at home.

4 Likes

Might be a WiFi issue? My friend couldn’t get her Roger System to stream at home and it turned out her WiFi was blocking the signal.

2 Likes

That would be unfortunate. I have a Bluetooth keyboard I use with my ipad so I need to keep the Bluetooth functionality on the ipad. If I had to choose, I’d probably disconnect the HA’s. Both the iphone and ipad seemed to work fine at the audiologist’s office.

Was she able to find a solution to the wifi blocking the Roger system?

I have the iPhone, iPad, tv connect, home phone connect, and the connect clip. My iPhone or my iPad works smoothly with the tv connect. The connect clip is used to connect to the home phone, and laptop. I cannot connect my connect clip to the iPhone or iPad because they will prevent the home phone from connecting. I have also noticed that if I have the connect clip powered on I loss the remote control capacity of my Apple Watch. I haven’t tested my car system yet but will soon.
It boils down to you can only have the hearing aids connected to one IOS device at a time which goes against wha Apple has claimed.
I believe the connect clip and watch issue is the fact the connect clip is also a remote control for the aids.
Sorry if this confuses you, I am a technical professional and I maybe retired but I still love a good problem to solve.

I have the OPN S 1 and use an iPhone 10r and iPad and have found this same problem - having to shut off blue tooth on the second device. Hopefully Apple will come up with a solution to this inconvenience.

1 Like

My friend changed the channel the WiFi was acting on. (Not very good at proper terminology.)

I know the Roger is completely different to your hearing aids but it might be worth turning off your WiFi router to see if it helps?

I am by no means a techie and I do not have an iPad or iPhone but I do have Oticon HAs and I am very satisfied. It was not always that way. It all got better as I learned how to use my HAs and how to control them. Try not to use the buttons on your ear pieces or if you do make sure you know how. Improper use can mute your HAs. I did that frequently at first. Airplane mode I think they call it.

Resound has awesome accessories. I have gone from Quattrro to Audeo Marvel M90RT. The hearing is better. Yet, the Motorola XPR7550e that connected easily to my connect clip will not connect with my M90RTs. That sucks…both are Bluetooth classic…should not be an issue.